Update: Mobil1 HM reducing consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Chrysler T&C with 3.8. These vehicles are known for oil consumption. Mine was consuming (not leaking, not burning) one quart every 1000 miles like clockwork. I tried different oils and nothing helped. Mobil1, Pennz Platinum, and Pennz Ultra. Even tried a thicker oil (15w40). The Ultra reduced consumption only slightly.

This last OCI, I used Mobil1 5w/30 High Mileage that I had in my stash. I had gotten it on clearance somewhere.

2000 miles into OCI, I was down 1 quart. Topped off with Mobil Super High Mileage.

2500 miles later, down half a quart. I suspect that it will go at least 3000 miles before it reaches the "ADD" mark, if not longer.

I would use Mobil1 Synthetic HM as a top-off oil, but at about $8 for an individual quart, I think I will just continue to use Mobil Super HM as my top-off oil.

I was hoping a different oil would help reduce consumption somewhat, but am totally amazed at how much consumption has dropped. Perhaps another high mileage oil would give the same results, but I am reluctant to switch after finding something that seems to work.

I always thought high mileage oils were a farce. The Pennzoil HM I put in the cherokee seems to have slowed down the leak from the oil pan gasket and whatever else. It's no longer dripping on the exhaust crossover and marking it's territory!

I had Mobil 5000 in the CVPI and it was burning a quart every 1500. I switched to Valvoline Maxlife that I picked up for a song and its now just under 3000 miles per quart.
Not as huge a difference as in your case, but yeah, HM oil does work.

Maxlife is normally a cheaper option and is every bit as good. Has worked for me in a Mitsubishi 3.5 v6 that had similar consumption to yours and it reduced consumption to barely anything!

Thanks to the info here, I switched an old Honda (250K) over to Mobil1 HM 10W40 and it worked great, steadily reducing and then almost stopping consumption over the period of 2 OCIs

I'd advise not diluting it with top ups, go get another 5qt jug the same as the orig fill and use that.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Where do you think the oil is going if it's not being burned or leaking?.,,

If it's not leaking, it's burning. You just can't see the smoke because it's converted by the cat.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Where do you think the oil is going if it's not being burned or leaking?.,,

If it's not leaking, it's burning. You just can't see the smoke because it's converted by the cat.
He stated it's not being burned. A check of the plugs would confirm if he's burning oil, but he stated it's not.,,

Well, to be honest, I don't know where it is going. Every time I mention this issue, everyone chimes in with "check for leaks". There are no leaks. PVC is new, and this is not an issue that is common to not just my automobile. The Chrysler/Dodge vans consume oil at a high rate. Dodge says one quart per 1000 miles is normal and for vehicles with over 60k miles, 10 quart per 750 miles is normal. My point being that it is a known "issue". Whether it is a problem or not is another story.

I am just glad that I found an oil that seems to be reducing the consumption. For now, I will stick with Mobil Super HM as a top off oil through this OCI (8k-10k miles). Next OCI, I might try using Mobil1 synthtetic HM to see if it improves anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: otis24
I have a 2009 Chrysler T&C with 3.8. These vehicles are known for oil consumption. Mine was consuming (not leaking, not burning) one quart every 1000 miles like clockwork. I tried different oils and nothing helped. Mobil1, Pennz Platinum, and Pennz Ultra. Even tried a thicker oil (15w40). The Ultra reduced consumption only slightly.

This last OCI, I used Mobil1 5w/30 High Mileage that I had in my stash. I had gotten it on clearance somewhere.

2000 miles into OCI, I was down 1 quart. Topped off with Mobil Super High Mileage.

2500 miles later, down half a quart. I suspect that it will go at least 3000 miles before it reaches the "ADD" mark, if not longer.

I would use Mobil1 Synthetic HM as a top-off oil, but at about $8 for an individual quart, I think I will just continue to use Mobil Super HM as my top-off oil.

I was hoping a different oil would help reduce consumption somewhat, but am totally amazed at how much consumption has dropped. Perhaps another high mileage oil would give the same results, but I am reluctant to switch after finding something that seems to work.

You can get M1 HM at Walmart for $4.50 a quart.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Mobil Super High Mileage is about $4.50 per quart. Mobil1 Synthetic High Mileage is about twice that.

Mobil 1 is $22 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart here. Hopefully you're not buying it at the overpriced parts chains.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
He stated it's not being burned. A check of the plugs would confirm if he's burning oil, but he stated it's not.

There are only two possible places the oil could be going:
1) onto the road,
2) into the combustion chamber.

If you believe that there is a third place, I'd like to know what that place might be.

Glad the M1 HM worked for you! I am switching to VML 5w30 in a week or two and see how it fares in my '07 oil burner.

Thank you for the update. I've been trying to reduce the oil consumption in a 2008 Grand Caravan with the 3.8L engine.

Since the oil consumption in your van continues to go down with high mileage oil, it makes me wonder if the oil consumption is due to leaky seals. Before you started using high mileage oil, was there a difference in oil consumption between 5W-20, 5W-30, and 15W-40?

Also, in what manner did your van first start using oil? My van didn't use to consume any oil between oil changes until it suddenly started to at 50k miles. I replaced the PCV valve but it continues to use about one quart every 1600-1800 miles using 5W-20 Valvoline SynPower or Pennzoil Platinum.

Arent the rings what cause the issue?

The 'rents had a Rubicon with this engine. 35k on the clock and it burned 1 quart every 1.5-2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back