Hundreds march at McDonald's HQ over low wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: splinter
What a coincidence. I’ve refused to do business with McDonald’s for years owing to its unhealthy products.

Convenient for potty breaks on extended road trips though.

Ahhh these Typical I hate this place blah blah blah but I deserve to use their facilities for free, lemme guess you listen to NPR?

And I haven't eaten at McDonald's in years

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm currently looking to hire someone with an associates degree and starting pay is $24-25 an hour with full benefits.

I'm curious,what does the associate's degree have to be in and what position are you hiring for?

Entry level technician for medical equipment repair, it tops out around $42 an hour. Associates degree in electronics or military experience in maintenance such as mechanic / electronic / aviation field / crew chief / radio/radar/satellite / communication type career field. Basically taking stuff apart, repairing it and testing / calibration.

stro_cruiser,

The franchise owner took on all the financial risks and liabilities... they deserve to keep the profits. Hourly employees would be surprised at the overhead for a franchise just to break even, not including taxes / food /insurance / utilities / insurances, vendors ....etc...

Basically people should improve their skill set, not complain and protest. I started working at 15 years old so I know what a part-time low wage job is like. I tell my niece and nephew the real world is not easy, learn a skill / trade / vocation.

learn a skill / trade / vocation.

^^BEST advice right there for anyone wanting to go to college. Learn a specific trade.

I start unskilled labour at 15 an hour. If they aren't very sharp they don't advance. If they catch on and I see they are worth me putting in an effort to train them I will.
But even 15 an hour isn't a living wage.
Anyway fast food jobs are supposed to be stepping stones as one settles on a career. Management makes out alright however from wha I've seen there's a high rate of burnout because of the constant push.
As far as I'm concerned those employees who walked out quit. Obviously they aren't happy and employees who aren't happy get nothing done,counter productive and not worth having around. In fact it's better to be shorthanded than have unhappy employees. They are poison to the whole crew and depending o the person may spit on the food etc.

America has learned that capitalism is great for the wealthy. Companies are only concerned about profit so if they can get their product made for less offshore then rest assured they will.
Big business is turning America into a third world nation. American businesses Have chosen to turn their backs on the skilled American worker in favour of a cheaper lesser product.
America was once a powerhouse of industry. A world leader manufacturing high quality goods and living well.
Today Americans care not about anything either. If they can save a penny buying China made stuff over American made products they will,which again puts neighbours out of work.
Capitalism sounds great but as you can see there are flaws.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser

As for the franchise owners, how much are they making?...how much do these shareholders and franchise owners NEED to make....its back to the same thing, greed and a system of unfettered capitalism that will create more demonstrations, each one bigger than the last. Good on "em I say.

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've heard in quite some time.

It's their money, not the employees. The franchise owners put their capital at risk. The franchise owners put in the time and effort that it takes to build a business. The shareholders put their investments at risk. Both groups deserve to keep what they make.

Burger flipping jobs, as well as similar unskilled jobs, are only meant to be entry level jobs-nothing more. It's not a politician's job to determine what their wages should be, it's up to the business owner and market forces. Anyone working those jobs should be working toward improving their skills, and marketing their skills to a higher wage industry.

There is ample opportunity for someone with drive and ambition to move up. The very worst thing they can do is not set their goals higher than a career flipping burgers. If they're not happy with their wages, then they should become the person who sets the wages, not the person who has to live with the wages. Anyone can do it, they just have to want it badly enough.

What a coincidence. I’ve refused to do business with McDonald’s for years owing to its unhealthy products.

What a coincidence. You feel no shame whatsoever when you use someone's restroom, that they have to clean and maintain, and aren't even a customer?

Then, you won't mind if I stop by your house on my next road trip, use your facilities, perhaps your driveway to check a few things on my car, too?

After all, it's no loss to you to let me in and clean up after me...and you owe me...because, well...you just owe me...because you've got the money for extended road trips, so you clearly have more than me...so...you owe me.

Right?

And a $1 glass of tea refilled all the way across the country....

Working and educating yourself isn't easy but it can be done. Plenty of examples of it everywhere! And there are lots of good schools that can give you a high quality education in the form of an associates degree for less than a small fortune.
After that, you've gotta hustle to get in amongst them. It takes a lot of determination and energy, but if you're driven you can make it. Once you're on deck, determine if you need more education to get where you really want to be, work wise and salary wise, then go get it.
McDonalds should be looked on as a springboard to something better.

If I could have any government intervention in all of this it would be to weed out the lousy schools that offer the world and deliver nothing. Now THAT is a crime that needs to dealt with harshly. After that, it's up to the individual...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Why don't these workers get an education or learn a skill that will allow them to make a better living ?

Probably because they can't afford to work less while shelling out money for their education.

So, which are they doing? Shelling out money for education, or working?

You do realize that there are opportunities for folks from all walks of life.

Your US Government will pay for 100% of a 4 year degree if you agree to enlist in the US military. Similar benefits accrue to Peace Corps and other service.

