Intentionally keeping "We Owe" forms blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought another Town and Country over the weekend and had an observation that I hadn't seen before... and was looking to see if anyone else had come across this.

There were a few things outstanding on the van. It was missing the owner's manual, the remote for the DVD player, and the second key fob. Granted, that's probably only about $100 in items, but I'd still like to have them. Not having the second key fob is somewhat of an issue, as then you have to get the dealer/locksmith involved in programming a second one.

I wanted to get this in writing, on a "we owe" form. But the saleslady, who I'd never met before but seemed trustworthy, insisted that "you want to deal with ME on those items. I'LL take care of it for you".

I've received an email message from the saleslady, telling me that she's mailed all of the items to me, and to let her know if anything else becomes an issue. I haven't seen the items yet, but still have no reason to doubt her.

So... here's the question... Are the salespeople trying to intentionally keep management in the dark in submitting "we owe" forms with nothing shown on them... while at the same time appearing to work "behind the scenes" to take care of the customers... or have I finally found a salesperson who really DOES care, and truly wants to handle these issues personally... so she KNOWS that it got taken care of?

In my cynical mind, they don't want anything they owe you in writing, so you have no recourse when you try to "collect" on those missing items. Maybe your sales person is honest. If it were me, I would insist on those items on a We Owe form...or no deal (if it's a deal-breaker to you).

Scam! At least with the keys, say its two sets or no sale. The DVD remote you can get off ebay for a few bux if you wait.

Getting it in writing will protect you from an unscrupulous dealer or salesperson.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
In my cynical mind, they don't want anything they owe you in writing, so you have no recourse when you try to "collect" on those missing items. Maybe your sales person is honest. If it were me, I would insist on those items on a We Owe form...or no deal (if it's a deal-breaker to you).

X2.

Without anything in writing, after the deal is done, all you have is a salesperson's word. Maybe they will come through, maybe they won't.

I've seen salespeople buy say a $30 GM transponder key, but $100 is kind of a lot for them to throw in out of their own pocket. I can assure you the parts department won't give them [censored] without one of three things...a we owe, an RO, or money. I've been given hand written, but signed we owes, but not blank ones. I need something on there to cover me and show I had approval to bill sales for the part(s).

Hopefully your stuff shows up. Good luck getting it (without paying) if it doesn't. Everything that is an actual part of the deal should really be in writing.

Turnover is very high in that job. Hopefully your salesperson wasn't planning on bailing next week and just wanted to push through some deals so their last check would be nice.

If the salesperson sent you an email regarding what she owes you, then you actually have it in writing as emails are typically binding now.

In reading the post, I keep hearing People's Court Judge Marilyn Milian saying "There's a name for people who don't get things in writing -- 'Plaintiff.'"

It's all business, and even if you trust the salesman, you never know what may happen after you leave. My first new vehicle was purchased on a Saturday at the end of the month, and as luck would have it, the state I lived in changed the form used for a title transfer as of the first of the following month, so when I went to the BMV the following Saturday to register it, I was told I had to go back to the dealer to get the new form. Called the dealership and was told the salesman was no longer employed there. Since this was a state form, they didn't have a choice, but if there was a blank "we owe"form involved, I'd have been out of luck.

Those items are definitely more than $100. Owners manual can cost up to $100 and a key fob and go as high as $200. Of course it all depends on car mfg.

My daughter bought a used Yaris last summer. It had no spare key and the owner's manual was missing. I didn't know it at the time or it would've been a subject of contention with the dealership, but a spare key cost her $90 because it has a chip in it, and the owners manual is $58...if this situation arises for the next vehicle purchase, the seller will be on the hook for these items...they are two items that should always stay with the vehicle, and if they're not, it shouldn't be on the buyer to replace them...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
If the salesperson sent you an email regarding what she owes you, then you actually have it in writing as emails are typically binding now.

+1

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
..But the saleslady, who I'd never met before but seemed trustworthy, insisted that "you want to deal with ME on those items. I'LL take care of it for you"...

Okay sweetie just put that right here on your paperwork and we'll wrap up this deal now.
I'm sure your manager will appreciate it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Those items are definitely more than $100. Owners manual can cost up to $100 and a key fob and go as high as $200. Of course it all depends on car mfg.

I agree. I was thinking the key fob alone with be much higher than $100.

When my dad bought his A4, the deal was that the windshield and driver window motor get replaced. It only came with the plastic key and dummy key. (it should have came with 2 laser cut key fobs too.) Since the car had engine issues right away, he wasnt able to get the key fob until last week. We had the car since the second week of January.

The used car dealer still honored his original deal and paid for the key.

Originally Posted By: grampi
My daughter bought a used Yaris last summer. It had no spare key and the owner's manual was missing. I didn't know it at the time or it would've been a subject of contention with the dealership, but a spare key cost her $90 because it has a chip in it, ...

That's Nothing... when I bought my sable, it had all the bits, but the key/fob that had the clear wear on it, had one of the rubber buttons worn through. ordered a replacement shell from fleabay, when i transferred the internals over, i must have shorted something, cuz the entire board was dead. even had the ford dealer look at it. ended up having to get a new one cut/programmed, IIRC it was between $150-200.( don't have the file handy with the receipt.)

When we got the wife's Jeep, it had a large rock chip in the windshield. The salesman agreed that they would replace the windshield and set up an appointment a few days later to get it replaced. She took it in, and when she went to pick it up it turned out they had done a resin repair rather than replacing it. She argued with the salesman and he insisted that the agreement was only to repair the windshield, not replace it. She came home, and then called and talked to the sales manager who also told her the same thing. Finally, she called back again and asked to speak to the owner. He wasn't there at the time, but she left a message for him. When he called her back and she explained the situation, we pretty much expected the same answer. However what he said was, "No customer of mine gets treated like this. Come back in and I will personally see that the windshield gets replaced". She went back in and they replaced the windshield, plus he had it fully detailed and waxed, and gave her 5 free oil changes.

Obviously this owner understands the value of making a customer happy so they come back, where the salesman just cares about getting his paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back