Takata Airbags = largest auto recall ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
There is a list from the original recall, but the recent addition nearly doubled the number of cars, and I haven't seen an expanded list.

They're still working on the new list, AFAIK...

As of May 19th...
Quote:
NHTSA is waiting for the automakers to supply a complete list of affected vehicles. As this information becomes available, NHTSA will update this site to provide the American public with this information.

Once manufacturers identify which vehicles are affected, use NHTSA’s VIN search tool to confirm whether your individual vehicle is under recall, and search by VIN on a specific vehicle-maker's site.

http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/index.html

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

For every story like your fathers, there is 20 where the seatbelt was the better option. We have to go with the odds.

That's why I said I don't advocate not using seatbelts and airbags. As for the odds, to quote Han Solo, Never tell me the odds!

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I cant even imagine how this company still exists after something like this happens. Crazy amount of money involved to fix all these airbags.

Either Takata will be an M&A target, sell parts of itself or they have a fatty insurance policy covering them. Honda seemed to be rocked the hardest here - not as much Toyota and Nissan. Toyota mostly has a subsidiary make their airbags with Morton/Autoliv inflators AFAIK.

And a strange twist - Mercedes is somehow immune from this recall, even though Daimler is a big Takata Petri customer. Then again, I do recall seeing TRW on Mercedes seatbelts and airbags.

Our Acura was fixed a few weeks ago. They didn't replace the airbag itself, but the actual inflator. Most media stories use the term "airbag", so I don't know if the recall differs by vehicle in terms of what actual part is recalled, or if all of these "airbag" replacements are actually just inflator replacements.

Our Acura's recall was for the driver side only. Our Honda is not part of the recall so far.

My Corolla was recalled as part of original recall. Here's a rundown:

My car gets recalled. They are inspecting all recalled cars but only replacing parts if the inspection indicates the need. They said my car was fine.

My car get recalled again. Based on inspections of some junked cars in Florida, they need to replace the defective parts regardless of how they look. Problem is they don't have anywhere near the required number of parts. Solution: Toyota recommends that no one sits in the passenger seat.

Would you do anything differently if your car was on the list? I'm not worried about it.

Update!

Just received the recall letter today. I can take my car in to get the airbag inflator module replaced. Wonder if the local dealer will have any parts in stock?

So, has anyone actually had their airbag replaced yet as a result of this recall?

I have only received a letter from BMW last month confirming that my car is in scope of the recall, but I need to wait for a second letter to let me take the car in once the part is available.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, has anyone actually had their airbag replaced yet as a result of this recall?

I have only received a letter from BMW last month confirming that my car is in scope of the recall, but I need to wait for a second letter to let me take the car in once the part is available.

My dad's Civic has had the driver's side and passenger side done. They did the driver's side first, then sent out a letter for the passenger side on a separate campaign.

Our shop has done quite a few Mitsubishi inflators so far. Mostly Raiders and Lancers...not sure if the recall is covering other models too.

We have done a bunch of the 05-06 Mustang airbags. Now there is a recall expanding it to 05-14 Mustangs and recalling the 05-06 recall airbags. Of course no ETA on parts, but the writers keep bringing people in since they can't read or retain anything.

I had the steering wheel air bag done on the CRV. The dealer only contacted my parents directly about the recall when they had an airbag on the shelf with their name on it.
I can't even tell that they replaced it, and I don't plan on testing the new airbag out either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

My wife's Charger was done today.

I had my Corolla done a few weeks ago. I have no idea what they did but they said they took care of it. Don't think they are changing out the airbags. Think they are changing out some "actuator" part.

My Ranger is recalled for this. A few years ago, I got in a car accident and the airbags deployed. There was no metal shrapnel. I wonder if my replacement airbags are also "defective." Regardless, I'll bring it in when the parts are available, whenever that will be.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
what do they do with the old one?

We ship it back to Takata. I have done more HAZMAT FedEx shipments the past couple months than I ever wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back