Taking new vehicle to dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt read the posts, buuuut

Even if the rotors are machined down, as long as they are above their spec'd discard thickness, you'll be fine. If they didn't fix the issue by doing that, take it back again and then hopefully they'll replace them. How long is your warranty? Honestly, I bet you have a lot of time.

FWIW, I thought my shimmying was from my rotors too. Turns out, it was the wheel weights on the front left tire. They fell off. Worth a look. HTH.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Yeah, no. We are still private businesses. When it's obvious that the customer is going to be a problem, it's very easy to turn them away if the car was purchased elsewhere. A brake job is not worth a bad survey.

I'll give you an example. I had a guy come in with a brand new Taurus. There was very obvious chemical damage to the paint on the entire vehicle...

The scenario is different than the one concerning the brakes...
they were defective from delivery according to the OP, that is covered under the Ford Manufacturer warranty. If your store refuses to honor the warranty on that new vehicle with a factory warranty your store can lose its franchise. It does happen, not that often but it does, also it can affect other parts of your stores business including things like allocations of new product, ect.

Yeah, no. We are still private businesses. When it's obvious that the customer is going to be a problem, it's very easy to turn them away if the car was purchased elsewhere. A brake job is not worth a bad survey.

I'll give you an example. I had a guy come in with a brand new Taurus. There was very obvious chemical damage to the paint on the entire vehicle. Either it was vandalized or he damaged it himself while attempting to wash it; this is an insurance issue. He insisted that it was a factory paint defect, even after I explained to him that his body (damaged), bumpers (damaged), and door handles (damaged) are not painted at the same facility, let alone in the same process. Then he became irate. I told him to go to his selling dealer. He went home and called Ford. Ford called me. I told them "It's not a Ford issue and he's a V.O." Ford rep said "OK thanks." We didn't lose our Ford franchise. I didn't lose my job. The end.

What you are really saying is you treat your customers to way most Walmart employees treat theirs.. like they are all crooks. Obviously the Taurus guy (the dishonest bad apple) was a little different than the issue OP has so I am not even sure how you could use this as an example.

OP has a legit warranty claim and you as a dealer would turn him down.. Shame on you.

Here in SoCal, I don't think any dealers turn rotors. They all replace them. Never seen a dealer shop with the equipment to turn rotors and they aren't going to take the time to send them out.

Originally Posted By: carock
Here in SoCal, I don't think any dealers turn rotors. They all replace them. Never seen a dealer shop with the equipment to turn rotors and they aren't going to take the time to send them out.

Most cars made within the past decade or less use rotors that are NOT designed to be turned because their isn't enough metal on them to do it without making them more prone to becoming warped.

This is true to a point. If OP goes in there and starts complaining right off the bat that he wants brand new pads and rotors before they even look at it, he'll get the good old "We recommend that you return to your selling dealer" - it's a service manager's favorite cop-out. We even have a shorthand for these people at the dealers: "vee-oh's" are Visiting Owners
smile.gif

That's a great way to get a franchise yanked.

More so since its warranty work which is billed right back to the company.

Originally Posted By: wtd
This is not always true. When I had a warranty issue with my then two month old 2014 Mustang GT, I was told by the local dealer, who I didn't buy the car from since they didn't have what I wanted at the time, that they were not going to cover my warranty item because they claimed I caused the damage and to take it back to where I bought it and maybe they would do something for me. This was the service manager that I dealt with and who told me this. He obviously didn't want to do business with me since I didn't buy my car from them.

Wayne

I would have posted his exact statement on yelp and sent it to Ford corporate.

Quote:

People should take action, those service managers will be fired by the store, unless they want to lose their franchise.

My car wasn't new but I had the same problem. It's just from sitting on the lot and getting rusty, mine had sat for almost 3 months. After a few hard braking episodes, pulsating went away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What you are really saying is you treat your customers to way most Walmart employees treat theirs.. like they are all crooks. Obviously the Taurus guy (the dishonest bad apple) was a little different than the issue OP has so I am not even sure how you could use this as an example.

OP has a legit warranty claim and you as a dealer would turn him down.. Shame on you.

Umm... what? Did you actually read what I wrote? NOWHERE did I say I would turn away a legitimate warranty claim. Handling warranty issues is not only paramount to customer service, but (when handled properly) it is the manufacturer's best source of information to improve their vehicles. When the selling dealer can't handle an issue, I just might make myself a new Customer For Life by taking care of it.

You can't use the 'call me before doing any work'. There is no time for that. If the rack is tied up because you are deciding whether to do the work, they aren't making any money from the rack. There could be another customer's car on it.

In order to use it, they would have to put your wheels back on and drive it out and then when you agreed to the repairs they would have to re-rack it, which is a pain.

When I worked at a tire shop we had 2 techs and 7 bays so this wasn't a problem.

If the customer wants to feel in control, for the top dollar they're paying for dealership service, I say let them feel that way.

Indeed, if I pay cash for dealership service I do expect more than from the small mom and pop shop that charges less than 2/3 of that for the same exact work. The funny thing is that more often than not my experiences with dealer service (even for big dollar repairs) has often been much worse than the mom and pop shop.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Umm... what? Did you actually read what I wrote? NOWHERE did I say I would turn away a legitimate warranty claim. Handling warranty issues is not only paramount to customer service, but (when handled properly) it is the manufacturer's best source of information to improve their vehicles. When the selling dealer can't handle an issue, I just might make myself a new Customer For Life by taking care of it.

The post I quoted from you was your answer to the matter..

seriously your going to worry that they take .020 off of each side of your rotors? That little bit of metal will not amount to hardly any temperature rise on your Edge. Let them fix the car, however they deem necessary.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: wtd
This is not always true. When I had a warranty issue with my then two month old 2014 Mustang GT, I was told by the local dealer, who I didn't buy the car from since they didn't have what I wanted at the time, that they were not going to cover my warranty item because they claimed I caused the damage and to take it back to where I bought it and maybe they would do something for me. This was the service manager that I dealt with and who told me this. He obviously didn't want to do business with me since I didn't buy my car from them.

Wayne

I talked to all kinds of people from Ford CS to a regional CS rep. It took me four months to get the issue fixed and that was only after I told the regional CS rep that I knew Ford had a special service message out about the issue and gave him the number of it. No one seemed to care and is why I probably will never buy another Ford again. I told the regional CS rep what the service manager had said and after talking to the service manager himself, the regional guy said he wasn't going to overrule him because he was the one who actually looked at my car.

Wayne

I don't understand the logic behind a dealership balking at doing warranty work on a car bought elsewhere. It makes more sense to do the work, do it right, and build a positive ongoing relationship with the customer, turning him into a repeat customer. Eventually (probably before too long, depending how much work he takes to the dealer), they'll make more money on the service than they would have on the sale.

I live in a small college town, and there is only one dealer for each make. I always go to a city about 2 hours away and buy my cars from the same guy at a dealership there (4 now). I've had all of them serviced locally because the service is excellent there, and they've always been polite, provide courtesy transportation etc. I'd love to buy there but they don't discount (Honda) much off list price. I buy the same car for thousands less, they just don't budge. Most people buy local, and most Hondas sell well enough they will just sell the car to someone else for close to list price. I think everybody wins with my scenario.

Any dealership that ever balked at a job because it wasn't bought there is a dealership that will NEVER sell me a car or get service work from me. I've even told the service manager at the local dealership exactly what I do and why and he is perfectly fine with it, and he even when to bat for me with Honda over a noisy clutch issue and has provided me free loaner cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back