Here is an example of a refugee, whose parents were simple laborers, and who paid nothing, that's right, zero, for her superlative education.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2015/05/a-onetime-refugee-aims-high/

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Working and educating yourself isn't easy but it can be done. Plenty of examples of it everywhere! And there are lots of good schools that can give you a high quality education in the form of an associates degree for less than a small fortune.
After that, you've gotta hustle to get in amongst them. It takes a lot of determination and energy, but if you're driven you can make it. Once you're on deck, determine if you need more education to get where you really want to be, work wise and salary wise, then go get it.

And if everyone could do that, that would be the new normal, and those people would be right back where they started.

No one's saying these jobs need to be terminal or that the workers have to be able to live lavishly. That'd be ridiculous. The point is that there has to be a socioeconomic floor under people.

Raising that floor will increase the number of freeloaders. Keeping it low will ensure a permanent underclass, with all the problems (poor health, urban blight, crime, etc.) that come with it. Between the two, I'll take the freeloaders, thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
So, which are they doing? Shelling out money for education, or working?

You missed my point. I was saying we can't expect people who are already making less than a living wage to choose to work (and thus earn) even less AND take on the financial burdens of an education. That's getting more and more true by the day as colleges get more competitive, degrees are worth less and less, and the cost of higher education skyrockets.

There has to be another solution. Imposing on companies to pay more is a terrible one by any standard, but it's far from the worst.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You do realize that there are opportunities for folks from all walks of life.

Of course there are. And if you read carefully, I don't imply otherwise.

What I'm arguing is that there aren't enough opportunities for everyone.

Mcdonald's wont pay $15 and hour, if they do it will only be for the length of time it takes them to set up self order screens.

They will do just what walmart has done and make ordering a "self checkout".

Fast food wages were never meant to be living wages, they are stepping stones. There is a reason that many fast food employees are teenagers or college kids. These jobs are for Spare change not careers (except management and higher).

I respect even the fast food worker who works for $7.25. At least they are working and not bumbing. While they may not be living up to there full potential at least they are doing something.

Last edited:
Well people aren't willing to work for $7.25 an hour anymore. Isn't that the free market at work?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Well people aren't willing to work for $7.25 an hour anymore. Isn't that the free market at work?

They are still working, and yes if there was a shortage of workers then yes the market would move to more pay. They may start at 7.25, but most make closer to 10.

Look i don't care if they make $15. But i don't want any entity, like the gubment to come in and strong arm a company.

I've said it before, we have the most obese poor people of any country. ( And the nicest prison conditions).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Why don't these workers get an education or learn a skill that will allow them to make a better living ?

There's way more to it than people like me (white & privileged) expecting them to "get an education" and get paid more. Im really not smart enough to lay it all out in simple terms but these people (predominantly people of color) have a harder time.

Why should anyone that works 40+ hours have to still struggle??...they are part of a growing group called the working poor.

From a site that I just pulled up on McDonalds 1st qt earnings in 2015:
"Return of $1.4 billion to shareholders through dividends and share repurchases"

As for the franchise owners, how much are they making?...how much do these shareholders and franchise owners NEED to make....its back to the same thing, greed and a system of unfettered capitalism that will create more demonstrations, each one bigger than the last. Good on "em I say.

The minimum wage has basically gone down since its been frozen for almost 6 years. We all know that most others things are getting more expensive.

"Silly that folks don't realize the franchise owners can't afford to increase their payroll for unskilled workers." How do we know that??

Apparently their sales are down, I should hope so, they make food that nobody should eat!

Based on your logic and since you are "white and privileged", why don't we take a chunk of your income and give it to these "people of color" because you have determined they have a tougher time. How much do you NEED to make? As you said, comes back to greed.

The problem with raising the minimum wage is that it becomes a pay cut for everyone else. Lets say the minimum wage is $7/hr and you raise it to $9/hr. I make $11/hr. Prices will go up to cover the additional labor costs. That means my $11 can now purchase fewer goods and services. Thus, a pay cut. You may have helped a few (that's questionable), but probably have hurt even more.

Last edited:
Everytime I have desired a pay raise I went and found a new job. Standing outside the corporate office protesting never worked for me.

Originally Posted By: otis24
The problem with raising the minimum wage is that it becomes a pay cut for everyone else. Lets say the minimum wage is $7/hr and you raise it to $9/hr. I make $11/hr. Prices will go up to cover the additional labor costs. That means my $11 can now purchase fewer goods and services. Thus, a pay cut. You may have helped a few (that's questionable), but probably have hurt even more.

Following this reasoning, we should institute forced unpaid labor and maybe even slavery, because it will mean lower overhead and prices for the rest of us. Pay the low level workers with food and drink, and maybe let them sleep in the storage room. They'll be well-fed, well-rested and ready to serve.

I would gladly support a pay raise for fast food workers if I got home with a bag of food that followed what I ordered on a consistent basis....

Originally Posted By: otis24

thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
Everytime I have desired a pay raise I went and found a new job. Standing outside the corporate office protesting never worked for me.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back