Engine cleaner....now blowing smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a while back about the 94 Dodge 3.9 motor with the nasty, dirty oil change. The oil was thick and smelly.

After two oil changes (250 mile intervals) with Farm&Fleet SAE 30 it blows smoke upon start up. Parked pointing downhill and seems to blow more smoke.

I guess the lack of oil changes plugged a stem issue?

Well you have no idea how old the oil in there was, it may have had oxidative thickening. Some of the fresh oil is probably slipping past the valve stem seals. Is is consuming a lot of oil? If you are not adding a lot , i would not worry. Valve stem seals are not that hard to change if you are mechanically inclined.
You could try a high mileage oil like maxlife or even supertech in that engine and see if it helps.

I recall the original "dirty" thread. Something could be plugged, or it simply might need some more time and cleaning.

As long as your oil pressure is good I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
^^^ agree on all ^^^

keep doing it, consider changing to a high mileage oil (or not).

I would pull the valve covers and clean/scrape/vacuum any debris you find--- that will accomplish in three hours what chem cleaners can't do in 3 years.

startup smoke is not a big deal at all.

Take the strait 30 out of there and put a good high mileage oil in maybe a 10w40 hm to start with. you want the extra cleaning agents that the 30 may not have

The oil pressure gauge reads good oil pressure, cold idle, and hot idle. My old 91 4.3 blew the smoke, so I am not worried.

I have PYB SAE30 and PYB SAE40 as well as Valvoline 20w-50 all were .99 cent AZ oil.

I will use one of those next oil change.

I have a 200 mile mixed speed road trip coming up...should help clean it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back