Experiences with all seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace my OE A/S tires with a set that is better in snow. The OE tires are fine for my needs in most conditions, but I am willing to trade a bit of quiet and ride for better snow performance.

Vehicle is a Range Rover Sport, 255/50-19, current tires are Continental Contact 4x4.

I am looking for thoughts.experiences with:
-Pirelli Scorpion Verde
-Conti Extreme Contact DWS (my initial choice)
-Dunlop Signature HP
-Goodyear Eagle F1 AS

Or any other recommendations...Thanks.

The Conti DWS are not better than most tires in the snow.
They are just better than most UHP tires in the snow.

Also, the new DWS06 are out.

Last edited:
IMO, you'll never get great winter performance out of all-seasons with the tire profile your Range Rover has. It's the sad fact with the tiny bit of rubber wrapped around HUGE wheels these days.

Originally Posted By: Rand
They are just better than most UHP tires in the snow.

They are? I haven't noticed.
smile.gif

Does it have to be a 19 inch? You'd be better off with some 235/65/17s on steelies, more or less. The sidewall flexing does wonders for snow.

Winter tires will be better, but there are some tires that have good winter performance. Where I currently live we don't get enough winter weather to justify buying snow tires, but we still can get occasional large winter storms.

For example, I chose Hankook H727 specifically because CR rated their winter performance highly, and they were exactly right. Those tires were really good in the winter.

So, you'll need to consult some of the tire testing sources. Tire Rack also has some limited tire testing on winter performance.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I simply do not understand it!
Get winter tires!

I went back to all seasons on my two cars. My boss knows I have a long commute, and it's a waste of my time to spend much of my day fighting traffic. I can do some of my work from home. Secondly, when it snows, they cancel school, and then my wife doesn't need to go out. Finally, despite the reputation that New England has, it does not snow every day here, nor are the roads covered in snow and ice all day long. Quite frankly, if it snows more than once a week it's a bad year. And with all the salt they put down, I'd wager 5 days a week it's bare pavement, easily.

Decent set of all seasons, if you can avoid the worst of the snow, will get you by. At least in my rural area. I have noticed that when I get into Manchester the roads can be worse than back home. Less plowing, more traffic, so perhaps if I lived in MHT I might want snows. But out in the boonies I actually feel ok.

My vote is the Dunlop Signature HP

I used their predecessor, the SP Sport Signature, and they were great! They will probably have the best snow traction of the tires you listed.

Originally Posted By: supton
Get winter tires!

I went back to all seasons on my two cars. My boss knows I have a long commute, and it's a waste of my time to spend much of my day fighting traffic. I can do some of my work from home. Secondly, when it snows, they cancel school, and then my wife doesn't need to go out. Finally, despite the reputation that New England has, it does not snow every day here, nor are the roads covered in snow and ice all day long. Quite frankly, if it snows more than once a week it's a bad year. And with all the salt they put down, I'd wager 5 days a week it's bare pavement, easily.

Decent set of all seasons, if you can avoid the worst of the snow, will get you by. At least in my rural area. I have noticed that when I get into Manchester the roads can be worse than back home. Less plowing, more traffic, so perhaps if I lived in MHT I might want snows. But out in the boonies I actually feel ok.

I have DWS, they are Ok (use them in spring-summer-fall on Tiguan). Are they better then my Michelin PSS in cold weather? Yes. Are they still s... compare to winter tire in COLD (dry), COLD (wet) and not to mention snow? YES!
Winter tire is not only to drive in snow.

I have Nokian WR G2 SUV on 07 Acura MDX and it does quite well. Still not as good as pure winters but in worst of conditions no major problems.

I can only imagine rims/winters for your vehicle approach $2k which IMHO is hard to justify for the few days of winter I would actually use them.

Get winter tires!

Priced wheels for this thing?

Up until my last vehicle (Jeep GC), I had dedicated Winters for my DD. Can't justify it based on the cost and the relatively few times I need the level of snow performance. If it is that bad I just work out of the house, or don't go out.

I did not have any serious situations with the current Conti's (even towed my Wife's friends Prius up our snowy hill...some satisfaction in that
laugh.gif
), but I will need tires and want a bit better snow performance. Will look toward the Nokians and DWS.

Thanks all.

My personal vote is for the DWSs.

I put a set on my C350(when I had it) and it was for the very same reason you are. I needed good traction as it was RWD but in my area we don't get enough continuous snow to justify a true winter tire..but I couldn't afford to be stranded..

I found the DWS to be fantastic in the snow in my car. Throw them on a Rover and I don't think you will have any issues at all as long as you're a conciously aware that you're still on All Seasons and don't try and get fancy with your driving.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Get winter tires!

Priced wheels for this thing?

Up until my last vehicle (Jeep GC), I had dedicated Winters for my DD. Can't justify it based on the cost and the relatively few times I need the level of snow performance. If it is that bad I just work out of the house, or don't go out.

I did not have any serious situations with the current Conti's (even towed my Wife's friends Prius up our snowy hill...some satisfaction in that
laugh.gif
), but I will need tires and want a bit better snow performance. Will look toward the Nokians and DWS.

Thanks all.

Usually when it comes to tires I do not get into thinking: hmmm price vs. my or my family heads.
If that winter tire saves my head once, I paid off all my investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back