Higher oil consumption with Valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking through my maintenance records it seems like my car uses more oil when I use Valvoline white bottle and or Valvoline synpower. I think it's through the valve seals as I see an occasion puff of blue smoke on start up.
Anyone else noticed this with Valvoline products?

Nope... when I used Valvoline products on my Acura when I had it, it consumed no more than other oils I'd used. When I first got the car, it consumed nothing. Towards the time I sold it, it would consume a half of a quart every 5k. It did this consistently with every brand.

When I use Valvoline dino in my truck it gobbles it up, 1 1/2 qts in 3500 miles. Impala was about 1/2 qt in 3,000 miles. In my last truck (06) Silverado with 5.3 v8 I used Valvoline White bottle a lot and had 0 consumption.

My silverado will use 1 qt every 8k miles on synpower. The usage is because the engine has AFM not the oil

My armada doesn't use any synpower in 8-10k miles. That engine has never used oil on any brand i've tried.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
My silverado will use 1 qt every 8k miles on synpower. The usage is because the engine has AFM not the oil

My armada doesn't use any synpower in 8-10k miles. That engine has never used oil on any brand i've tried.

Your right it is because of the AFM, but it is elevated quite a bit with Valvoline over Sopus oils I have used in this one. Just a observation

Nope. I've used several types of Valvoline (and occasionally other brands) across my small fleet (~8 vehicles). None of them burned a drop, including my SS. Two of my family members' cars leak oil, but leaked massively before I ever got my hands on them. The leaks are slowing. My two get Synpower exclusively. Call me biased, but I love the \/
thumbsup2.gif

I've noticed the opposite. My Buick 3.8 with 255,000 miles was using a quart per 1500 miles with m1. Switched to maxlife full syn and now I'm at 1qt per 3500 miles. Been very pleased with Valvoline.

On my impala I'm currently using valvoline full syn and ive got 3k on the oil and haven't lost any so far. The oil changes before were all mobil1 full syn and i added about 1/2Q by now.

Does not matter what I use. Since new my truck has used a quart of oil between oil changes, which is once per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back