2 weeks of Sirius/XM started yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I am paying much to much for sirius xm radio i was going to cancel it last week thank you for reminding me..

They've always had it for $20 for 5 months. Around $22 with taxes and fees. You just have to call and go through the script. Just redid mine after they told me that the last time I had it was an introductory offer and they couldn't give it to me again. Told them I was going to cancel and they gave it to me again.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6719326-sirius-xm-20-for-5-months?v=1&src=SiteSearch

The free trials are a sanitized version, but will give you an idea of what you're missing.

I've been a $5/mth subscriber for two years+ now and don't know what I'd do without. I had to listen to radio in a work vehicle last week and it's still as bad as when I last heard it.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
The free trials are a sanitized version, but will give you an idea of what you're missing.

I've been a $5/mth subscriber for two years+ now and don't know what I'd do without. I had to listen to radio in a work vehicle last week and it's still as bad as when I last heard it.

They are a sanitized version - but the ONLY way I can get real, actual country music playing in the car without using Pandora or my music collection.

I just can't justify the cost, though. I don't spend much time in the car.

The free trial is 60 channels which might even be thought of as generous. I pay for a subscription for my elderly mom who's used it 5-6 hours a day since 2007. I like the content and it sounds good even through modest stereos like hers.

My biggest issue with Sirius/XM is that I've heard too many stories of people who threaten to quit and end up with $5/month subscriptions. People who have two radios will get a discount but they apparently won't budge on the price if you threaten to quit and aren't a fairly recent subscriber. Retention and overall numbers at whatever cost is a sh**ty business practice as far as I'm concerned.

I love having Sirius. I have it in my car and I have the Travel Link with internet radio. I use it at work for background noise. The pricing does suck and I have had pitched battles on the phone with the customer service people before.

My favorite part of calling customer service is when they say "thank you for choosing SiriusXM, we know you have choices for internet radio" please explain to me my other choices.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

My biggest issue with Sirius/XM is that I've heard too many stories of people who threaten to quit and end up with $5/month subscriptions. People who have two radios will get a discount but they apparently won't budge on the price if you threaten to quit and aren't a fairly recent subscriber. Retention and overall numbers at whatever cost is a sh**ty business practice as far as I'm concerned.

Just quit, they will beg you to come back.
Next month, I will take the 5 month deal for $30. and then I will quit again.
The Mustang gets put away for winter. Not paying for service while it is in storage.
The "plea papers" for return touting the $5/month special will be in my mailbox before spring.
I'll play the $5/mo. game because I do like the service. That is about the max I will pay for it however.

I had to listen to radio in a work vehicle last week and it's still as bad as when I last heard it.

This. I've had Sirius for a couple years now, and whenever I'm forced to listen to local radio I almost gag at the selection. Not to mention you have a 4 minute song, 5 minutes of commercials. 5 minute song, 6 minutes of commercials, etc. I've narrowed my subscription to music only for about $10 a month, but got an email a week or so ago about another rate increase.

Boy, all you have to do is call to get the $20 for 5 months. That works out to $4 a month. They will make you multiple offers before you get down to the $20 for 5 months. You just have to keep saying no until they make you that offer. The magic words are, not interested, I'm going to cancel. Worse case is that if they let you go, you can call back a day or two after it expires and they'll give you $20 for 5 months. Some people mentioned in the thread earlier have been doing it for years. I tell them I have a 6 cd changer, spotify and bluetooth so I don't really need it and it's only worth $20 to me.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

You should see their bizarre marketing in Canada. I just finally got them to stop calling me. I've been a member since I got the G37, having the full package, always paid. They call, and call, and call, talking about adjusting the payment schedule to save me a couple bucks a year (literally very little, under $10 a year). I finally had enough and told them that I've been a customer for years, and there's no need for the continual hustle. I've got the product. I'm paying for the product. I've been a long term customer. How does it make sense - and how do you earn your wage - by trying to keep me on the same package for less money?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

You should see their bizarre marketing in Canada. I just finally got them to stop calling me. I've been a member since I got the G37, having the full package, always paid. They call, and call, and call, talking about adjusting the payment schedule to save me a couple bucks a year (literally very little, under $10 a year). I finally had enough and told them that I've been a customer for years, and there's no need for the continual hustle. I've got the product. I'm paying for the product. I've been a long term customer. How does it make sense - and how do you earn your wage - by trying to keep me on the same package for less money?

Yep, they do tend to call. That's why it's recommended to change your phone number in your account info to a fake number so they don't call you. Some people also don't like how they automatically charge your credit card and prefer to send in a check.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The free trials are a sanitized version,

Does that mean no Howard Stern?

Correct. I don't even think those channels are available at my "select" level. The free trial weeks are basically clean music and news channels. You don't get to hear stuff like sporting events, a couple of comedy channels, and a bunch of unfiltered music stations. It only demonstrates a small portion of what's really available. I guess I get why they do that, but it still doesn't really show how much people are missing out on.

Once you get used to no commercials and way better music choices, you'll never go back to radio.

For $20 for 5 months, you get the select package which is normally $15 a month. That gets you 140+ channels and that includes Stern and traffic.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Some people also don't like how they automatically charge your credit card and prefer to send in a check.

I can live with the credit card thing, but if they start calling again, my phone number may magically change, at least for them.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Some people also don't like how they automatically charge your credit card and prefer to send in a check.

I can live with the credit card thing, but if they start calling again, my phone number may magically change, at least for them.

Oh, I just found that you can log into your account online and there's a preference section on telephone calls. I set it to do not call. The default is set to call you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back