HR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think I still would rather have a wagon, if I was looking just for a 2wd CUV though. It would be an interesting comparison to see how the new golf wagon matches up to all the CUVs.

Same here. Golf Wagen has 66.5 cu ft of cargo space and a nice interior. 25/36 mpg gasoline, 31/43 diesel.

...and, you get modern VW reliability and resale value.
None and minimal.

I do have to admit I didn't even test drive a VW wagon when I bought the Focus a couple years ago. I picked it for comparison as its the only compact wagon left in N.A.

Given massive popularity of the CRV and Pilot locally I don't see how Honda cannot sell another CUV/SUV well here. FIT also is popular.

It reminds me of CrossTrek popular with older folks too.

I like the 6 speed manual option, but I was really hoping for something better than the lackluster 1.8 civic engine. Would've been perfect with k24/6speed combo that's in the current Accord Sport.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think I still would rather have a wagon, if I was looking just for a 2wd CUV though. It would be an interesting comparison to see how the new golf wagon matches up to all the CUVs.

Same here. Golf Wagen has 66.5 cu ft of cargo space and a nice interior. 25/36 mpg gasoline, 31/43 diesel.

...and, you get modern VW reliability and resale value.
None and minimal.

Reliability remains to be seen. But yes, these things certainly need to be factored into one's purchasing decision. If all you care about is reliability and resale value, there certainly is no reason to look at a VW.

Well, I guess you have to factor in the myth that VWs are better to drive than are Hondas or Toyotas. I've had many Hondas and have driven various modern VWs, and I'd have to say that there is no advantage in a VW.

Depends who you ask. My wife prefers her Camry, I prefer my Jetta. Clutch is not vague, steering is not over boosted, the car does not wander if I look away from the road. No stupid throttle tip in. Cruise control buttons in a decent place. Better auto up/down on the windows. Actual torque response. No smelly fuel. Longer cruising range. My truck takes a double whammy on top of all that being an auto, but that is a different story.

Well, I guess you have to factor in the myth that VWs are better to drive than are Hondas or Toyotas.

I guess each buyer will just have to decide for themselves. I haven't driven the latest offerings from either Honda or Toyota, but the ones from the previous decade were very vague when it came to handling / steering response. I would gladly take the risk of lower expected reliability just so that I did not have to put up with that lack of feel for the road. The latest GTI handles very well, but I'm guessing the regular Golf/Wagen doesn't have the same suspension tuning.

Then there is the whole definition of "better to drive" which can be interpreted in a number of ways. For some, this means couch on wheels and complete isolation from the road. Different strokes...

Having driven both, I'd have to say that there's a decided difference between Hondas and Toyotas. Our Honda SUVs drive more responsively than any of our Toyota cars did. That said, "better" is extremely subjective, as Quattro Pete said, so I try to stay away from that word and use descriptors, like "responsive", "smooth", "firm", etc. I think everyone would agree that a Crown Victoria has a softer ride than an Accord. Better? Some will differ on that.

As to how a VW drives compared to a Honda or a Toyota? I'm sure that it's much closer to the big H than the big T.

I generally really like Honda vehicles.

But, I also like many others...just not as often.

One thing I wish Honda would do because I think it's the one drawback of most models....is the road noise.

I like lower noise levels and dread hearing every rough stretch of pavement as well as feeling it.

Honda, in my opinion, needs to add far more noise insulation and a bit more comfortable ride in the non-sporty models.

Mazda unfortunately have a road noise issue too,at least in the just superceded 2 and 3. Haven't driven the 2015 models yet,hopefully they've improved.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
One thing I wish Honda would do because I think it's the one drawback of most models....is the road noise.

I like lower noise levels and dread hearing every rough stretch of pavement as well as feeling it.

Honda, in my opinion, needs to add far more noise insulation and a bit more comfortable ride in the non-sporty models.

Comparing Honda with Toyota, Honda is more driving oriented and Toyota is more soft/quiet ride.

If someone like quiet cabin then Toyota is a better choice, if someone like driving then Honda is the one(of the two) he/she should buy.

With the HR-V, Honda seems to be taking aim at Mazda by copying many of Mazda's successful design elements.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I like the look of the car, but it sounds like it doesn't have near enough power, and fuel economy should be higher. Also it's a CVT
37.gif
unless you want to row through 6 gears in traffic (I don't).

I actually don't mind the CVT in my Mitsubishi anymore, besides the noise.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
With the HR-V, Honda seems to be taking aim at Mazda by copying many of Mazda's successful design elements.

The HRV has been around for a long while I remember riding in one in maybe 2001 while in Japan for work.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

The HRV has been around for a long while I remember riding in one in maybe 2001 while in Japan for work.

I was talking about the design of the current and not of any previous model.

But adding in reliability unlike Mazda.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back