Looking to buy first atv

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense and I am glad your happy with the Suzuki and Artic Cat, but really you cant make a decision based on only owning one brand. I thought Yamaha ATVs were the best till I got a Honda and then thought Honda was Great till I got a Polaris. Almost all the quads makers have reliable engines and drive trains. I have owned several brands and Polaris is by far the best riding quad and durable quad. The components are much larger, they have a heavier drive and by far are just less complicated. They pretty much are like farm machinery. The 400 or 500 Sportsman would be my suggestion. Stay away from the twins. Also pre 2006 Polaris are built really good. They have like all manufactures cheapened and lightened them up now to keep the price down.

Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki. Based upon your needs, something like the Yamaha Grizzly 350 would be a great first quad. Add 4wd for about $800 if you think you need it. Buy new unless you know the used history. Some people really abuse these things.

Originally Posted By: sonofbumperbolt
No offense, but who said I only owned one brand?
Sorry, I find it hard to believe you were impressed with the Suzuki power. The new Artic Cats are better, but the ones that still had the Suzuki motors were terrible. That being said, I do think the Artic Cats are the best looking of all the ATVs.

I did not say I was impressed with the power. I said "It was solid, reliable, and very good on fuel." and "I feel the 500cc Suzuki (motor) is one of the best ever built." In the context of my usage a reliable power plant is much more important to me.
The OP can purchase what he wishes to. I simply gave him my opinion based on the two brands I have used for work. I have also owned two Yamaha sport quads, a Honda sport quad, and even a 90cc Eton for the kids.
I have seat time on other brands as well but not enough to opine their suitability to the OPs needs.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
They have like all manufactures cheapened and lightened them up now to keep the price down.

Not really. Polaris are, and always have been, heavy machines. They were in a class of their own until 2012 when Can Am re-designed their atv's and joined Po in the "beached whale" class. And the price tags for these 900 pound machines is pretty similar around here: $anarmandaleg.99

Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
They have like all manufactures cheapened and lightened them up now to keep the price down.

Not really. Polaris are, and always have been, heavy machines. They were in a class of their own until 2012 when Can Am re-designed their atv's and joined Po in the "beached whale" class. And the price tags for these 900 pound machines is pretty similar around here: $anarmandaleg.99
The new Polaris 500 and 800s are built as light as the Trailboss 250s from the late 90s to 2000. If you would compare to the late 80s Polaris they were literally farm tractor tough and were way heavy duty. I could'nt believe how Polaris lightened up their 500 and took the pull starter, engine brake and redesigned them to a 570, not for the better. Can Am always had the performance edge on Polaris, but they never had the toughness. Can Am came with very little armor and were easily damaged. Polaris is a rugged machine that pretty much comes ready for war. I still think the best ones are made form 2002 to 2006 though.

Honda's brand clearly retains the highest resale because they require so few repairs in a category rife for day ending events.

The new Polaris 500 and 800s are built as light as the Trailboss 250s from the late 90s to 2000. If you would compare to the late 80s Polaris they were literally farm tractor tough and were way heavy duty. I could'nt believe how Polaris lightened up their 500 and took the pull starter, engine brake and redesigned them to a 570, not for the better. Can Am always had the performance edge on Polaris, but they never had the toughness. Can Am came with very little armor and were easily damaged. Polaris is a rugged machine that pretty much comes ready for war. I still think the best ones are made form 2002 to 2006 though.

Wow, I guess we're not talking about the same company then. The Polaris I know are notorious for problems. I personally towed two Polaris RZR's off the mountain last year alone. A buddy of mine has a 2013 850 xp that was in the shop 7 times before it had 500 miles on it. Then last week, he noticed his a-arm was ripping away from the frame and the shock was locked up. One guy in our Paiute Trail group last year on a Po Sportsman 700 made it two miles from the trail head before his water pump blew out.
If Polaris are built like tanks, then they must be built like Russian tanks....
By the way, if you think the new 570 is "light", then you might want to look at a spec sheet. It's listed at 702 pounds dry! For a 500 class machine, that's about 150 pounds heavier than it ought to be.

The new Polaris machines are are just over 800lbs, by no means light. By comparison the heaviest Can Am is right around 780lbs (non 6x6). They both work out to around 10-11 lbs per HP. Yamaha Grizzly 700 is 650lbs and about 50hp or 13 lbs per HP.

In my experience the Polaris 2 strokes were pretty tough and the newer machines have been pretty reliable. The first few rounds of the 4 stroke machines had some reliability issues but they are a solid machine. Can Am seems to be pretty solid for my friends who abuse the heck out of them, big tires, deep mud and they keep going.

Yamaha are rock solid and last a long time as long as you don't need the power to turn big tires

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I currently have a Polaris Ranger 700cc UTV 4x4. I have tortured that machine using it for work and play since purchase in 2011 (im the second owner) Its had one CV boot go bad and the Speed sensor go out and a bendix go bad in the 4 years ive owned it and I use it year round.

I was made a offer on a 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 800cc just yesterday from my local dealer. Im likely going to trade in. My Polaris has served me well for 4 years with only small issues.

The only machines I would warn anyone away from in my experience are those knock-off no name machines.

UPDATE: kept the Kawasaki 800 Teryx 3 months, then sold it.. simply to long of a wheelbase for woods riding, I went back to a newer Polaris only with a 800cc this time. My Polaris Ranger is a absolute beast. In the past Year ive owned two Kawasaki's Two Suzuki', and two Polaris. Every machine if you use them hard will need repair's at some point. Im of the "buy more than you think you will need" opinion when it comes to ATV'S and UTV'S

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Japanese only! Stay away from the Polaris trash and the Chinese garbage. Search the ATV forum for my posts about the new Polaris we bought. They were junk 15 yrs ago and still are. Can't hold a candle to a Japanese ATV.

THIS! Only by Japanese machines! The one and only Polaris RZR I had was [censored]! Light duty,cheap, impossible to easily service, etc.
I have an 06 Suzuki King Quad and a 15 Kawasaki Teryx2 sxs that comes with a 3 year factory warranty, both rugged and trouble free machines.

Last edited:
Been enjoying my Taiwan made kymco mxu700i.

They build artic cat engines and even built some of Hondas engines for awhile.

Sake power out as the grizzly 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back