Poor Hybrid sales threaten 2025 CAFE targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: lovcom
One day the hybrid pushers are going to wake up an realize that many people need and want more than a small box for urban commuting.

When are the gas-only owners going to realize that Hybrids come IN THE SAME SIZE as nearly all other cars?!?

And the price differences are NEGLIGIBLE, making ROI come VERY QUICKLY.

The Prius V is fairly large, and is great for families. There are even bigger hybrids too.

Point me to a Hybrid that will tow my 33' boat.

Highlander, maybe? Or the Silverado Hybrid.

Originally Posted By: supton
I would not mind a hybrid, but for my pure highway commute, you would think a simple 1L mill coupled to a six speed manual would crank out the mpg's. Add four doors and it would be fine--leaving my truck to be lightly used on the weekends.

Have to say, I would missing rowing through the gears. I have been looking at simple cars lately, and I might prefer... a simple car. Knobs for temp control etc. A simple car leaves lots of money for gas...

I know there are hybrids that will tow my camper but would the loss in mpg on a daily basis make up for that? I plan to tow at random times, and it is at least 35 miles to anyplace that rents vehicles.

Sounds like you are the target market for the Mirage.

One day the hybrid pushers are going to wake up an realize that many people need and want more than a small box for urban commuting.

Who needs a small box? Our Forester gets the same mpg around town as our Civic.

(OK, it's not a huge SUV, but it's noticeably bigger than the Civic, and has full-time AWD).

If a hybrid halved my fuel consumption, I'd save about $30 a month. That would make a big difference in my life.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

Point me to a Hybrid that will tow my 33' boat.

Escalade. Denali.

They're rated to tow less than 3 tons. My boat weighs 7 tons.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I would not mind a hybrid, but for my pure highway commute, you would think a simple 1L mill coupled to a six speed manual would crank out the mpg's. Add four doors and it would be fine--leaving my truck to be lightly used on the weekends.

Have to say, I would missing rowing through the gears. I have been looking at simple cars lately, and I might prefer... a simple car. Knobs for temp control etc. A simple car leaves lots of money for gas...

I know there are hybrids that will tow my camper but would the loss in mpg on a daily basis make up for that? I plan to tow at random times, and it is at least 35 miles to anyplace that rents vehicles.

Yeah, I might be. I did test drive one, and I think I would be ok for zipping around Concord or MHT, maybe even running back and forth between those cities. However I thought I liked the Versa better... I have to drive again I think.

I could live with the unpleasantness of the three pot, but toss in what is for me the unknown of Mitsubishi parts availability.... Will say they tried really hard, and it is a deal for people who shop for options. Stretched into a sedan I would be more tempted.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Do you guys tow your 33' things every day commuting to work?

Sure, have (or rent) a big truck when you need it. Don't drive it everyday when its not needed. Although some people like to look cool and/or make up for something.

Right tool for the job. The Pious drivers just use more reasoning vs emotion when choosing what their daily driver should be.

But hey, "its a free country", so I know you have your right to drive a gas gassler, support the middle east (this was true for decades, shale oil has changed it now), put more pollutants in the air we all breathe, etc. Some people think about what their actions will do to others and the environment. Some think about it, then say "f&ck it".
34.gif

Imagining you or anyone else knows why we drive what we do is hilarious, and yet another example of the "pious" mindset. Imagining that choosing a pious somehow makes you more of a "reasoning" person is another great example. No thread is complete without the hybrid owners expressing their superiority over the lesser folks.

The real facts are you know nothing about anyone except yourself, and that's who should receive your "reasonings". What others drive is really not your concern at all...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The real facts are you know nothing about anyone except yourself, and that's who should receive your "reasonings". What others drive is really not your concern at all...

AMEN!

Yeah, I might be. I did test drive one, and I think I would be ok for zipping around Concord or MHT, maybe even running back and forth between those cities. However I thought I liked the Versa better... I have to drive again I think.

I could live with the unpleasantness of the three pot, but toss in what is for me the unknown of Mitsubishi parts availability.... Will say they tried really hard, and it is a deal for people who shop for options. Stretched into a sedan I would be more tempted.

I just drove one. Pretty nice, but I had a problem: the seat/pedals/steering relationship didn't fit me. It had my leg cocked at a weird angle, and my back is killing me.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I got looked at weird when I optioned my most recent truck without the Hemi, gas is cheap get the V8 right? I was like over my projected ownership period of 10-15 years who knows, so opt for better fuel mileage!

I optioned my truck with a 4 cylinder! In my commute it has been getting right about 24 mpg. It also tows well.

Until there's one that will tow a 33' Maxim cruiser, I'll pass.
wink.gif

Is that why the Cummins Dodge is your only vehicle? Oh, wait...

Last edited:
Considering that new trucks cost far north of $50k its cheaper to just pay the guys with the nice hydraulic trailers to move a boat like that twice a year.

Besides your beam is what around 12? Your illegal as can be over the road anyway. What's the boats max height I bet your pushing that as well.

I almost bought a Tiara 31 last winter and I was going to get a custom triple axle trailer made, they run like 5k. Just tow it to the yard and boat ramp twice a year to save winter storage, illegal OTR but I'd just do it on Sunday. The guy who does my site work was going to tow it back and forth for me as a favor with his Freightliner dump truck.

Now I'm holding off and poking around a Luhrs 40, so no way in heck I'm stuck at the marina. After a point its not the weight its the size.

Last edited:
When the oil industry gets done with their internal strife, gas prices will go back up to normal gouging levels of $3.50 to $4 and hybrid sales will go back up...this is just the cycle of a not so bright vehicle buying public...gas prices drop, gas guzzler sales go up, and fuel efficient vehicle sales drop...and vise versa when gas prices rise...

