New Car: 2015 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Delta
Looks very similar to the 2.4 2AZ-FE's we had several years ago in an 02 Solara and 06 Camry.

A few less fluids to check with the new Camry. No more p.s. fluid and the atf dipstick is gone. The battery in the 2012 Camry isn't maintenance free like the 2007 Camry we had. So maybe check the water levels in that every year or so. Nice car!

Good choice. Also, this model does not have a CVT. I still have reservations about CVT durability except in Prius which is mechanically not the same as other transmissions labeled CVT.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It appears that some people are actually avoiding the purchase of a new car with DI. The Camry 4-cylinder makes a good choice if you plan on keeping the car.

From a long term ownership perspective, the extra expense of maintaining the DI bits and pieces could make it a risky investment.

Simple and time tested is better. Let the early adopters sort out the details.

I'd have to agree; I only have eight years and 151k miles on the 2.3 liter DI turbo motor(now making @314 hp) in my MS3. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop any time now...

That's reashuring. I had some original concerns when I purchased my Fit....the DI and the CVT.

While many have had great reliability with DI, some have not. I hope that I am one that does. I trust Honda...I hope they don't let me down.

To the OP....nice car. Should be a great vehicle for years of trouble free use. Toyota is among the best for value in my opinion.

Honda and Toyota generally are good at what they do. I am a strong believer that, if anyone can make the CVT work, it is going to be Honda or Toyota ... or both.

Congrats! Love it! We've got a brand new 2015 LE in the family now too. Our LE was $22400. Pretty sure your higher up model was more than that. Your sticker price had to be $27k

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Honda and Toyota generally are good at what they do. I am a strong believer that, if anyone can make the CVT work, it is going to be Honda...

Honda can't even make a regular automatic transmission work!

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Honda and Toyota generally are good at what they do. I am a strong believer that, if anyone can make the CVT work, it is going to be Honda...

Honda can't even make a regular automatic transmission work!

That was two specific transmissions. Other than the 4 speed V6 and 5 speed transmissions around 00-04 or so, they are generally very good.

Yep, I've seen Honda automatics coupled to their 4cyl vehicles go 200-300K miles.

I know had the our deal not worked out for the new 2015 Camry LE, the next stop was to the Honda dealer for an Accord.

Comparing base models, I was quoted 2015 Accord LX prices that were a few hundred dollars less than a new Camry LE.

Nice thing about Accords is, even the base model comes with aluminum wheels. Our new Camry LE has 16" steelies with plastic hub caps. To me, the ride is better with the rubbery 16" tires.

Good looking ride. Our old Camry is still chugging along nicely, and I'll probably go with Toyota the next time around as well. Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: JTK
Congrats! Love it! We've got a brand new 2015 LE in the family now too. Our LE was $22400. Pretty sure your higher up model was more than that. Your sticker price had to be $27k

Congrats to you as well! I think your right about the original msrp of mine. I haven't been able to drive it much as I've been away working out of town (and state for that matter...) so it has about 530mi on it now, and I refuse to leave it parked at the shop all week while I'm in the company vehicles, so the Jetta is the new beater so to say. The first tank of gas lasted over 400mi in the Camry, with alot of town driving it still netted 30mpg.

1,400 Mile Update:

So far so good. We really like the car alot and are just finding excuses between me being out of town to drive it.

As of now Pro's:
Fuel Economy, 30+ mpg on every tank w/alot of town driving
Great tuned suspension, can handle mountainous passes with ease
Well made comfortable seats for the longer trips
A/C is GREAT, even on the 90* days we've had so far it will cool in in minutes
Engine compartment is spacious, as DIY friendly as our 02 and 06 2AZFE equipped Toyota's

As of now Con's:
Transmission. I literally hate this thing. It wants to shift WAY too early for its own good and will lug at any chance. It's especially annoying on the back roads. I'll often keep it in manual sport mode with a limit of 5th gear on those roads. This may be the cause of some interesting cases of struggling to go up the mountain pass on Route 30 near Caledonia.
The A pillar is atrocious. I'm short at only 5'8" and it's really bothersome to see pulling out. I can only imagine if I was taller how bad it would be, or it could be the way I pull up the seat.
The trunk has no inside pull handles to close it. I guess I've been spoiled by my VW on this, but there's nothing worse than sticking your hand on the freshly detailed vehicle to close the trunk.

This isn't a con, but I find it hilarious in the service booklet it wants to check the drivers floor mat every service. It even has a warning on the mat itself... Some people...

Originally Posted By: Delta
Transmission. I literally hate this thing. It wants to shift WAY too early for its own good and will lug at any chance.

The transmission programming was a major factor in me trading my 2011 Camry for the CR-V a few years ago. I bought the Camry new, in May of 2010, and it was fine on the test drive. It took about 200-300 miles for the transmission programming to really settle in. I found that I had to use the manual shift mode nearly all of the time just to get it to drive right. There were other reasons why I traded it, but the transmission programming was a serious issue with me.

I also agree with you on trunk handles -- I don't think the 2011 had them either.

Our 2011 lacks handles. I am tempted to use some 3M film on the edge of the metal where one normally touches. The trunk goes too vertical to always easily touch the plate.

I found, on the one time I drove a 2011 auto, that it shifted fine--but could not hold a gear for its life. Always doing something. My Tundra, and the Corolla auto I test drove, I sometimes will hold a lower gear, but more often I just premptively force a downshift. Programming is lacking on this vintage.

Yes, that awful transmission programming. What adds to my dislike is it will not only shift up too early, but it will then decide that the engine RPM is too low so it will unlock the TCC. Yuck, more heat, more mush, more waste. Please shift later and keep the TCC locked Toyota, do it like Mazda!
wink.gif

I don't mind early upshifts, can use the manual mode to lock out upper gears.

I just wish mine was a bit more subtle, when I let it upshift it often is more jarring than if it decided when to shift. Unnerving.

I know this thread is old but I'll probably select a Camry SE for my next company car. I can choose from a few but the more I see the restyled Camry, the more I like them.

I don't like the red stitching on the seats / dash / gear shift.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I know this thread is old but I'll probably select a Camry SE for my next company car. I can choose from a few but the more I see the restyled Camry, the more I like them.

I don't like the red stitching on the seats / dash / gear shift.
If the company car budget allows, maybe look into the Avalon too. About $28k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back