2015 Tacoma, 1,015 miles, Factory Fill Front Diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double-Cab V6 4WD. I always change factory fill fluids early. I thought it would be fun/interesting to perform UOAs on the factory fill, just for curiosity's sake. This sample is from the front Differential. I was curious about:

1) Whether Toyota really uses 75W-85 as factory fill. (Yep, they *do*)

2) Whether it really is worth it to change out factory fill so early. After seeing this UOA, I think it is, but you be the judge. Keep in mind there is only 1,015 miles, and 3 months since the truck was built.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has commented on the high Insoluables (2.0%!) on this. Since there were only 1,015 miles on this fill, I am sure it's not oxidation of the lubricant causing it. Do you think there is that much crud left inside the front differential after manufacturing to make Insoluables 2.0%?

No biggie..that is why you do an early change on the fluids. The potential on decreases wear on the components as well as the abrasion on the seals over the life of the unit is well worth the cost of an early change. The benefits are noted in SAE papers.

CT8 -

Do you have the names or titles of these SAE papers, or better yet, a link?

There is another thread in the UOAs - Gasoline forum in which I posted an early change on the engine in this same vehicle. That thread has been somewhat controversial, in that some are suggesting early changes are not a good idea. If you have a pointer to actual studies of the effect of early changes, that would certainly add something substantitive to that discussion.

I read them in the trade magazines we would get at work. Probably in the 1990s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back