If saving money is the objective...the Prius fails. Offhand, I have seen Mirages (37/44MPG) advertised for $11K. $5800 buys LOTS of gas.

Not true.

A Prius C beats that junk Mitsubishi in city by 16+ MPG, and highwy by 12+ MPG.

Additionally, the Prius line is the most dependable cars made in the world, and history of cars.

For another $6,000 the smarter set would bypass the inferior Mitsubishi and go for the Toyota.

Mitsubishi has a HORRIBLE repulation for quality, and reliability in the USA, and the world.

Describe in detail YOUR bad experience with Mitsubishi. Be specific.

And again: $5800 buys a LOT of gas!

Describe, in detail, the major points of a college statistics class curriculum.

Take statistics, and you too will see how silly it is to judge a car by 1 user experience.

Mitsubishis are junk, and that is why they sell THE LEAST number of Japanese cars in America. Mitsubishi has been in the USA market for many decades, yet they have not been able to provide the quality required for sales to take off.

Your love for Mitsubishi is emotion, and not based on facts.

Sure, have (or rent) a big truck when you need it. Don't drive it everyday when its not needed. Although some people like to look cool and/or make up for something.

Right tool for the job. The Pious drivers just use more reasoning vs emotion when choosing what their daily driver should be.

But hey, "its a free country", so I know you have your right to drive a gas gassler, support the middle east (this was true for decades, shale oil has changed it now), put more pollutants in the air we all breathe, etc. Some people think about what their actions will do to others and the environment. Some think about it, then say "f&ck it".
34.gif

Imagining you or anyone else knows why we drive what we do is hilarious, and yet another example of the "pious" mindset. Imagining that choosing a pious somehow makes you more of a "reasoning" person is another great example. No thread is complete without the hybrid owners expressing their superiority over the lesser folks.

I do know why most Americans drive gas sucking vehicles. I know because I studied statistics back in college.

Americans drive big gas sucking trucks and V8 cars USUALLY because it is fashion for them. They do not care about the environment. They do not care about the earth. They are not as smart and wise as hybrid drivers.

All Hybrid models fill ALL gaps in the market accept those gaps that deal with towing heavy louds, and commercial applications.

It has been shown scientifically, that the more a person cares about the earth and evironment, the more likely they are intelligent, less likely to smoke cigs, abuse alcohol, and be over weight. Hybrid drivers are also more likely to have advanced degrees, and be upper middle class or better.

The dumbest are those that drive Dodge Chargers, with the big 21" rims.

Study demographics and you will see this too.

Mitsubishis are junk, and that is why they sell THE LEAST number of Japanese cars in America.

www.truedelta.com

The results on Truedelta don't back up the Junk claims. In fact, Mitsubishi seems to be universally more reliable than, say, Chevy, or Ford.

On the other hand, some Mitsu cars do appear "cheap" and for that reason, I avoid them.

When I've rented them, I've always been pleased with how they drive. Much like any other Japanese car. Better than Kia or Hyundai.

I do know why most Americans drive gas sucking vehicles. I know because I studied statistics back in college.

Americans drive big gas sucking trucks and V8 cars USUALLY because it is fashion for them.

I drive larger vehicles because they are comfortable and capable on long trips. I had a 2006 Jetta TDI for a while and it was a cram-fest on interstate trips. After about 10 hours, it really became way, way, way too small. 42MPG or not, I'm 220 pounds and about 6 feet tall. There is simply no room for me anywhere but the passenger side, with the seat all the way back. And the kids then have no room.

Plus luggage space is problematic too in small cars. I absolutely can't stand being crammed on cross country trips. Heck, I'd rather be on Amtrak than drive a small car on a long trip.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Americans drive big gas sucking trucks and V8 cars USUALLY because it is fashion for them.

I drive larger vehicles because they are comfortable and capable on long trips. I had a 2006 Jetta TDI for a while and it was a cram-fest on interstate trips. After about 10 hours, it really became way, way, way too small. 42MPG or not, I'm 220 pounds and about 6 feet tall. There is simply no room for me anywhere but the passenger side, with the seat all the way back. And the kids then have no room.

Plus luggage space is problematic too in small cars. I absolutely can't stand being crammed on cross country trips. Heck, I'd rather be on Amtrak than drive a small car on a long trip.

How many long trips do you make in a year? If it's once or twice, then you fit into the same category of those who buy gas hogging F-350s because they need to tow their 5th wheel once or twice a year, and then they use that same vehicle for every day driving...in other words, a huge waste...

34.gif

Americans drive big gas sucking trucks and V8 cars USUALLY because it is fashion for them. They do not care about the environment. They do not care about the earth. They are not as smart and wise as hybrid drivers.

All Hybrid models fill ALL gaps in the market accept those gaps that deal with towing heavy louds, and commercial applications.

It has been shown scientifically, that the more a person cares about the earth and evironment, the more likely they are intelligent, less likely to smoke cigs, abuse alcohol, and be over weight. Hybrid drivers are also more likely to have advanced degrees, and be upper middle class or better.

The dumbest are those that drive Dodge Chargers, with the big 21" rims.

Study demographics and you will see this too.

I agree

Ah yes; the pious and self-righteous platitudes of the True Green Believers- and if you think they are annoying and arrogant on an internet forum, you should have to endure the experience of meeting one in person...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Ah yes; the pious and self-righteous platitudes of the True Green Believers- and if you think they are annoying and arrogant on an internet forum, you should have to endure the experience of meeting one in person...

Yep, the smart folks who will save us from ourselves are here. Bravo.

They embarrass themselves with their pious dribble. Especially the [censored] about how intelligent they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back