Local Brand from Korea - Solar 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ...

I was at the business trip last month to Korea and meet a car enthusiasm person ( my Korean colleague) and he introduced me a local engine oil solar 5W-40 performance oil. Claiming new local product and popular at the market.

I was dare to try at my Kia Forte K3.. So put up a oil analysis back at singapore and got some astonishing results...

Seems very low in magnesium , Zinc, calcium, Molybdenum and super low sulfated ash.

Do share your thought about this oil..

Oil Grade - 5W-40

Viscosity @ 40 - 90.85
Viscosity @ 100 - 14.0
Viscosity Index - 159
Flash Point - 200
Base Number - 5.8
Sulfated Ash - Sulphur - 0.0060
Iron - Chromium - Molybdenum - Lead - Silver - Tin - Silicon - Vanadium - 3
Magnesium - Soduim - Magnesium - Phosphorus - Zinc - 3
Calcium - Barium -

Last edited:
Just wondering how they claim this oil as good at Korea...

Does the metal contents does makes a diff?? its kind of <1 or even zero..

This sounds like something the PQIA would jump all over on in the United States. If this VOA is even remotely correct, this oil does not meet any modern API or ACEA or builder specifications whatsoever.

I can't comment on that lab, and we do know labs make mistakes, but, like I said, if this test was done even remotely correctly, this oil is seriously poor. Are there any API markings on the jug? If so, one can go to the API site and see if the product is actually licensed.

The base number is 5.8 but no visible additives of calcium, magnesium or sodium. Very confusing. It looks like a real oil based on kinematic viscosity and Flashpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back