M1 HM 10w30/40 in place of M1 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing how M1 HM 10w30/40 is the only A3/B3 HM oil out there (to my knowledge?), would there be any issues running this in place of M1 0w40?

The vehicle in question is the 2004 A4 3.0 V6. Since it is finally getting driven, I've noticed that it leaves a few drips on the garage floor every now and then. Nothing serious by any means though.. just an annoyance.
27.gif

Thanks.

M1 0w-40 has better cold flow properties, so I'd be inclined to just stick with that. Besides, it far exceeds the basic ACEA A3/B4 performance spec.

BTW, how much did the whole camshaft repair end up costing you?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Seeing how M1 HM 10w30/40 is the only A3/B3 HM oil out there (to my knowledge?), would there be any issues running this in place of M1 0w40?

The vehicle in question is the 2004 A4 3.0 V6. Since it is finally getting driven, I've noticed that it leaves a few drips on the garage floor every now and then. Nothing serious by any means though.. just an annoyance.
27.gif

Thanks.

You could, but in Indiana, I would try Shell T6 5W40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 0w-40 has better cold flow properties, so I'd be inclined to just stick with that. Besides, it far exceeds the basic ACEA A3/B4 performance spec.

BTW, how much did the whole camshaft repair end up costing you?

3k. The mechanic looked it over and said the old engine was a [censored] shoot since it could have had cam lobe debris throughout the engine. He found a donor engine in a junkyard with about the same miles. He did the timing belt and water pump too IIRC.

I think you would be fine with M1 hm. I'm getting ready to use it (10w40/5w30 mix)in my 04 below because of a leaking aftermarket oil cooler line I'm tired of replacing.

Which products meet the requirements of your engine? If they all meet the requirements then choosing based on cost would be understandable.

I think VW 502.00 is in there someplace. M1 0W-40 meets it. Do the others?

Either one of the M1 HM flavors would be just fine in the 3.0. But, I think that all of the M1 flavors at Walmart are the same price so I don't see the point.

It sounds like this new engine is just like all the other Audi 30V ones, as they all like to leave their mark on parking spots. Check the rear lower corners of the valve covers and the exhaust cam caps on the back of the heads. If the cam caps are leaking, they are an easy fix by jamming a screwdriver in them and prying them out and tapping in the new ones. Usually a 30 minute job per side. I have a bunch of leftover cam caps from VCG kits, so let me know if you need any.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Either one of the M1 HM flavors would be just fine in the 3.0. But, I think that all of the M1 flavors at Walmart are the same price so I don't see the point.

I think he is hoping it'll stop his leak. It's worth a shot I guess, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

I think he is hoping it'll stop his leak. It's worth a shot I guess, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Yes it was to stop the leak. Price isn't the issue.

Well, let us know how you make out. My 530i is very slowly dripping oil from the rear main seal, and I'm not about to pay $1K to have that seal replaced. Maybe I should give HM oil a try as well and see what happens. Although I'm not a fan of running 10w-XX during a typical Michigan winter...

I see.

In my case, I only do annual changes because I drive so little. Not a fan of going back and forth between different oils either, but that's just my personal OCD....
smile.gif

Well, let us know how you make out. My 530i is very slowly dripping oil from the rear main seal, and I'm not about to pay $1K to have that seal replaced. Maybe I should give HM oil a try as well and see what happens. Although I'm not a fan of running 10w-XX during a typical Michigan winter...

My RMS was done when my clutch was done. I was surprised at how short lived the part was given how long the ones on my Windsor Ford's have lasted
21.gif

That is dealership price or?

I would stay with Mobil 1 0W40 and add a can of "Motor oil saver". It will stop the leak if it is a gasket and it also has a great add package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back