Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech - 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know anything about this oil? Is it really high quality or just good? Just used it on my e46 BMW and have a good supply of it. I searched the forums and found absolutely nothing about it. It is BMW LL01 approved. I am in Southern California (never gets cold here).

Here is the technical info I found for it.

Technical data
Flash point 236 °C
DIN ISO 2592
Pour point -45 °C
DIN ISO 3016
Evaporation loss (Noack) 9,6 %
ASTM D 5800-08 Method
B
Total base number 11,3 mg KOH/g
DIN ISO 3771
Sulfate ash 1,2 g/100g
DIN 51575
SAE class (engine oils) 5W-40
SAE J300
High temperature/high
shear viscosity
>3,5
ASTM D 4683

Seems good. Although Mobil 1 0W40 is much easier to obtain in California I am sure, and very similar - sulf. ash 1.3%, TBN 11.8, LL01/MB229.5 etc.

Charlie

The oil I listed is very easy for me to obtain. I am just wondering how good of an oil it is compared to some of the other well respected oils like red line, motul, etc..

It should be fine especially in Calif., with ultra low sulfur petrol there. TBN depletion is not a problem. Go at least 10,000 mi and do a UOA when you change it and have them do a TBN level. Pretty soon all of the US will have ultra low S petrol which will raise the price over that of diesel, finally. I gather that in most of Calif. reg gas is > diesel price?

Charlie

I will never go 10k miles on an oil service. I generally only go 5,000 and since I got the car have never gone more than 7,000. Is there a better oil you recommend for a high mileage BMW engine? The car has 190,000 miles with a recent valve job. Runs great but I want to see at least 300k on this cars odometer.

Yes, diesel is slightly less than regular fuel here, but not much.

I think the "generally recognized as best" for a BMW gas engine with LL01 spec is the Mobil 1 0W40, but if you get a really good deal on the LiquiMoly (like you already have a lot of it!), use it. The difference will be negligible/undetectable.
Also if you do an oil analysis you will find that the oil stands up just fine with 10K oil change intervals.
Up to 30K km (18.6K mi) is used in Europe with the same engines and oils.

Charlie

If you can really get the High Tech stuff and not the Synthoil Premium that is really meant for the US market, then yes you are getting a good oil. The High Tech stuff is what they sell in Germany, so a PAO majority based oil. The Synthoil Premium is group III for the US.

How much are you paying for a 5 liter jug? I used to be able to get it for $39, but NAPA now switched over to the Synthoil stuff.

Leichtlauf High tech is also Group 3. I've noticed they've changed the specs for it a few weeks ago. The older version had a pour point of -33degC.

Their PAO stuff is Synthoil High Tech.

Originally Posted By: ToniP
Leichtlauf High tech is also Group 3. I've noticed they've changed the specs for it a few weeks ago. The older version had a pour point of -33degC.

Their PAO stuff is Synthoil High Tech.

You are correct, and I missed the Leichtlauf part. I was thinking of the Synthoil when I posted before.

The newer version should be even better. They've changed some of the additives and the lowered the pour point from -33degC to -45degC and VI increased from 171 to 177.

Liqui-moly is a very well respected German product and I'm sure their top tier stuff is certified. I'm not sure what tier your product is so keep in mind they have best/better/good/good enough type deal.
I used their 0w-40 in my charger and I really liked it. Ran it 10000 miles. It was their top tier stuff though b
I like that scale they have on the back of the oil bottles. You can see where each oils strengths and weaknesses are and make a more informed choice.
I can't remember if the stuff I had was certified a3/b4 or just suitable for. Pretty sure it Carries the Porsche spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back