Tires for 2006 Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out to check the van in my signature and found the 4.5 year old Michelin X tires with 22K on them starting to crack in between the 6/32" of tread on them.
Not a happy camper to say the least.
Van only has 72K on it and does not get driven a whole lot (wife not working right now,) so, we will be keeping it for awhile.
There has never really been a plethora of options for these vans, and they seem to eat a set about every 40K or so. Would appreciate recommendations for replacement tires (non-Michelin.)
Thanks in advance.

Michelins were tempting for my to buy in Montreal as they have a large availability of sizes and give 70$ off very often.

BUT.

I was scared off by reading online about premature cracking.

So for me, the only tires that I trust at this point are Continentals.

They have product lines that appeal to me, but I don't read much about them having issues with cracking rubber which is a huge + to me.

We threw Goodyear Assurance on our '06... We don't put a lot of miles on the car but are pleased with the handling, low noise... And they run run nice rebate deals often from what I've seen

i had 18" Bridgestone ecopias on the 07 RDX when i sold it; it handled well on dry, rain and on slush. i would do it again for the 14" Odyssey when it's time. Costco and tire rotations are awesome (late evening weekdays)!

OT: I'm curious as to where on the tire the referenced cracks are appearing? I need to take a closer look at my Primacy MXV4's soon. I looked recently but not that closely, noticed some very minor (my estimation) cracking by the rim/wheel tire bead area. Have ~35k miles on them on an Accord.

Is this cracking something that may be warrantied by Michelin (or DT if you purchased there) for some type of proration towards a new set?

Seems for Michelin, the biggest complaint I read here is about cracking sidewalls.

Let us know what you decide as replacement.

I've also been told by a friend with a 13 Ody that the GY Assurance tires the dealer put on the van when they bought it are really good tires, especially in the snow. Hopefully for your 06, they aren't as expensive as the 18" ones I was looking at for our 13 TE. $200 a piece made sure they were not on my short list when the time comes.

I will likely go with Conti Cross Contact LX20s because they are more of a SUV tire than passenger car. The Ody is one porky vehicle that I think overwhelms passenger car tires.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
OT: I'm curious as to where on the tire the referenced cracks are appearing? I need to take a closer look at my Primacy MXV4's soon. I looked recently but not that closely, noticed some very minor (my estimation) cracking by the rim/wheel tire bead area. Have ~35k miles on them on an Accord.

Is this cracking something that may be warrantied by Michelin (or DT if you purchased there) for some type of proration towards a new set?

Seems for Michelin, the biggest complaint I read here is about cracking sidewalls.

Let us know what you decide as replacement.

Tires came from Sams Club (they were running a sale, and I bought 6 tires that day.) I doubt they would do anything because of age. Nonetheless, I still think that it is inexcusable that these tires are cracking.

I had such a good experience buying tires for my Accord from the Ford dealership that I deal with that I will probably head down there and see what they have.

For those of you wanting superb year round performance Nokian has a real AS with excellent snow performance, the WRG3 for earlier Odyssey's. We had a set installed on my father-in-laws '02 or '03 and they were a quantum leap better than the OEM Michelins. They have a newer tire aimed at Vans or SUV's ib think, the WR C3 in 235 65 16. Not terribly easy to find but superb tires. I use WRG3's on an '07 AUDI A6 Avant while switching between Nokian Hakkapelitta R2's & Nokian Zlines on my '06 A6 Avant. The '06 Came to me with high end Michelin AS's & the '07 had OEM ContiProContact's. The Nokians are far superior tires IMHO!

Went to the Ford store that I deal with and was presented with five options (four actually, because I still don't really want another set of Michelins.) All have $120. in mail-in rebate except for the Generals. All prices are for four tires installed OTD after rebates:

Michelin Defender $651.85
Continental Cross Contact LX20 $643.25
General Altimax RT-43 $608.45
Dunlop Signature II $499.85
Yokohama Avid Touring-S $423.95

Only tires that I have any personal experience with are the last two. Really like the Yoko's but not sure how well they would hold up in the application. Same question about the Dunlops. Have had plenty of Generals but no experience with this model.
Input anyone?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Can you post a picture of the cracking? Also, which is the exact name of the tire? Are they Energy LX4?

I would be glad to, if I could ever figure out how to post pics on this forum. Have tried unsuccessfully many times. You are correct, they are Energy LX4's. The originals were Michelin X's.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Went out to check the van in my signature and found the 4.5 year old Michelin X tires with 22K on them starting to crack in between the 6/32" of tread on them.
Not a happy camper to say the least.
Van only has 72K on it and does not get driven a whole lot (wife not working right now,) so, we will be keeping it for awhile.
There has never really been a plethora of options for these vans, and they seem to eat a set about every 40K or so. Would appreciate recommendations for replacement tires (non-Michelin.)
Thanks in advance.

The LTX A/T2's that were on my Colorado were about 5 1/2 years old when I replaced them. They had cracks everywhere. I won't ever buy Michelins.

Went to the Ford store that I deal with and was presented with five options (four actually, because I still don't really want another set of Michelins.) All have $120. in mail-in rebate except for the Generals. All prices are for four tires installed OTD after rebates:

Only tires that I have any personal experience with are the last two. Really like the Yoko's but not sure how well they would hold up in the application. Same question about the Dunlops. Have had plenty of Generals but no experience with this model.
Input anyone?

Any feedback on these options?

My only experience with any of those tires is I have a set of General Altimax RT43 on the 1970 Beetle, which is like driving a washing machine down the freeway.

But that's a good thing, because before getting new tires it drove like a jackhammer!

Input anyone?

Any feedback on these options?

The Dunlops seem to be a good value. They get positive reviews and seem to be a bit of a "sleeper" tire in the sense that it seems to perform well and at a reasonable price. They were on my short list when I bought tires for my CR-V. Given the trouble I've had with the Firestones, I sort of wish I had bought the Dunlops.

When the time comes to replace the tires on my Ody, I will likely be going with the Continental LX20s. There are a few reviews on Tirerack on them installed on 3rd gen Odys and they are very positive. I think the porker of a van would benefit from a truck biased tire compared to how it performs with a passenger car tire.

Defenders on a 2007 Odyssey... smooth, quiet, a touch firmer riding than oem Michelin tires.

Very good dry grip, decent wet grip and hydroplane resistance.

About 50 000 miles, and tread is about 1/2 worn.

And NO CRACKING...!

I got a smokin' deal on the tires, which is, however, probably the only reason I bought them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back