BITOG app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/quote]gives a more smartphone friendly interface.
21.gif
[/quote]

I have noticed that forum apps are easier to use on my Galaxy s 3 rather than the full website. It does condense things down. I really wish they would make a bitog app.

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
[/quote]gives a more smartphone friendly interface.
21.gif

I have noticed that forum apps are easier to use on my Galaxy s 3 rather than the full website. It does condense things down. I really wish they would make a bitog app.[/quote]

+1

Good smartphones work the full sites just fine. Why would I sant another app to have to deal with when I could use the site natively?

Although not essential, one cannot really deny that a dedicated app is better, more compact, faster, and easier to use - especially when attaching/uploading photos, or links, etc.

I would use one if I had one, but i only rarely browse BITOG on the go, so I can nicely manage it on my iphone (4s) if I need to access it when I am outside.

BUT please don't say an app like tap-a-talk is not better than regular interface when using a smart phone/tablet etc - they ARE. in EVERY way.

(I am aware tap-atalk is not a free app, but one can use ALL forums with it, once you get it - AND the app store makes a normally paid app as 'app of the week' very often, and it's free for the week...you never know when tap-a-talk will get 'app of the week/free' status)

Last edited:
i would definitely love too see a app for it. im 39 and get alot done with my android, but use the laptop or desktop when in here.

BITOG uses the UBB.threads software. THEY need to make an app, and at that point, any of the millions of forums running atop it could make use of it. There is really very, very little about this forum that is specific to BITOG. It is a very lightly modified UBB.threads stock theme with the BITOG logo, it seems.

Having said that, there is a forum-reading app (tapatalk - http://www.tapatalk.com/) that seems to work well on Android devices.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Good smartphones work the full sites just fine. Why would I sant another app to have to deal with when I could use the site natively?

Tapatalk is WAY better than a full app on every other bulletin board site, so I don't see why it wouldn't be faster, better, sharper, more user friendly for BITOG vs. opening a silly browser on a smartphone.

All I'm saying is that BITOG works perfectly on a smartphone, as do every other forum that I frequent. It works just like it does on my computer screen. I couldn't care less for some "slick" interface or semblance of a mobile site (which I never use), especially if I had to pay.

Being able to run full websites via browser is one of the prime reasons why I have a smart phone. Not to step back with some other interface. YMMV. No reason others can't use other methods, I just wouldn't advocate or care to use one.

Some tweaks to the css(style sheets) with a larger font and eliminating the left "navigation" aka Recent Topics on mobile would make it much more palatable on a smartphone.

If I get bored at work I will post something.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
All I'm saying is that BITOG works perfectly on a smartphone, as do every other forum that I frequent. It works just like it does on my computer screen. I couldn't care less for some "slick" interface or semblance of a mobile site (which I never use), especially if I had to pay.

Being able to run full websites via browser is one of the prime reasons why I have a smart phone. Not to step back with some other interface. YMMV. No reason others can't use other methods, I just wouldn't advocate or care to use one.

I'm fairly new to the BITOG forums. The main reason is that I find that most of my Forum discovery and participation these days is on my mobile devices. While this was not the case 3-4 years ago sometime since then the transformation just happened. I still use my several PC's to access forums when I am sitting at a computer. I think that's the part of our lives that are changing. I just don't spend as much time sitting with a computer. I find that I want to participate in conversations more often and using my phone seems to be best way to do so whenever I have the opportunity.

While I can still access BITOG site on my phone it is more difficult to read and post than some native mobile apps. This very post is taking significantly more time to post on my phone than it needs too. Tap-a-talk is a useful and efficient method to search, read and post to forum communities. There is a very prevailing theme in the BITOG community and it seems that many community members embrace tools that are more efficient even if it cost a few bucks. Tap-a-talk is just a better tool for mobile devices. It has no positive or negative impact on the generic PC forums.

Until you use it you really wouldn't see how it can be useful and how it would encourage more participation.

I think the big fundamental problem is that UBB.threads is way behind the technology curve. When the BITOG site was created UBB may have been the best platform for the site developers at that time. However it's not the best today. Check out their own forums and you will see that their own user community has been waiting for over 2-1/2 years for update 7.6 which may include mobile integration like tapa-a-talk or Facebook login. In todays internet driven world 2-1/2 years between upgrade versions is simply not going to cut it.

I guess we will need to be patient a bit longer and hope that UBB version 7.6 does come out soon and allows for a better mobile integration.

Just wanted to resurrect this to say: I was a computer browser of the ih8mud forum. Until the ih8mud iphone app came out. Now I find myself browsing on my phone more often than the laptop. Unless you've experienced useful mobile features like:
1. Not having to zoom and then scroll carefully to read posts (big problem, esp on BITOG, which is not mobile-friendly with the sidebars)
2. Superfast capturing and posting photos
3. Getting push notifications of new PMs and new posts on subscribed threads right on my phone
4. Much faster hierarchical navigation w/ touchscreen to quickly browse through subforums, topics, etc.

...then you really have no idea why a mobile app is such a major convenience. I didn't, either, until I started using one. I'd be happy to contribute money toward an app. Just let me know where to send it.

An app is pretty unnecessary. I only access bitog on my iPhone 5s and have never had trouble doing so, just need to zoom in, no big deal. Some say it would be easier to upload pictures, all I do is open another tab, go to tinypic, upload my picture, copy and paste the link, and paste it into my post. It takes maybe 20 seconds to upload a picture.

I completely agree that BITOG does work quite well on most mobile browsers. However, the fact of the matter is that the year is 2015 and keeping up with the trends in technology is an absolute necessity for websites such as this to remain relevant as more and more people use mobile devices as their main source of Internet access. If BITOG doesn't keep up with the times, it will no longer be "The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Website".

I have it on my smart phone and ipad too. While I normally dont post on the go, I can. My only issue is my phone is old and slow. If it was newer and faster, it wouldnt be as much as a pain.

A mobile app would be an unnecessary expense IMO unless many users were willing to chip in and help fund it.

And of course we get the obligatory responses from those who've obviously never used a mobile forum app, for whom the status quo is "just fine". I'll reiterate: unless you've experienced all the useful mobile features I've described on a daily basis, you really have no idea why a mobile app is such a major convenience. I didn't, either, until I started using one. I'd be happy to contribute money toward an app. Just let me know where to send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back