where to buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Have your local NAPA order P/N VV591839 and you'll get a 5 gallon pail of VPB Classic.
You could hit up a local Cat dealer for a 5 gallon pail of Cat DEO for a CI grade oil also. https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/PEHJ0059-02.pdf

CAT DEO is only CJ-4 now, when you try to order the old number in DBS it says order this number which is CJ-4.

When I worked at the CAT dealer I would order, Conoco Power-D 15W-40 CI-4+ for the older 3500 engines, not that they needed it, an oil that could withstand extra abuse if needed. Standby Generators often run 50 hours per year. Change oil 1-3 years depending on the maintenance scope.

Last edited:
As has already been mentioned the higher levels of TBN in CI4 was to combat the much higher sulfur content in LSD which was 500ppm. The limits imposed with CJ4 are more than adequate with ULSD @ 15ppm. The argument of lower zddp levels in CJ4 have proven to be a non factor as well. Ive got UOAs of CJ4 15w40 and 5w40 with 15k miles on my 98 and I still had over 1/3 of the TBN levels my oil started with. I went 16,960 miles on my last OCI in my wife's TDI and received a good report from Blackstone. Both vehicles didn't have any bypass filtration (my 98 does now), and less than a quart of make up oil was added over the course of the service intervals. Pre emission engines collectively run hundreds of millions of miles every year on CJ4 oils, if there was ever a weakness in the oil there would be oil related failures popping up all over the place. CJ4 is a very robust oil.

jrmason,
i see you have a can-am, what do you run in the trans and the rear diff? i'm bout to change my commanders fluids.

thanks

Originally Posted By: Killer223
jrmason,
i see you have a can-am, what do you run in the trans and the rear diff? i'm bout to change my commanders fluids.

thanks

I just changed all the fluids in my machine for the 2nd time since it was new. The first was at the 10hr service interval and I had a couple of quarts of Mobil 75w140 that had been sitting around for a few years so that's what I used. I refilled with Schaeffers as that is what I use in all my vehicles and generally have both 75w90 and 75w140 on the shelf.

The rear diff on the Can Am doesn't have the greatest track record if you run em hard, so I'm changing all my fluids annually. I drained my rear diff oil into a clear container and there was a lot of wear metals visible in the oil along with a black film that settled to the bottom. This with only about 600 miles on the oil. I bottled up a sample and am dropping it in the mail this weekend for analysis.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
greetings. i have an older early 04 dodge cummins. designed for CI oil. Valvoline still makes it. http://www.valvoline.com/products/commercial-industrial-products/heavy-duty-diesel-engine-oils/73

but i can't seem to find it anywhere. can you kind people help me.?

right now i run 5-40 PB. with fleetguard 9028 filter, my ODI are around 8K miles.

If the above posts have not changed your mind, Delvac MX (API CI4+) availble online:
http://thelubricantstore.com/engine-oil/mobil-delvac-mx-15w40-12x1.html
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back