Sealants are bad for automotive paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
For new paint, this might make sense, as the last of the solvents need to evaporate off and the curing complete its chemical changes in the paint.

But for fully cured paint?

Sounds specious...

I call [censored]. All paints are water based and have been for some time. There are no more solvents to evaporate. The cars are painted and then dried/cured in ovens. Plastic is applied to most cars before they ship. We jsut test drove/bought a new Avalon and we had to pull off the plastic on the roof because it was making noise. It is stuck on there very strong and was not easy to get off. You think if paint was still curing, they would put this on there??

Originally Posted By: loneryder

I call [censored]. All paints are water based and have been for some time. There are no more solvents to evaporate. The cars are painted and then dried/cured in ovens. Plastic is applied to most cars before they ship. We jsut test drove/bought a new Avalon and we had to pull off the plastic on the roof because it was making noise. It is stuck on there very strong and was not easy to get off. You think if paint was still curing, they would put this on there??

Things may have changed but I was working in a Honda store back in the early 2000s and they did have the plastic sheets covering the painted surfaces, and on more than one occasion you would find that the paint would absorb adhesive backing on the plastic and it would create a rise in the paint level in those areas. Not easily noticeable to ordinary customers but to a skilled detail and paint guy is was visible.

I don't buy the sealant causing oxidation in the least. how about coming back with the equally silly response that the opposite is true because the sealant keeps oxygen away from the paint thereby preventing oxidation.

I don't buy the sealant causing oxidation in the least. how about coming back with the equally silly response that the opposite is true because the sealant keeps oxygen away from the paint thereby preventing oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back