Rural King Synthetic 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does His Royal Majesty, the King of Rural, have for us?
Does he offer his subjects a magnificent boon in the form of inexpensive magic oil?
Or does he force upon us a dangerous toxic swill that will surely curdle and corrode the innards of my mighty Ford V-6?

I rub the magic lamp and call forth the Genie of Blackstone!
Tell us what we need to know, Genie! Use you magic power to see the unseeable!

Code:

OIL Rural King Synthetic 5W-20

MILES IN USE 0

MILES 0

SAMPLE TAKEN 04/04/15

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 36

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 3

SILICON 2

SODIUM 1

CALCIUM 2312

MAGNESIUM 23

PHOSPHORUS 682

ZINC 834

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 54.6

cSt @ 100ºC 8.65

FLASHPOINT ºF 440

FUEL %

ANTIFREEZE %

WATER %

INSOLUBLES 0.0

TBN 7.9

TAN

ISO CODE

This be not a dangerous nor toxic swill, but it is indeed a weak sauce.
Strong enough for 5K or so, me thinks.
Who among us is brave enough of heart to run this brew for 5K and then submit it to the workings of the wizard called Blackstone?

It looks OK. I hope that's Tri nuclear moly, otherwise it's pretty low on additives. ZDDP is at the bottom end of allowable, and no Boron, the calcium dose is okay although some good oils like Pennzoil Ultra have used upwards of 2,600 ppm calcium when magnesium is not used in big doses.

Definitely a budget synthetic.

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
What does His Royal Majesty, the King of Rural, have for us?
Does he offer his subjects a magnificent boon in the form of inexpensive magic oil?
Or does he force upon us a dangerous toxic swill that will surely curdle and corrode the innards of my mighty Ford V-6?

I rub the magic lamp and call forth the Genie of Blackstone!
Tell us what we need to know, Genie! Use you magic power to see the unseeable!

I thought their Bottles Looked fairly similar to Meijer oils.(Warren Oil Dunn,NC)
here's a link to a VOA I did on Meijer Syn 5w20 last spring.

VERY Similar Numbers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_xZhNFCp6tXbnlkOUtnLUhlLUE/edit

even though i didn't ask first, thanks for letting me "borrow" your coded table, to add my data to.

Code:

OIL Rural King Syn 5w20 Meijer Syn 5w20

MILES IN USE 0 0

MILES 0 0

SAMPLE TAKEN 04/04/15 06/06/14

ALUMINUM 1 0

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 1 1

COPPER 0 0

LEAD 0 0

TIN 1 0

MOLYBDENUM 36 35

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 3 6

SILICON 2 2

SODIUM 1 1

CALCIUM 2312 2095

MAGNESIUM 23 8

PHOSPHORUS 682 635

ZINC 834 739

BARIUM 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 54.6 52.9

cSt @ 100ºC 8.65 8.15

FLASHPOINT ºF 440 435

FUEL %

ANTIFREEZE %

WATER % 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.0 0.0

TBN 7.9 9.4

TAN

ISO CODE

I used the Meijer syn for my Summer Run last year in my Sable (3.5l Ford Cyclone V-6)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Looks like a good $2 a quart oil for a 3K oil change.

Wrong on both accounts.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Looks like a good $2 a quart oil for a 3K oil change.

Wrong on both accounts.

Looks like a base low end oil, what might be seen that these old eyes are blind to?

I just don't get it or am I missing something? This oil is very close to or the same thing as Lubrigold which is Dexos approved oil. I know it is not the top of the line oil, but it looks good. Oil like Valvoline SYNPOWER is not much better, it could even have a weaker additive pack. What am I missing?

Originally Posted By: brianw
I just don't get it or am I missing something? This oil is very close to or the same thing as Lubrigold which is Dexos approved oil. I know it is not the top of the line oil, but it looks good. Oil like Valvoline SYNPOWER is not much better, it could even have a weaker additive pack. What am I missing?

I think what you are pointing out is that you can't tell all that much about an oil by looking at a $35 oil analysis. Are there other additives there that don't show up on the analysis? No way to tell.

The composition of this oil looks consistent with what one would expect to see in an API SN motor oil, just like they advertise on the bottle. That's the only conclusion I draw from this.

Originally Posted By: brianw

A few months ago, I called Warren Oil in Dunn, NC and spoke to one of the bigs to ask how this RK synthetic compared in formula to its Lubrigold. I was told, "it's very similar" and then "Let me put it this way. It's extremely similar," implying it's the same but he can't say so for contract or private labeling reasons.

For $2.79 a quart, it's plenty good enough for my leased Outback at 6K intervals.

Since I'm actually using this oil, I looked a little more closely at it and I feel a little bit better about the additive package. For the sake of fairness, I'm putting them down as oil "A" and oil "B." One is our Rural King and the other, taken from PQIA's 2013 sample test, is Chevron Havoline. Other than the higher amount of phosphorous in "oil B", everything else is so close that they probably fall within the margin of error.

For that matter, although I couldn't find a 5w20 sample to use, check out PQIA's more recent test of Pennzoil Plat Pure Plus 5w30 http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/pennzplatinum.htm Doesn't that additive package look familiar? Trace of boron, small amount of magnesium, relatively low moly. Zinc and phosphorous in the acceptable range.

Code:

OIL A OIL B

Aluminum 1 0

Chromium 0 0

Iron 1 0

Copper 0 0

Lead 0 0

Tin 1 0

Moly 36 44

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 0 0

Silver 0 0