Bad experience with Koyorad radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Koyo in my Maxima (I'm guessing it's the same part number as your I35) for almost 2.5 years. It has worked fine. It was probably one of the least expensive ones I could find, so even if it doesn't last ten years and 100k miles like the OE one, I'm okay with that.

Originally Posted By: Kira
"Holy Uniformity garlicbreadman" the top tank of that radiator looks like it was cast that color!

Are you saying the radiator in the picture has faded from black to that even color tan?

Actually, the feature of a heat stressed part indicating its age with a color change would be a cool feature. Kira

Yes, this is very common. I cannot explain why it turns brown. Let me ask you, have you seen a brown plastic radiator brand new?

https://www.google.com/search?client=saf...-8&oe=UTF-8
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=382139

Last edited:
Sorry for your misfortune. I'd be ticked too if I purchased and installed a radiator and had to turn around and redo the work immediately. But as you allude to, perhaps just a bad roll of the dice.

I installed a TYC Brand radiator in an 01 Civic last year. It was one of the 'most popular' (heart) choices on RA and had excellent reviews on Amazon where I ended up purchasing it. Fit perfectly and so far so good, knock wood. Below is the link to the radiator job as posted on bitog.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3282876/1

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Sorry for your misfortune. I'd be ticked too if I purchased and installed a radiator and had to turn around and redo the work immediately. But as you allude to, perhaps just a bad roll of the dice.

I installed a TYC Brand radiator in an 01 Civic last year. It was one of the 'most popular' (heart) choices on RA and had excellent reviews on Amazon where I ended up purchasing it. Fit perfectly and so far so good, knock wood. Below is the link to the radiator job as posted on bitog.

TYC and Koyo trade inventory.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Stay away from Spectra Premium!

Some Spectra Premium rads are good, some not so much. I installed a Spectra Premium rad in a Freightliner truck about six years ago and it is still going strong. The aftermarket Spectra rad was half the cost of the OE rad.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They don't have Denso for your car?

Koyo MIGHT make some units for Denso, but I doubt they make them all.
At least if you buy the Denso First Time Fit units they guarantee
OEM quality and correct mounting points.

Why? They actually fit! I have used them before and would use them again. Plus Advance Auto sells them cheap enough and if it doesn't fit or goes bad, you can easily take it back. I would probably never mail order a radiator.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: sayjac

TYC and Koyo trade inventory.

Interesting you should mention that HerrStig. Luckily I still have the box the 'TYC' radiator came in (future oil change purposes) and sure enough it says Koyorad on the box. I never gave it a second thought other than remembering TYC was not boldly displayed on the box.

As noted though the radiator fit was perfect, every bit as good as the oem that came out.

Good call.

Its hard to say because some Spectra Premium are still made in Canada. I found a friend of mine one for an older vehicle made in Canada that was all brass and copper construction, perfect fit and very nicely made.

The problem is there were only 3 left in the country NOS, the replacement for this one is now made in Mexico and is plastic and aluminum, it carries the same part #.
If they are making it in Canada the quality seems very good, its the overseas production that isn't very good. What else is new.

You can re-crimp that style of radiator. I use to on my Fords. The last one I got for a replacement leaked right off the bat. So If I get a new on that is crimped I tighten up the crimps just a little bit before even installing.

I have a fully welded Koyo on my Gen Coupe. Best thing cooling wise I ever did. Not cheap though.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I returned the Koyorad and got my money back. The AAP unit is working great so far. Crimping up top is nice and uniform. I guess I didn't fully bleed all the air out the first time since I hear a rushing water noise behind the dashboard when accelerating. Re-bled the system and all has been good.

Update: Installed a Koyorad on my 2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl. in May of 2015 at around 158,500 miles. It started leaking, to my knowledge, at the seems of the plastic tank this summer of 2019. It was replaced today, Nov. 3, 2019, at 193,956 miles with a Denso "First Time Fit". We will see if it's any better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RevelationLion
Update: Installed a Koyorad on my 2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl. in May of 2015 at around 158,500 miles. It started leaking, to my knowledge, at the seems of the plastic tank this summer of 2019. It was replaced today, Nov. 3, 2019, at 193,956 miles with a Denso "First Time Fit". We will see if it's any better.

Denso is one of Honda OEM vendors so you'll get at least twice the life out of it. Most of their aftermarket parts are as good as OEM branded.

Good choice. I have used a Denso on an 88 Civic and a 94 Sentra.
Only way to fly.

I've probably installed over 100 radiators this year - various car/truck models and I used mostly TYC followed by the Denso - no problems and reasonable prices. I did a couple Spectras and they were also fine. The only issue I had was with a Autozone radiator that leaked near the cooler line connection where the crimp was not secure. Returned it or another one.

As mentioned and linked earlier in thread installed TYC/KoyoRad on 01 Civic. While I don't own the vehicle now, it's still in the extended family stable, and afaik still functioning perfectly.

I did order a Denso FTF radiator for a Tacoma from Amazon earlier this year but had to send it back because one of the transmission cooler line fittings was bent too far, crimped too much for my liking. Below are pics showing the first one returned and the second one. So while I'd likely go Denso FTF now, my Koyorad experience has been a good one. Btw, both had/have China coo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sayjac

[Linked Image]

That trans cooler line actually looks like it was damaged in shipping.

I'm not sure how one can reach a definitive conclusion by looking at pic provided and say it was damaged in shipping and not a manufacturing flaw. I couldn't by looking at it and shipping box in real time. That said, considering that they all are shipped from China, it's certainly possible. In my observation that bend would have required significant force over some time to bend it that much, not just a tap or even several along the way. Either way, that's how it came and why it went back. Obviously I thought enough of the rest of the radiator construction to replace it with the same.

As an aside had to buy another radiator cap too, as the OE Harrison which btw gave me excellent service, had a larger opening.

I had a KOYO Rad do the same thing but it was after 2 years and about 50K miles.... Then I got house brand from AAP and they would last about a month or so and do the same thing so Finally i got this and I have had ZERO PROBLEMS...

check out the welds... and it fit perfect just like OEM.. No Modifications.. It fit like a glove and the trans lines lined up perfectly and it was only 110$ or so... not much more then a house brand a local auto parts store.

There is NO WAY Coolant is going to leak out of the bad boy..... Also Made in USA... Look at the welds.. I'm pretty sure those are man made welds.. It doesn't look like machine weld...
If you get one of these you will never have to worry about it again.. Them Plastic Radiators DENSO / KOYO / CSF / Sooner or later they all start to leak from the plastic glued seams however not this one.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back