Hawaii May Eliminate Ethanol Blend in Gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Not sure the waiting for mass transit as opposed to moving about freely thing is an adequate analogy for my situation. Primarily because mass transit is not going to come 11 miles out of a town of 300 people to my rural property and give me a ride. I do appreciate vehicles for transportation, but have no love affair with them. They are tools to get something done. And what goes in the tank is just the cost of using them. And to that end, I focus on the lowest cost per mile. I don't care if it is E0, E10, E15, E20, E30, or E85. I don't care if it is made from corn, sugar cane, sugar beets, or cat urine. If the corn folks want to make ethanol, go for it. And to make it, at least we have not have to go to war and spend hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of lives to keep the ethanol spigots flowing like we have oil. No doubt there has been waste thrown at the ethanol folks in the past, and the emphasis is on "past" because ethanol subsidies ended in 2011, but it hardly even compares to the money we have spent all around the world playing games with keeping the oil flowing. Am not saying that doing that is necessarily a terrible thing, just that ethanol production has hardly cost anyone near as much as oil has. If we tacked on the price of all the military adventures, money transfers, military aid, etc, etc, etc, that this country has thrown around, to the price of gas at the pump, then many would have some serious reason to pitch a fit. It has been estimated by some economists that if we applied all those costs to fuel at the pump, the cost for a gallon of gasoline would exceed $10 a gallon. And that doesn't include the lives that have been ruined in keeping that oil flowing.

I have no problem for folks in IA to make ethanol, however, considering that people in IA hate Federal govt. it is "strange" how they like ethanol mandate.
I say, go away with mandate, and they can produce ethanol if they want.

I live is ethanol central and I have the choice of non ethanol regular and premium any day of the week, all year long......

Yes, but you have to pay a 30-40 cent premium for the privilege of buying E0.

I agree with many posters above. Make all the ethanol you want - but don't force me, through rule of law, to buy the [censored] or pay a royalty to buy fuel without it. If it's so frickin great, let it stand on it's own in the market place.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
I live is ethanol central and I have the choice of non ethanol regular and premium any day of the week, all year long......

Yes, but you have to pay a 30-40 cent premium for the privilege of buying E0.

Works for me. I buy five gallons every sixty days so the premium price even for 87 octane isn't really noticed by me especially since my small motors require no fuel system maintenance.

Ethanol profits are way down for the year due to the drop in oil prices but expected to become more profitable as the price of oil starts to move upward. I buy E0 at a Shell station located about a mile and a half from ADM which make tens of thousands of gallons of ethanol every day. Growers are cutting back on corn due to low prices so one guess is as good as another when it comes to ethanol production. One thing for sure though is the money ethanol has put into many local economies. Ethanol is no going away. I personally think ethanol is a political boondoggle, but I'm not going to get the c*@# kicked out of me bad mouthing it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I have no problem for folks in IA to make ethanol, however, considering that people in IA hate Federal govt. it is "strange" how they like ethanol mandate.

I am not sure anyone in Iowa is jumping up and down for any ethanol mandate. Most folks I deal with, both in agriculture and out, really don't waste much time thinking about it. And we in Iowa have no "mandate" to buy any of the stuff. Sure, most of the fuel in Iowa is blended with ethanol, and many of us use it on a regular basis because we choose to, but anyone can just as easily buy non ethanol fuel if we wanted to any time. Both regular and premium varieties. E0 is available in any town surrounding me, any day of the week, any time of the year. Your issue is not with Iowa but your own state regulations.

Sure the EPA has a "mandate" that a certain amount of ethanol be in the fuel supply, but it is state regulations that determine whether there will also be non ethanol fuel available or not. The federal mandate for a certain amount of ethanol be produced and used does not demand that non ethanol fuel not be made available. Most of us in Iowa just prefer to use the stuff, but the state does not restrict non ethanol availability for those that want it.

If someone, somewhere does not have a choice to buy E0 or not, that is your hired help in your own state that makes that decision. Don't pass the blame to Iowa. We sure aren't dictating to anyone they have to use ethanol. That is the goofiness between your own state and the EPA. We don't play those games in Iowa. But some folks just love to blame others for their own problems.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I am not sure anyone in Iowa is jumping up and down for any ethanol mandate. Most folks I deal with, both in agriculture and out, really don't waste much time thinking about it. And we in Iowa have no "mandate" to buy any of the stuff. Sure, most of the fuel in Iowa is blended with ethanol, and many of us use it on a regular basis because we choose to, but anyone can just as easily buy non ethanol fuel if we wanted to any time. Both regular and premium varieties. E0 is available in any town surrounding me, any day of the week, any time of the year. Your issue is not with Iowa but your own state regulations.

Sure the EPA has a "mandate" that a certain amount of ethanol be in the fuel supply, but it is state regulations that determine whether there will also be non ethanol fuel available or not. The federal mandate for a certain amount of ethanol be produced and used does not demand that non ethanol fuel not be made available. Most of us in Iowa just prefer to use the stuff, but the state does not restrict non ethanol availability for those that want it.

If someone, somewhere does not have a choice to buy E0 or not, that is your hired help in your own state that makes that decision. Don't pass the blame to Iowa. We sure aren't dictating to anyone they have to use ethanol. That is the goofiness between your own state and the EPA. We don't play those games in Iowa. But some folks just love to blame others for their own problems.

I am not talking about choice of buying it. As far as I am concerned, you can put diesel in gas car.
I yet to see gas station in last 4 yrs that does not have a sticker saying "might contain 10% ethanol." Cannot remember when I saw last time gas with 0% ethanol, and I lived in last 4 years in AL, CA and now CO. Also, did several trips across the country, same thing.
My thing is that excuse for mandate, to get rid of dependance on foreign oil is just excuse for subsidies to farmers. That is my issue with it. While same group of people have "serious" issues with things like ACA (or for them: Obamacare), they are perfectly fine for rest of the country to subsidies their business, that also has huge impact on price of corn in the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back