USS Constitution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
One of the best books I ever read was this one http://www.amazon.com/Most-Fortunate-Ship-Narrative-Ironsides/dp/1591145139 (Not the revised version though.)

One I just finished is "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy."

Both well worth the read.

Another ship worth seeing is the USS Olympia.

And the USS New Jersey is across the river in Camden.

I've stood on her deck, in the spot (denoted by the brass feet) where Admiral Dewey said, "You may fire when ready, Gridley" upon the fleet's entry into Manila Bay...

She looks great, but there are some severe corrosion/hull issues. The Independence Seaport Museum simply doesn't have the resources to maintain her. It will take millions to drydock and restore her...and she may sink in the meantime...

Since she played such an important role in establishing the US as a major maritime power, and since she carried the first unknown soldier back from France after the "Great War" ended, she has a special place in history. She is the oldest steel warship afloat...

And yes, I've read Ian Toll's superlative book, "Six Frigates". I've even given it as a gift, I was so impressed by it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eddy21
A Girlfriend of mine was assigned to her in the 90's. She said she was the 2nd woman to climb the rigging.

https://youtu.be/mkmADkG13XU

I don't know if they do the same in the U.S. but you would not catch me up there.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
The oldest age of sail warship still afloat is undergoing a $15,000,000 restoration.

That sounds like an intelligent and typical *use* (i.e., complete waste) of taxpayer dollars. It must be fun to waste other people's money.

mad.gif

Ed

15 million to preserve a piece of the countries history for future generations is money well spent IMO.
They spent 2 billion on Obama phones for worthless layabouts who will just sell them for crack anyway. Now thats a waste of the taxpayers money.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've stood on her deck, in the spot (denoted by the brass feet) where Admiral Dewey said, "You may fire when ready, Gridley" upon the fleet's entry into Manila Bay...

Didn't Dewey also say, "I don't like it, Gridley. The native tom-toms have stopped. It's too quiet"?

Originally Posted By: Trav
The oldest age of sail warship still afloat is undergoing a $15,000,000 restoration.

That sounds like an intelligent and typical *use* (i.e., complete waste) of taxpayer dollars. It must be fun to waste other people's money.

mad.gif

Ed

15 million to preserve a piece of the countries history for future generations is money well spent IMO.
They spent 2 billion on Obama phones for worthless layabouts who will just sell them for crack anyway. Now thats a waste of the taxpayers money.

Agreed...these are the things that you only get to do NOW for future generations...can't put it off for someone else to decide it's a good thing, as the resource won't be there.

Money well spent.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Trav

mad.gif

Ed

Agreed...these are the things that you only get to do NOW for future generations...can't put it off for someone else to decide it's a good thing, as the resource won't be there.

Money well spent.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/cellphone.asp

The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of *Ronald Reagan*; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of *Bill Clinton*; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of *George W. Bush*. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.

Lifeline discounts are not available only to "welfare recipients" — these programs are implemented at both the state and federal levels, so qualification criteria can vary from state to state, but in general participants must have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines.....

The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers

http://www.disabled-world.com/communication/obamaphone.php

Since 2009, there has been an urban myth that President Obama created a program to provide free phones to low-income Americans at taxpayer expense. There is a rumor that Obama is distributing new cellphones and pre-paid minutes to welfare recipients. According to FactCheck, the U.S. federal government does not offer such a program, and, although low-income households have long been eligible for discounted phone services, it is funded by telecommunications companies, not taxes... and the American president has nothing to do with it.

As The New York Times notes in an editorial, the Obama administration does not pass out free phones for votes. There is however a national program that provides low-income people with free or discounted phones, but it was started under George W. Bush, Obama's Republican predecessor. The two programs are: Lifeline and Link-Up America - (Eligibility and type of program can vary from state to state)

In conclusion there is free phone assistance available to people who qualify - but it is not an Obama administration program. American taxpayers do support the program but not through federal income taxes. Over 8 million Americans have already signed up for the Lifeline program and up to 35% of Americans are qualified.

And here: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/

So much for the above "Obamaphone" nonsense......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back