5w30 in a spec 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for the dead horse, I'm out on my phone so I can't really search. I saw Kendall full syn for 2.99 at my 99 cent store but it was only 5w30. Would you put it in a 5w20 still under warranty?

What kind of car? The safe answer is "no". What are you saving over the time of ownership and maintenance for the car, a few dollars? If there was a warranty claim what would your argument be, "but sir, there was this sale at the "99 cent store".........

Won't hurt anything (except maybe 1/100th of an MPG) and putting in a different grade doesn't automatically kill your warranty, they would have to prove the failure was because you ran an out of spec oil which isn't likely to happen.

I'd run it with confidence on my 5w-20 vehicle.

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
sorry for the dead horse, I'm out on my phone so I can't really search. I saw Kendall full syn for 2.99 at my 99 cent store but it was only 5w30. Would you put it in a 5w20 still under warranty?

I would even put 0W40 in it during summer if it's ever driven hard.

I've been using 5w30 in my 5w20 specd 08 edge since new. no one will notice any difference except for you at the cash register.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What kind of car? The safe answer is "no". What are you saving over the time of ownership and maintenance for the car, a few dollars? If there was a warranty claim what would your argument be, "but sir, there was this sale at the "99 cent store".........

2013 ford explorer in the sig, Its not so much the sale its just that this is the only time ive ever seen kendall other than firestone quick lubes. Im probably gonna check the other 99 cent stores in the area to see if any carry 5w20. They only had 76 oil in the 5w20 flavor.

5w30 instead of 5w20. You nor your motor will know the difference.

The simplest answer is: check your owner's manual.

Does it absolutely, positively say you shouldn't run anything thicker than 5w20?

Originally Posted By: chainblu
The simplest answer is: check your owner's manual.

Does it absolutely, positively say you shouldn't run anything thicker than 5w20?

If it does say a 20 grade must be used with no exceptions I'll eat my shirt.

Go to the Aussie or European ford site and see what they suggest.

Engines are capable of running a range of grades. Going thicker may not be optimal whereas optimal is defined by the own but their definition of optimal likely emphasizes specific points that

Originally Posted By: gulian
no one will notice any difference except for you at the cash register.
How is that when the cost of 5W-30 and 5W-20 are the same?

there are a few engines that would not like it, a hemi with mds, and the chain driven subaru's. probably others but in general 5w30 will be fine in yours.

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: gulian
no one will notice any difference except for you at the cash register.
How is that when the cost of 5W-30 and 5W-20 are the same?

That particular 99 cent store only has Kendall full syn 5w30 on sale, they don't have xW20 on sale.

I also would check the Mobil and Shell oil selector for several other countries -- and you often will see a higher weight oil recommendation versus USA 0W20 or 5W20.

Mobil 1 website indicates their 0W30 can be used in my Subaru which is spec'd for 0W20 (although the manual allows for top off with an xx-30, or xx-40 weight too).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I found 10w30 Durablend for 79¢ and use it in cars that spec 5w20 no problems.

You d'man!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
there are a few engines that would not like it, a hemi with mds, and the chain driven subaru's. probably others but in general 5w30 will be fine in yours.

I can't comment about the Subaru chains however I presently maintain 4 hemi's from 06 to 13. All are equipped with mds. They operate just fine using a 30 grade and 40 grades,conventional hdeo 15w-40 last summer in my brothers. He had a slow coolant leak which led to some deposits. I chose to use it because of the detergent/dispersant package.

To believe otherwise is just not thinking about the wide range of operating conditions trucks are driven. From -40 A 0w-20 is a whack ton thicker than a 0w-40 is at 0 degrees,so why would going thicker matter. Especially in a warm climate.
We've got 4 and 2 I am the only driver and because I spend so much time driving I become intimately familiar with its systems,acceleration,braking and so on. And my 2 are operated in way different manners. I drive the charger bit gets my heart pumping.
My truck is my office on wheels and is more like a multi function appliance that keeps me organized whereas the car I open the sunroof,turn it up and hit the 4 lane prairie highways that lead to empty 2 lane prairie side roads where you call on that 400lbs of torque.
Anyways novel over

Hemis are fine with 30 and 40 grades. All systems operate properly like the MDS and the cam phasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back