Diff & Transfer Case Lube Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '08 Toyota Sequoia Limited 5.7L needs needs new differential and transfer case fluid. It's just over 100k. The owners manuals has..

Differential: LT 75W-85 GL-5

Transfer Case: Gear oil API GL-5 SAE 75W-90

Is there a gear oil I can use for both? I would imagine a 75w-90 will work fine in all 3? Thanks

A 75w-90 should work in both. There might be a small fuel economy hit from going heavier in the diff, but a 75wXX gear oil is going to be a blend at least - so it shouldn't be too bad.

Differentials are pretty well built; I would worry about deviating from what the transfer case recommends more.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
A 75w-90 should work in both. There might be a small fuel economy hit from going heavier in the diff, but a 75wXX gear oil is going to be a blend at least - so it shouldn't be too bad.

Differentials are pretty well built; I would worry about deviating from what the transfer case recommends more.

Are there any good full synthetic 75w-90?

Originally Posted By: HiccaBurp
My '08 Toyota Sequoia Limited 5.7L needs needs new differential and transfer case fluid. It's just over 100k. The owners manuals has..

Differential: LT 75W-85 GL-5

Transfer Case: Gear oil API GL-5 SAE 75W-90

Is there a gear oil I can use for both? I would imagine a 75w-90 will work fine in all 3? Thanks

Amsoil SVG is the only way to go.

Are there any good full synthetic 75w-90?

Many. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, Synpower, Pennzoil, and others. Its not an uncommon grade.

I get the Mobil 1 75W90 from my local parts store...my front diff specifies 75W90 and the rear, a 80W90.

The Mobil 1 works just fine...

M1 75w90 looks to be the winner. It's $10.99 a quart minus 30% off.. can't beat that price. Looks like I need 6 quarts.

I really wanted to try the Amsoil SV gear oil, but it's almost twice the price and and would need to order.

Also, the parts store has Valvoline full-synthetic 75w90 for $7.99 minus 30%. How does Valvoline compare to M1?

Last edited:
Wow. I can get Amsoil at Mills Fleet Farm for about $13.xx a quart.

M1 75w90 looks to be the winner. It's $10.99 a quart minus 30% off.. can't beat that price. Looks like I need 6 quarts.

I really wanted to try the Amsoil SV gear oil, but it's almost twice the price and and would need to order.

Also, the parts store has Valvoline full-synthetic 75w90 for $7.99 minus 30%. How does Valvoline compare to M1?

Originally Posted By: mjk
Wow. I can get Amsoil at Mills Fleet Farm for about $13.xx a quart.

Yeah, M1 with the discount is $7.69 a quart. If I could find Amsoil locally and around $13 a quart, I'd jump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back