Bought a new Glock 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked into my local gun shop yesterday looking to buy a 9mm compact. Leaning towards the M&Pc at first but after handling both I felt the Glock 19 was just the perfect size for my needs. I owned a Glock 17 previously and really liked it. I've also shot many M&P pistols and liked them all. In the end it was strictly about the sizing for me. Going to a range tomorrow to test it out. Can't wait to see how I shoot with it!

Love the 19.

That why I've got 3 of them...

;-)

In all seriousness, it's a great size, not too big, but big enough to hold 15 rounds and to allow my hands to get a good grip. Glock reliability. Reasonable price. What's not to like?

Last edited:
The 19 is the single most popular pistol in the world. It is just that good and most serious CCW people end up carrying one. It has been my daily carry for 15 years. Check out www.RMholsters.com and their "Low Rider" holster. Most user friendly holster I have ever used and very comfortable! Give us a range report when you get a chance!

When I used to go to the range in Calgary the Glock was hands down my favorite.

The look, grip, feel, recoil angle, sight picture....

But I always hated the safety on the trigger. It makes me nervous.

I wish they would add a button on the back of the grip as well.

A Glock makes you feel confident you can hit anything, it truly is a great gun.

My Glock 21 45ACP is not very accurate. Not sure if it's the 45 or the gun but I shot a Beretta 40 and it was very accurate in comparison.

Nice!

I have 3 Glocks and shoot the G23 the best out of all of them (it's the .40 clone of the 19 I believe).

Originally Posted By: spk2000
My Glock 21 45ACP is not very accurate. Not sure if it's the 45 or the gun but I shot a Beretta 40 and it was very accurate in comparison.

Usually it is the shooter not meshing well with the ergonomics of the gun. I find that most of the name brand guns tend to be more accurate than the shooters that use them. Could just be the gun does not work well for you. I know I have guns that I have a hard time hitting well with that others seem to find effortless.

If you shot a Beretta 96 or Px4, the grip angle is closer to a 1911 where the Glock grip is more angled like the old P08 Luger.

Originally Posted By: Falken
When I used to go to the range in Calgary the Glock was hands down my favorite.

The look, grip, feel, recoil angle, sight picture....

But I always hated the safety on the trigger. It makes me nervous.

I wish they would add a button on the back of the grip as well.

A Glock makes you feel confident you can hit anything, it truly is a great gun.

The Glock trigger is easily modified to be heavier or lighter. I use the Lone Wolf carry trigger wich is a NY1 spring with a minus connector. It installs in 10 minutes and makes a much nicer and "safer" trigger for conceal carry. It adds weight to the takeup but leaves the trigger break just a bit heavier than stock.

OP congrats on a great choice, If I could own only one handgun it would be a 19 or 26. Currently I own a 17 and 26 so I have a size for any use.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice choice. How much was the 19 ?

They had it listed at 589.99. When they realized I was a serious buyer and had cash in hand they were very open to negotiate. So I was able to pick it up for 550 before tax. I felt that was a fair price and I like to support a business in my town if they are courteous and helpful which the employee's there were.

The 19 is a great shooter for me. Trigger is exactly what I expected from a Glock as is the reliability(no failures in the 100-200 rounds I put down range). Tried a few different backstraps for feel but only shot with one of them installed. I may try out a few others as well but as of right now I'm quite satisfied.

I luv Glock; easy to field strip, easy to full strip, parts availability, mods and add-ons up the wazoo, tenifer finish 99% saltwater resistant, shoots dirty forever no problem, v.g. pricing...

But I hear Glock don't wanna provide non-LEO support in anti-gun states like MA - and if they do, they'll return your gun back to an FFL, who then cannot pass it back to the owner because it's not on the MA AG's 'approved list'.

S&W's lifetime support looks good by comparison since they've tons of MA 'approved' firearms. Just sayin' wish Glock would bend over and get approvals.

Last edited:
I put a Glock 17 trigger in all my Glock 19 and Glock 26 guns. The smaller guns have a "serrated target trigger" that gives them enough points for importation. The G17 trigger is smoother and much easier on the trigger finger.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Excellent choice! I would imagine it is a gen 4?

Yes. The Gen4's are more expensive than the 3 but they do come with a third magazine.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
I luv Glock; easy to field strip, easy to full strip, parts availability, mods and add-ons up the wazoo, tenifer finish 99% saltwater resistant, shoots dirty forever no problem, v.g. pricing...

But I hear Glock don't wanna provide non-LEO support in anti-gun states like MA - and if they do, they'll return your gun back to an FFL, who then cannot pass it back to the owner because it's not on the MA AG's 'approved list'.

S&W's lifetime support looks good by comparison since they've tons of MA 'approved' firearms. Just sayin' wish Glock would bend over and get approvals.

S&W's lifetime warranty is also fully transferable. Glock has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. So a big win for S&W as far as warranty is concerned. In my case not really an issue as my dad is an armorer for S&W and Glock both. So while I would have to pay for the part if anything breaks after a year, it could be overnight shipped to him.

From a quality standpoint I would not plan on any problems from an M&P or Glock either one. I do know that early Gen4's had some issues but they seem to be corrected by now.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice!

I have 3 Glocks and shoot the G23 the best out of all of them (it's the .40 clone of the 19 I believe).

Yep.

I find it neat that a G19 barrel and magazine will work in a G23 and vice versa. I imagine it's the same with other like models, but I don't have experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back