rust on a 6 month old Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen this many times on those year Impalas. A newer white car with rust streaks looks terrible. I looked under a silver 2011 Suburban LT and was surprised from the amount of surface rust near the rear tire on the underside of the floor. The galvanized sheet metal seems to rust just as bad as the older thicker standard sheet metal of years ago. It's just much thinner. A good body shop will have that looking great again, but it does suck on a 6 month old car.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Chevy had the same issues with the horizontal chrome strip on the trunks of Impalas. My mother has a white 2006 LTZ and it has two rust streaks down the trunk lid where the paint was worn through and it rusted. Nearly every Impala I see here has some degree of the same issue with rust poking out from behind that chrome strip.

Luckily for you, Nissan is admitting and fixing the problem. Not so for those Chevy owners.

No salt used here on roads but no doubt my 07 Nissan Titan will rust in half before the motor is shot. I've never had a rusting frame driveline or differential here prior to my nissan ownership experience. The tail pipe simply rusted off a few years back during warranty period and they said that the emissions warranty only covered up to the muffler - tail pipe excluded. Thanks so much nissan. Never again.

Ferrous metal oxidises in the presence of air and water. If you keep that metal separated from air and/or water with primer, paint, clear, and underseal then it *cant* rust.

The Scirocco lives outside 24/7, gets washed weekly, underside rinsed off with a karcher attachment weekly, waxed monthly, underseal renewed/touched up monthly, and a full interior/exterior detail 6 monthly.

It's been repainted and the body guys said there was no rust anywhere, and there has never been any mention of rust or corrosion on any of the 33 annual examinations it's had.

I do all the mechanical work on the car, I know it inside out and back to front, and there is NO rust.

Only shoddy manufacturing coupled with lazy owners allows vehicular corrosion.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The Scirocco lives outside 24/7, gets washed weekly, underside rinsed off with a karcher attachment weekly, waxed monthly, underseal renewed/touched up monthly, and a full interior/exterior detail 6 monthly.

For those of us who have a wife and children, there is no way in heck that I'd ever have time to do all of that to a vehicle. Heck, even back in my early 20s I didn't have that much free time.

Ferrous metal oxidises in the presence of air and water. If you keep that metal separated from air and/or water with primer, paint, clear, and underseal then it *cant* rust.

It's been repainted and the body guys said there was no rust anywhere, and there has never been any mention of rust or corrosion on any of the 33 annual examinations it's had.

I do all the mechanical work on the car, I know it inside out and back to front, and there is NO rust.

Only shoddy manufacturing coupled with lazy owners allows vehicular corrosion.

At 78,000 miles and 33 years on that vehicle, me thinks you are exaggerating here a bit about how heavily the vehicle is exposed to the elements. Now, if that vehicle had 300,000+ miles, I would be impressed.

Still, kudos for your upkeep and determination
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: silveravant
At least the floor hasn't rusted through yet.

I was thinking the exact same thing! The notorious Altima rotting floor pans.... it's a d@mn shame, stupid stuff like this ruining otherwise good cars.

I am not saying you are wrong at all. But I wonder if this is a northeast upper Midwest peoblem ?? My car is 7 yes old and it looks great so far underneath it. But again, I bet in other colder climates this is obviously a very real issue. Like you said... Sad. And poor design involved with this.

What is this exactly?

Originally Posted By: Apples555

What is this exactly?

Fancy word for the waxy rustproofing most German makes use.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yup, at 2,300-2,400 miles a year I don't see how it could possibly rust.

If those 2,400 miles was done at an average speed of 50mph, I come up with 48 hours of driving time. Call it 60 as I suspect it sees a fair amount of slow city.

Congratulations. You quite possibly spend more time cleaning and maintaining your car than actually driving it.

This isn't just a Nissan issue. I've fixed this exact same issue under warranty for dozens of Equinoxes and Focuses. Best bet is to add 3M clear chip guard tape under the corners of the license lamp moulding.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
No salt used here on roads but no doubt my 07 Nissan Titan will rust in half before the motor is shot.

Previously Seattle didn't salt the roads, but now they do under certain conditions: http://seattletransitblog.com/2008/12/31/seattle-to-use-road-salt-during-future-storms/

I'm actually in Kitsap County. Don't think they salt? Bought here/drive here. Very rarely passed through Seattle in winter for ski trips only.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Nissan and Mazda should have a competition to find which manufacturer can make a car rust faster.

LOL

That's pretty lame. Here in Florida we don't have to worry about rust except for trucks that put boats in salt water.

It would really be unusual for a new car to rust. It's a trade off we make for not getting seasons or winter.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

I'm actually in Kitsap County. Don't think they salt? Bought here/drive here. Very rarely passed through Seattle in winter for ski trips only.

http://www.kitsapgov.com/pw/snow_ice.htm

Thanks. Have never had a vehicle underside rust before and been driving here for 28 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back