Sea Foam Trans Tune or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1978 K5 Blazer w/120k miles and TH350 transmission has a delayed engagement when shifting from park into reverse. Transmission fluid & filter have been changed within past 15k miles and I added a TCI pan that adds 2 quarts more plus it has a magnetic drain plug. From what I read the Trans Tune claims to address sticking valves, add 1/2 a can drive it, change fluid, add rest of can. Has anyone had any experience with this or other ideas?

Can't comment on the trans tune, but I can say that the ONLY way to be in the gear you want, WHEN you want it, is to fit a manual.

Automatics are like tuna and balls of yarn - for pussycats

Last edited:
Despite Olas' somewhat odd and pointless post, the TH350 is a great transmission.

You've got little to lose by using transtune. I've not used it but folks swear by it. Worst case, you're out, what, $10? As old as this one is, you might very well have varnish or other grunge just from age and relatively little use. The transtune would be ideal for that, if it's the case.

But if it doesn't work, the TH350 is among the easiest to rebuild....might be time to expand your DIY skills...

Last edited:
Allow me to try to respond with a non-asinine comment unlike Olas...

Yes, that may work. I have used it succesfully for similar issues with a GM 4L30E.

Per the manufacturer's info, Trans-tune and regular SeaFoam are materially the same and the difference just appears to be the red dye in the TT packaging. I use the regular in transmissions as well as other applications; it's easier to find and generally cheaper.

I use Mag1 multi-vehicle synthetic (Amazon) as a full synthetic Dex III replacement and it keeps it running nicely.

Last edited:
Neither asinine nor pointless, my post is absolutely correct. Even a perfectly functioning automatic is not good enough.

It doesn't look down the road and proactively select the right gear for the corner,or the traffic conditions, or the hill in front of you.
Then it chages gear partway through the manoeuvre/obstacle

Autos are reactive, not proactive, so theyre always too slow. Further, in a manual you select the gear directly. In an automatic, you request a gear and wait - in this case you have to wait so long you post on bitog about it.

Plant your foot and what happens? In a manual you accelerate. In an auto you wait for it to think, then you wait for it to kick down, then you accelerate.

To summarise, manuals do what you want, when you want, allowing forward planning and a smoother drive.
Autos are slow and stupid.
It's about being in control of the car, which, after all, is an appliance you bought to serve you.
Unless i am very much mistaken, you didn't go out to buy a car that you had to wait around for - in that case you might as well just get the bus and save thousands and thousands of your dollars.

For what it's worth, I've used Seafoam Trans Tune in my E4OD with good results when I first bought my truck as a flush prior to using Valvoline Maxlife (Maxlife gave even better results).

Olas - your post fails to answer the OP's question. You merely take his question as an opportunity to expound on your personal opinion. An opinion that is irrelevant in this case.

Have you even seen a K Blazer?

I've driven one with a manual, and with an auto. The auto is better for this application. Much better. And rebuilding the auto is far cheaper than "fitting a manual" though it can be done. Your post is a bizarre combination of failing to address the question, strongly held conviction and utter lack of understanding of the situation.

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
My 1978 K5 Blazer w/120k miles and TH350 transmission has a delayed engagement when shifting from park into reverse. Transmission fluid & filter have been changed within past 15k miles and I added a TCI pan that adds 2 quarts more plus it has a magnetic drain plug. From what I read the Trans Tune claims to address sticking valves, add 1/2 a can drive it, change fluid, add rest of can. Has anyone had any experience with this or other ideas?

The TransTune is flush-type cleaner.

If you think you may have varnish, try LubeGard Red with a fluid exchange for a slow cleaning.

With that many miles, you may have glazed clutch plates as well as varnished valves.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

If you think you may have varnish, try LubeGard Red with a fluid exchange for a slow cleaning.

With that many miles, you may have glazed clutch plates as well as varnished valves.

+1

Lubegard would seem a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back