5.7 Hemi Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrysler uses Pennzoil and I will probably go to the dealer, PYB or Synthetic for the Hemi?
How is longevity on these engines?

I'll let someone else answer the oil question since my opinion is use whatever the heck you want and it'll work fine.

Reliability of the engine itself is great, you more have to worry about that Chrysler transmission. If it is a 2014 or 2015 those might be better, but time will tell.

Pyb is factory fill im told/have read and the big bulk tank at my dealer has the pyb sticker on it...i run pppp in mine for [censored] of it since my free dealer oil changes ran out...from what im told/read the hemis like the high-ish zinc/boron of pyb and pppp...mine is a '12 with 60k on it..no issues.

Their engines are very good! The Hemi is tried and true. Any 5W20 oil that meets the Chrysler spec is fine.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I'll let someone else answer the oil question since my opinion is use whatever the heck you want and it'll work fine.

Reliability of the engine itself is great, you more have to worry about that Chrysler transmission. If it is a 2014 or 2015 those might be better, but time will tell.

Ram truck transmissions have been very reliable for many years, including the 545RFE used in 1500s back to ~2003 or so until it was replaced by the ZF 8HP. The problems tend to be with the 42RE in some Jeeps (and its usually caused by a $2.00 part- not an excuse though). And then there is the front-drive junk- never get anything with a 41TE, and I've even been suspicious of the 61TE although it does as well in minivans as Toyota's Aisin and better than Honda's did for many years. Hauling a minivan with a small transaxle is a tall order.

For the OP- Pennzoil has been factory fill since 2011. Before that it was Mobil products for many years. Base v6 and V8s use conventional (or blends in the case of 5w20), the SRT engines use synthetic (Mobil 1 0w40 through 2011, Pennzoil Euro 5w40 in 2011, Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 since 2012).

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Typical Dodge truck. The body falls apart around the engine

Haha! That was a funny one.

In more than 40 years of fleet management and repairs as well as a few personal cars here and there I have run pickups and vans from all the Big 3 to dust in a tough duty cycle.

ALL OF THEM fall apart around the engine when maintained well. Every brand. It's really not an issue for most, sorry if it is for you!

the hemi is legendary. plenty of examples have exceeded 200k. if you have a late model with mds it requires 5w20. if not anything 5w30 will be fine.

A guy at work did have his 5.7 replaced under warranty, if I recall correctly, a rod snapped, but it was probably just a random defect as he doesn't abuse it.

Something to actually worry about if its a 2005 or older truck is the heater core and HVAC blend doors- not the stoutest pieces on that era. The engine and transmission are not things to worry about...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Something to actually worry about if its a 2005 or older truck is the heater core and HVAC blend doors- not the stoutest pieces on that era. The engine and transmission are not things to worry about...
Yes. We install heater treaters very often in them. The dashes dont like our desert heat either.

Well just for the record I bought a 2001 Ram 2500 new and ran it for 14 years with no issues. Body, engine, transmission, and everything else gave me the best service of any truck I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot of GM and Ford products I dumped after a few years - all for major drive train issues).

In my new Ram, I am running PU and an OEM filter. Changed out the factory fill at about 1,700 miles.

Last edited:
218K on my 2004 dodge ram/hemi. Average oil changes 10 to 12K on synthetics (any of the major brands on sale). Still runs great, no tranny problems yet.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: horse123

Ram truck transmissions have been very reliable for many years, including the 545RFE used in 1500s back to ~2003 or so until it was replaced by the ZF 8HP. The problems tend to be with the 42RE in some Jeeps (and its usually caused by a $2.00 part- not an excuse though). And then there is the front-drive junk- never get anything with a 41TE, and I've even been suspicious of the 61TE although it does as well in minivans as Toyota's Aisin and better than Honda's did for many years. Hauling a minivan with a small transaxle is a tall order.

For the OP- Pennzoil has been factory fill since 2011. Before that it was Mobil products for many years. Base v6 and V8s use conventional (or blends in the case of 5w20), the SRT engines use synthetic (Mobil 1 0w40 through 2011, Pennzoil Euro 5w40 in 2011, Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 since 2012).

Is the factory fill 5W-20 on the new Hemi's a synthetic blend or did you mean blend of weights?

I am considering using 5 quarts of PYB and 2 quarts of Redline 5W-20 to make a pseudo-syn as I only drive about 6k miles per year and will change at that time frame. I have to buy 2 gallon jugs currently and the other 3 quarts will just sit for a year in my extremely hot garage, which I would prefer to not do. I could of course buy the extra 2 quarts of PYB but the cost is not a whole lot more and the Redline might help squeeze out a tad more MPG and has high moly content like the PYB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back