Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
What tear?
laugh.gif

This sort of problem doesnt exist.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
There is no way that those that are pumping the classics so hard, in contradiction to the overwhelming evidence, would post a torn classic if they came across one. They simply have too much invested to collapse their house of cards.

So true ... it would be the ultimate example of "eating crow".

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Just remember the jk_636 credo: The only thing wrong with making a bad product, is too many people report the problem. The people are the problem.

Dang, I think you're spot on there.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
The only problem for you and those alike is that I haven't ever had a bad one, so every couple months you are left trying to defend or attack or scramble to explain why my pure ones and puro syns are always looking good and tear free.

You do realize that over 60 guys have had a bad one or two - just on this chat board alone, think about that. Just because you didn't have one doesn't mean 60+ others were nullified and the issue isn't valid. That's how you come across on this issue - "if it didn't happen to you, it didn't happen and isn't gonna happen ever again".

I’ve been cutting open my used oil filters for over 10 years. That represents at least 80 oil filters. Most have been made by Purolator (Mobil1, K&N, Motorcraft, Mopar, and Purolator). But among those cut open over that time period, there are several made by the old Champion Labs, several Wix, and some Fram.

The Bosch (Purolator) of the OP is the first or second Purolator I’ve had with failed media. I’ve also had a few of the early eCores with torn/loose endcaps. I’ve had at least one or two Fram ExtraGuards with lousy ADBVs that caused start-up noise. I’ve also had one Champion Labs (M1) filter that caused start-up noise. I’ve had no issues with Wix filters (most were used on my 27hp Kohler equipped mower). Nor have I had any issues with the two or so Fram Ultras I’ve used.

At this point, I’m using Motorcraft, Wix, Pure1, Fram Ultra, and Mobil1. I’m currently avoiding Bosch Premium, Fram XG or TG, Purolator Classic, any any eCore. I will continue to watch the cut-open filters here and continue cutting my own open, and evaluate my results of what I’m using.

I wonder how much the application environment may be contributing to the media failures. We had a colder-than-normal winter (for Ohio), with many nights below 0F, several below -10F, and a few below -20F. The OP filter saw all of that this past winter with 5W30 PP in my Sierra. And the Sierra does accumulate some moisture in the engine (which I see on the inside of the oil fill cap) during the winter months.

It was also mentioned that E10 fuel may be a contributor as well. In the tracking of filter failures, is the fuel type and/or environment (temperature/geographic location/season) being tracked?

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
I’ve been cutting open my used oil filters for over 10 years. That represents at least 80 oil filters. Most have been made by Purolator (Mobil1, K&N, Motorcraft, Mopar, and Purolator). But among those cut open over that time period, there are several made by the old Champion Labs, several Wix, and some Fram.

The Bosch (Purolator) of the OP is the first or second Purolator I’ve had with failed media. I’ve also had a few of the early eCores with torn/loose endcaps. I’ve had at least one or two Fram ExtraGuards with lousy ADBVs that caused start-up noise. I’ve also had one Champion Labs (M1) filter that caused start-up noise. I’ve had no issues with Wix filters (most were used on my 27hp Kohler equipped mower). Nor have I had any issues with the two or so Fram Ultras I’ve used.

At this point, I’m using Motorcraft, Wix, Pure1, Fram Ultra, and Mobil1. I’m currently avoiding Bosch Premium, Fram XG or TG, Purolator Classic, any any eCore. I will continue to watch the cut-open filters here and continue cutting my own open, and evaluate my results of what I’m using.

I wonder how much the application environment may be contributing to the media failures. We had a colder-than-normal winter (for Ohio), with many nights below 0F, several below -10F, and a few below -20F. The OP filter saw all of that this past winter with 5W30 PP in my Sierra. And the Sierra does accumulate some moisture in the engine (which I see on the inside of the oil fill cap) during the winter months.

It was also mentioned that E10 fuel may be a contributor as well. In the tracking of filter failures, is the fuel type and/or environment (temperature/geographic location/season) being tracked?

Using the P1, but avoiding the Bosch Premium is like like avoiding the Silverado, but wanting to buy a Sierra.

Perhaps. But I haven't had any P1 failures among the dozen or so I've used and cut open. And the last time I compared them a few years back, the media was different. They may be the same now. I'll soon find out since a P1 went on after the Bosch came off.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Perhaps. But I haven't had any P1 failures among the dozen or so I've used and cut open. And the last time I compared them a few years back, the media was different. They may be the same now. I'll soon find out since a P1 went on after the Bosch came off.

I had two in a row. P1 appear to fail as much if not more than the Classics.

Interesting. If I had two in a row, I'd sure avoid them.

I seemed to have a bit more start-up noise with the P1 during past winters, so I stopped using them in the winter on my Sierra (though I never saw any tears after cutting them open). Used a few Fram Ultras since then (both winter and summer). No problems noted with them.

I'll be cutting open the P1 around August 1st. If I remember, I'll post the results here (good or bad). Haven't bought the next filter for the Sierra yet. Most likely it will be a Napa Gold or Fram Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back