Vastly improved MPG on Acura??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
You guys have no winter! And please, don't rub it in!!

Yes, we have winter and summer gas like everywhere. But we have special blend(for both winter and summer) that costs 10-20 cents more a gallon, it supposed to reduce emission but at lower mileage.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Summer gas is a very small difference in mpg. Like 1 or 2. Not several.

I am in Minnesota also but I strongly disagree. My experience is more like 3-5 mpg, about 10-15%.

Also from Minnesota, can confirm that summer to winter mileage varies 3-5mpg on average, usually see the first big hit when the stations start the switchover to winter fuel around the end of October beginning of November and it starts getting better in April/May.

Crushingly cold temps don't help either, you get used to hearing the power steering pump groaning, the engine rattling, and the transmission screaming for mercy when you start the truck up in the morning.

Break-in. Saw the same on a 2005 Honda Accord with the 4-cylinder engine. First few thousand km were awful MPG and seriously was considering returning it to the dealer and complaining. But eventually it improved.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Break-in. Saw the same on a 2005 Honda Accord with the 4-cylinder engine. First few thousand km were awful MPG and seriously was considering returning it to the dealer and complaining. But eventually it improved.

Quote:
08 Acura TL 3.2L PU Pure Plus 5-20

It takes an Acura 7 years to break in? LOL

Last edited:
Contemplating putting in new NGK Iridium IX spark plugs now before the 100k recommended service to see if that boosts mpgs alittle. Current mileage is 91,223.

Last edited by a moderator:
As everyone else has stated "Summer". (Tires have higher pressure, shorter cold-start fuel enrichment, thinner trans fluid/axle grease/PS fluid/oil/air...)
And the change from (probably) bulk 5w30 kwik-lube oil to PU 5w20.

Go ahead and change the plugs, but in my experience stick with OE brand/style of plugs. Only deviate from stock brand/style of plug by getting better plugs within the same family i.e.: If your OE plug spec is Bosch double platinum with a conventional single ground-strap then use a Bosch double platinum or Iridium plug with a conventional single ground-strap. Do not use quad ground-strap style or splitfire, or autolite or Bosch copper plugs unless you genuinely have a special scenario and you really know what you're doing! (Special scenarios would include highly modified engines including turbos, nitrous, or high-compression pistons... then maybe the best plug is 100 miles away from stock like an Autolite copper plug or Denso "U-Groove" plug, or Bosch quad ground-strap plug.)

Even better than new plugs, new upstream (pre-cat) O2 sensors (again OE brand) will probably increase your gas mileage measurably. O2 sensors "work" well beyond 100K miles, but "working" and "optimum performance" are two different animals. Oil still "works" beyond 20K miles, but you probably don't let it go that far before changing it because you don't want "working" you want somewhere between "optimum performance" and "working well". A 13" black-and-white television "works" with an antenna, but a 60" 4K OLED TV fed by cable or satellite is nearer to "optimal performance".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back