Garbage undersink disposals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
If you think your garbage stinks, it will pale in comparison to gray/black water drainage issues..better hope you don't have those.

The disposer is there to prevent those problems. And it does. Even with the fact we have a lift pump system since we're below the nearest city sewer main. One pump failure since the system was put in in the 80s, and preemptively replaced a pump again last year.

I would hate a city that wasted my tax money on more than 1x/week garbage pickup! We rarely fill the bin half full even in a week since most everything gets recycled... and the food waste goes down the disposer.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hahaha, yep. I guess Illinois is just the standard by which all public services must be measured!
My inadequate public services include garbage pickup twice a week. Still, somehow garbage manages to stink.

The disposal gets a lot of use here as well...

At Publix I always take extra plastic bags for trash, then double bag all trash that goes in garbage can. Having a Schnauzer and German Shepherd eliminates 99% of any food that would of been thrown away.

Zero need for any sink disposal unit.

The key is to run the water for awhile after running it, too many shut everything down right away leaving potential gunk to sit in the lateral somewhere

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
If you think your garbage stinks, it will pale in comparison to gray/black water drainage issues..better hope you don't have those.

Haha, been there and done that before. Would never wish that on anyone!

As stated above the disposal actually helps prevent that by macerating the debris into small pieces that are easily carried downstream.

Our home is a 1/2 basement style so we have a lift station for all the downstairs plumbing as well...

Originally Posted By: Kory
The key is to run the water for awhile after running it, too many shut everything down right away leaving potential gunk to sit in the lateral somewhere

There was an article a while back that talked about disposers. In it they showed how general food particles do not clog drains, in fact the bits help to keep it flowing. They went on to show that the real culprit was grease, that clogged drains every time.

Thank you for the interesting discussion concerning my "Food Disposal" unit. I probably us it twice a week for left over salads and soft stuff. Garbage pick up is once a week so I prefer a "Food Disposal" unit. I found the model and will purchase a replacement if I can't fix the present one. Thank you all, for your kind thoughts and advice. Have a great day always. Ed

All the disposals I've used have had a flange that mounts to the sink, and then the disposal attaches by mating up with the glange and twisting a quarter turn.

The wiring is really simple, if undersized in the kits from the vendor.

We have an air switch, which is safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back