painting steel rims..

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought a set of used Toyota steel rims and they need a little sanding and a coat of paint over the factory silver, thinking I'll go couple shades darker then clear coat. Was wondering what brand spray can or type of paint holds up?

tia

Our local autoparts stores have a line of wheel paints, check yours. Or you can be trendy and Plastidip your wheels. It is removable ya know.

I've had good results from washing (soap and water, drying, sanding-which can be tedious, priming with either Rustoleum clean metal primer (brush application) or Rustoleum Rust Reformer (spray).
I'd go with any Krylon spray paint.

If there's a better, more durable paint out there please let us know. Kira

Several years ago when I painted my MGB wheels, I first took them to be media blasted. I then did as Kira said, and used Rustoleum products. Ended up with a very nice durable finish.

Second the Wurth recommendation. The paint can be a little tricky to get right, but is a very durable finish.

In fact I am refinishing my Triumph wheels over this weekend. I had done them 16 years ago w/ Wurth and only have to redo them due to chips and scrapes from getting new tires last weekend...

Wurth makes some good products. I was surprised to see a big Wurth parts case in one of the Gas Monkey Garage shows.

Wurth O.K. on steel rims? do the offer primer?

I plan some light sanding then steel wool everywhere pime and paint maybe a light pewter w/ clearcoat then a black center cap.

Yes and yes, Wurth offers a primer although I tend to use etching primer when I've taken wheels to bare metals.

I used the lacquer without clear coat (as w/o the clear, it is a very close match to the original soft silver that Leyland used at the time).

I just quickly washed mine and then roughly sprayed them with one coat of cheap satin black spray that cost me $2.38 at the local auto parts store (SCA).
I had all 4 wheels off, washed, dried, painted and back on within about 30 minutes cause I wanted to see what they looked like and had every intention of doing a proper job at a later stage when I had more time!
Well that was nearly 2 years ago, I wash them at least once a month and they still look like this so I never bothered to re do them!

good prep work would make all the difference. scuff them up good then lay down some primer then top coat. make sure to follow all paint applications correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back