Carfax availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any but carfax is pretty useless. Bad dealers know how to get around carfax. It's not that hard really.

You can go to craigslist and find pages of wrecked cars with (clear carfax not reported to insurance company).

Carfax can be useful but if your buying from a dealership be aware they typically send cars with bad carfaxes off to auction. Most car lots have their own garages for a reason.

Really not trying to nag but take a carfax report accuracy with a grain of salt. It's not that useful and only really exists to put pressure on dealerships to pay for there absurdly large subscription charges.

Run an autocheck also. Carfax can show a clean history where autocheck showed an accident.

Plenty of banged up rental cars get fixed on the company dime. The work doesn't show on Carfax as it never went through an insurance company. If I had to do it again and Carfax showed it was a rental I would walk away.

A CarFax report is just ONE piece of information.

A few months ago, I saw a a one-owner, Certified Pre-Owned 2011 Town and Country-L van, that only had 30k on the odometer. The CarFax didn't show any negatives. Regular maintenance/oil changes, no wrecks.. all looked fine from there. It was a Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned vehicle as well.

Between it being a one-owner, with good CarFax, and CPO certification... I assumed that I'd found my van.

However, when I saw it, that van had huge issues. I just didn't walk away... I ran as fast as I could. If it wasn't low miles and qualified for CPO, the dealership would have sent it to the auction without a second thought.

It was filthy dirty on the inside. The windshield was scratched, the leather on the driver's seat was already starting to crack and split open, it had about $800 in paint damage on one fender (it was starting to rust as well), no manuals at all, the front bumper cover had been run up and over a tall curb multiple times, and was now pulled loose from its mountings (and was scratched and gouged on the underside), and one door was filled with light door dings, all in a row (apparently, it had the same vehicle parked next to it all the time).

But hey... the CarFax report looked great.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
A CarFax report is just ONE piece of information.

A few months ago, I saw a a one-owner, Certified Pre-Owned 2011 Town and Country-L van, that only had 30k on the odometer. The CarFax didn't show any negatives. Regular maintenance/oil changes, no wrecks.. all looked fine from there. It was a Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned vehicle as well.

Between it being a one-owner, with good CarFax, and CPO certification... I assumed that I'd found my van.

However, when I saw it, that van had huge issues. I just didn't walk away... I ran as fast as I could. If it wasn't low miles and qualified for CPO, the dealership would have sent it to the auction without a second thought.

It was filthy dirty on the inside. The windshield was scratched, the leather on the driver's seat was already starting to crack and split open, it had about $800 in paint damage on one fender (it was starting to rust as well), no manuals at all, the front bumper cover had been run up and over a tall curb multiple times, and was now pulled loose from its mountings (and was scratched and gouged on the underside), and one door was filled with light door dings, all in a row (apparently, it had the same vehicle parked next to it all the time).

But hey... the CarFax report looked great.

I thought CPO had to meet certain quality standards and would be in very good shape. How is this possible?

Carmax, Carproof... as they said. Nice to have, but not accurate enough for me.

Pay someone competent to inspect the car... if the dealer insist it's not needed, RUN!

Had found a clean Carproof recent Mazda5 with low miles. VIN confirmed good warranty with Mazda for another 4 yrs. But... my mechanics inspections revealed the car had WAY more mileage than displayed. Tires had been swapped with a used set, brakes were shot, steering rack leaked (both sides) and A/C condensor had eaten too much small rocks to be only 19000km old.

Took my deposit and RAN as far as I could from there!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I thought CPO had to meet certain quality standards and would be in very good shape. How is this possible?

Certified Pre-Owned = Genuine Used Car

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back