Semi-Auto Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on your budget. $750 might get you in a new. One. Look on classified sites to see if there is a nice used one

There are some soft shooting 12 ga semi autos in the Italian flavor

Depends on what you are shooting. Duck and goose, Turkey, deer targets. I have a Franchii 20 gauge that is very light 4.5 lbs. It will not shoot 3" and is mechanical semi auto. Alot like a Browning Auto 5. Reminton makes some as well as others. Take a look on GunBroker.com

Originally Posted By: bobbob
My rotator cuff is shot so a 12 gauge has too much recoil for me. Does anyone know which brand
makes a 20 gauge semi-auto?

The key question is: what is the softest shooter?

Answer: SX3, Maxus, used Browning Gold or Browning Silver.

I have a used Beretta 303 20 gauge, but they are a tough find.

Stay away from Inertia guns.

I would pick one from Winchester/Browning (FN).

Passed a sweet deal on a Winchester SX3 a while back, they are nice guns.

IIRC it was 900$ taxes in or something insane like that... I still regret it now that our dollar took a huge dump since I was offered the deal at Baron Sport.

Now my only hope of getting a new one would be to trade one for my Mini-30, as I just can't afford a Semi 12 anymore.

Charles Daly has a 20 gauge semi auto that I have shot very often for bunnies and pheasant. Always 100% reliable and a pretty smooth shooter. Best part is you can find them on GunBroker for around $325 or lower used and about $400ish new.

Great bang for the buck!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have a Remington 1100. It's much "Friendlier" than my Mossberg pump. Also remember that a heavier gun = less kick.

The 1100 is a great shotgun. A semi auto as a rule kicks a bit less than a slide action. I have three 1100's, one is well over 30 years old and they work flawlessly. They're a good bang for the buck.
wink.gif

Also- Recoil pads. You can retrofit a recoil pad to any shotgun. Dad gave me a Remington 12 gauge pump 30 years ago and it had a steel buttplate on it. I was too much of a city boy for that. I got a good deal on a thick Pachmayr recoil pad and had it installed by my gunsmith. Night and day man.

Any gas operated semi auto shotgun will be easier on you as far as recoil goes compared to a pump or single.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have a Remington 1100. It's much "Friendlier" than my Mossberg pump. Also remember that a heavier gun = less kick.

Yep and most 20's are lighter than 12's so...20ga shooting 7/8 & 1 oz loads will have more felt recoil than the heavier 12ga shooting the same loads.

What are you going to use this gun for ? and your budget ?

I have a Winchester Super X2 that you can barely feel the recoil when fired. A few years ago, I had a rotator cuff issue in both shoulders. It is gone now, but even when it really hurt the SX2 was enjoyable to shoot.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I have a Winchester Super X2 that you can barely feel the recoil when fired. A few years ago, I had a rotator cuff issue in both shoulders. It is gone now, but even when it really hurt the SX2 was enjoyable to shoot.

The Browning Gold and Winchester Super X2 are the same guns, the Browning is a little nicer finish wise. Both are very nice, super reliable and soft shooting, would be at the top of my list for used guns followed by the Remington 1100.

My buddy just bought a used like new Browning Gold 28" vent rib and slug barrel for $600.

It would be easier if we knew his budget ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Charles Daly has a 20 gauge semi auto that I have shot very often for bunnies and pheasant. Always 100% reliable and a pretty smooth shooter. Best part is you can find them on GunBroker for around $325 or lower used and about $400ish new.

Great bang for the buck!

They went out of business...those are orphan guns now.

I know Mossberg makes a semi auto as well as CZ. I agree that a gas operated gun will likely shoot the softest. I have owned long recoil and inertia guns. A remington 1100 will be one of the best used guns to get as there is plenty of parts availability for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back