Nissan Versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miller, have you figured out the fuel injector on this Nissan Versa HD16RE? All I can find is that it uses two injectors per cylinder, but not how it does. I presume not DI, but if so, then what kind of injector setup is it?

Originally Posted By: supton
Miller, have you figured out the fuel injector on this Nissan Versa HD16RE? All I can find is that it uses two injectors per cylinder, but not how it does. I presume not DI, but if so, then what kind of injector setup is it?

It apparently just has two injectors at a different angle. Their wording makes it seem like it is DI ("directly injects into the cylinder") but it's just port injection with 8 smaller injectors.

That was a hangup for me for a while. I was concerned the dual injection on the Versa and Note was direct injection; direct injection with port injectors to clean the valves.

Ah thanks, hr vs hd, and the link Hokieyd. explains why they did that.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
The difference between a sub compact and a compact is about $3000 when they're on sale. You get a lot more with the civic or corolla including resale.

But there is a lot more to go wrong with the higher featured cars. Will they go wrong? Probably not. But if one is buying for resale ... they'd be best not going with a new car and taking the depreciation hit.

Civic, Corolla....Something go wrong? Higher featured?

The Civic and corolla have significantly more electronics and doo-dads. Power windows and locks, for one. Friend of mine had a loaner 2014 civic - in addition to have electronic HVAC (the knobs were just sensors) , it had 3 LCD displays in it. It probably won't go bad - but it's always there to go wrong.

Yep, and... My Camry has electric windows, auto up/down. They work. But if you ask me, they pale in comparison to the ones on my Jetta. On the Jetta, to cancel the auto I can push the button in either direction; on the Camry I have to use only the opposite direction. On the Jetta it stops precisely when I hit cancel, on the Camry it overshoots a bit. Just feels... inferior. On my truck it lacks auto up, and I do not notice the same lack of precision go figure; and if it was manual windows then no issues whatsoever. Simply precise by virtue of being less.

Same goes for every other control. Yes, modern stuff has been more reliable, but have to admit, mechanical has always been easier to wrench than electrics. And if it was poorly designed to meet a price point, it often feels cheaper than... the cheaper less desirable version. Quality over quantity.

Back on topic. I found that the earlier years for Versa, like 08-11 or so are under investigation for breaking front coil springs which can puncture the tire. Perusing a Versa forum indicates that it may not be limited to just those years, and it is not a high milage thing, and not a rust issue either. Sounds like a poor design of some sort. A bit of reading also indicates Nissan might have some rust issues, especially with some emblem on the trunk (might not be a Versa issue) which brings up overall quality concerns, I did think the three year old 32kmile Versa I drove had a high level of rust under it, given the age.

Food for thought. Makes me think more about how some things are built to a price point.

Have a trip to take today, not too long, but will do a good four hours total today. Wife said I could take the Camry, but I elected to take the truck. 20mpg vs 30. [Jetta lacks ac, and I don't dare turn on heat either at the moment so it was left home.
frown.gif
] so far I have to admit the truck is a comfortable--and quiet--drive...

Last edited:
What other vehicles have you looked at? The Fiesta 1.0L would be a lot more fun to drive ... just a smaller interior. And it seems to be a quality vehicle*

*Most quality "problems" on the fiesta are from those who lack the mental capacity to operate a touch screen radio and don't understand that the automatic transmission is an automated manual.

Haven't looked much further. Drove a couple Yarii a year ago; I wanted a sedan. The two door hatch wasn't bad, but no four doors was a deal killer; and I am 99% sure I don't want an auto, even if its a Toyota so that rules out the four door hatch. And everyone says you get more elsewhere. Decent used Yaris are still $10k with 100k on the clock, and they will be in need of struts, wheel bearings, exhaust, whatever all the sooner than new.

Honestly, I was looking at Versa under the notion of reliable wheels for less than $10k. Jetta might make this year with less than a grand in repairs (but who knows), but next year is TB and cam, and since I wont feel comfortable doing that, it is a $2k job. Plus whatever else it may break--so, if I could sell it for a grand or two, and slide into a $10k car today... while not putting miles onto my "good" vehicle...

Looking at new for $15-20k, sure it is a good idea but not really, I think I would be better running the truck until it needs replacing, and then get a crossover with better mpg. Once my most unreliable vehicle is gone (Jetta) I should not need a spare vehicle for a year or maybe even two.

I could try to find a cheap runabout to take miles off my truck, but that is what my Jetta is--and replacing it with an unknown really does not make sense. Might be fun to get something to mess with, sure; but in a financial sense, not really.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What other vehicles have you looked at? The Fiesta 1.0L would be a lot more fun to drive ... just a smaller interior. And it seems to be a quality vehicle*

*Most quality "problems" on the fiesta are from those who lack the mental capacity to operate a touch screen radio and don't understand that the automatic transmission is an automated manual.

OK so Fiestas are reliable even tho their doo-daddery is cumbersome (and technology!) to operate? So Ford with technology is OK but Honda and Toyota is not?

I wasn't comparing the Fiesta to the Civic or Toyota, saying that it was any more or less reliable. Just stating that it has received an unfair, poor reputation.

Had a Nissan Versa Note as a rental last week with around 6k on odo. Can't decide if just a ok vehicle. Wasn't as wide as the Focus so handled differently but no different than Festiva/Aspire's. The CVT took some getting used to. Above 3k it downshift or something suddenly. At least it didn't try to kill me at lights like the Jeep Compass did. Besides the CVT nothing else to complain about. No rattles and like the simple dash compared to the Mazda I rented a few years ago, every knob was where it should of been. Liked the armrest not built into the center console. Average by the dash calculator was 26mpg but didn't drive even to fill it up and most driving was around town. If I had more time to adjust mileage would of been better.

Mostly rented it because it was a hatchback and a rented bike fit perfect. Like the aqua color as well. If the mechanicals are deemed reliable, don't follow cars like I used to, I'd buy one. Seems like a good cheap car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back