best 0w-20 for my 15 forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
we just got a 2015 Forester and it's coming up on its first oil change. my girlfriends the one that drives it and she does 85% highway with 15% city mileage.if I can't find an oem filter I'm going to go with a Wix.

It takes 0w-20 and has a 6000 mi oci what's a good oil for it? These engines have a history of oil consumption that is like to avoid. I under stand that a 6k oci is relatively short, but I have to run it through 36k.

For 6,000 mile OCIs to avoid warranty concerns, the brand won't matter much. I've been buying NAPA house brand when it's on sale; it's similar to Valvoline Synpower.

If you're not burning oil now, the brand of 0w-20 won't increase consumption. Pick something that's on sale or easy to obtain. There's a current $12 rebate on Mobil 1 if that works for you.

I've run a bit of everything in my 2014 Forester.The SOPUS (QSUD,Penzoil) seems the quietest. I'm over 40k also doing 6k oci and so far no consumption issues.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
we just got a 2015 Forester and it's coming up on its first oil change. my girlfriends the one that drives it and she does 85% highway with 15% city mileage.if I can't find an oem filter I'm going to go with a Wix.

It takes 0w-20 and has a 6000 mi oci what's a good oil for it? These engines have a history of oil consumption that is like to avoid. I under stand that a 6k oci is relatively short, but I have to run it through 36k.

I changed the oil in mine at 2291 using PP 0W20 and a M1 filter. Its one of the easiest vehicles to change oil on that I have encountered.

The oil consumption is largely attributed to those with a manual transmission. And I think they changed the ring design or manufacturer.

In my opinion, the whole oil consumption issue is largely exaggerated. My family has four FB-series motors and none of them consume any oil(including my 2012 Impreza which is in the "bad" VIN range). I also rented an FB powered Subaru for a 2900 mile road trip and it did not consume any oil according to the dipstick.

According to one forum that I was on a while back, one issue that people were having was that even though the manual specified 5.3 quarts their oil change place was only putting in 5 quarts. So after a couple thousand miles this guy checked his dipstick after seeing it down by an inch he started panicking. He brought it to the dealer and got them to do an oil consumption test. His car was found to be consuming a negligible amount over the 1200 mile test and he later mentioned that the dipstick was down by a quarter inch or less over a 6.5K interval. That person admitted that he had overreacted because of the multitude of internet "experts" that attested that Subaru FB motors are flawed.

The issue isn't exaggerated if you own one. Using 0w-20, my Forester burns a quart of oil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. I've decreased that to 5,500 miles by using a thicker oil with MoS2.

I've uploaded UOAs using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 as well as my custom blend for 7,500 miles.

Any uoa's on your '14 forester by chance?

No with the short oci and no problems,I haven't felt the need. Get a Quikvalve and it's the easiest oil change you'll ever do.

Last edited:
I under stand that a 6k oci is relatively short, but I have to run it through 36k.

If you're inferring that you'll start a longer OCI after your warranty expires, keep in mind that the bumper to bumper warranty is 3/36 but the powertrain warranty is 5 years/60k miles.
smile.gif

Congrats on the car. I'm waiting for a Forester STI (or at least tuned by STI) before I upgrade. Might be waiting a long time.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
I've used the following 0W20 and 5W20 full synthetics and my butt and foot meter say choose any of these listed in order of my favorites (drum roll please):

1. Mobil 1 EP 0W20 (very good UOA with Liqui Moly Ceratec added posted on the UOA forum here)
2. Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 (probably going to be my summer fill or maybe a 0w30 M1)
3. Mobil 1 AWE 0W20
4. Idemitsu Factory Fill 0W20 (3 free oil changes from dealer with my 2014 purchase, still have 1 or 2 left)
5. Castrol 0W20 -- wasn't impressed, although I liked Castrol in several other weights in other cars.

I may also try QSUD Full Synthetic since others have had good results.

All of these are available at your local Walmart, Autozone, or dealer etc. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
Here is the link to the post and thread on the UOA forum:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3701415/Mobil_1_0W20_EP/Ceratec_add,_6#Post3701415

I could not post the actual report b/c I don't know how to simply attach and upload a pdf, tiff or jpeg on this forum.

I was able to post the actual Blackstone report on the XV Crosstrek forum at:

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/engin...atec-added.html

But, you may need to join to open and read the report.

Keep in mind I added the Liqui Moly Ceratec as well and it is reflected in the UOA results (higher moly and boron).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I under stand that a 6k oci is relatively short, but I have to run it through 36k.

If you're inferring that you'll start a longer OCI after your warranty expires, keep in mind that the bumper to bumper warranty is 3/36 but the powertrain warranty is 5 years/60k miles.
smile.gif

Congrats on the car. I'm waiting for a Forester STI (or at least tuned by STI) before I upgrade. Might be waiting a long time.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Heck, I'd be thrilled just to see the XT offered with a manual transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back