Anyone replace heater hoses just because?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having to replace a pair of heater hoses on a coworkers 01 Jeep GC 4.0L after one burst on the freeway I'd figured out I'd replace them in my 02 Chevy Silverado. I was planning to just replace the plastic heater core quick connect fittings since they are prone to breaking but since I'm in there I will replace both the hoses and replace the ugly looking coolant reservoir too. The hoses look good from the outside but I'm worried if the interior of the hoses are starting to go bad since the cooling system has never been service by the original owner.

Last edited:
When I buy used vehicles (especially if they are 10+ years old), I replace every single coolant hose on it just because I don't want to sit on the side of the road and I know exactly what I've got under the hood. No surprises = a good thing.

Yes, I replace all hoses on any used car I purchase over six years old. Burst hose= overheating= warped head/blown head gasket.

I once replaced all hoses and the heater core on old Achieva I used as a work car. The heater cores had plastic tubes prone to rupture and the car had the infamous Quad 4 which could likely become scrap if it were overheated.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
When I buy used vehicles (especially if they are 10+ years old), I replace every single coolant hose on it just because I don't want to sit on the side of the road and I know exactly what I've got under the hood. No surprises = a good thing.

+2

Hello, To the OP: Apparently the answer is NO.

You asked, "Anyone replace heater hoses just because?". Nobody has.
They changed them because they were old.

"How old?" or "When should we?" is the question.

Nothin' looked better than the new hoses in my sister's '99 XJ. Kira

On the questions "how old" or "when should we"

How old is old enough? For me, it's when the ends of the hoses start to swell.

When should we? The only definite answer to that is "before they split"

I infer that "just because" means replacing hoses at part of preventive maintenance. Sure, some folks do.

Next time I change coolant, I'll change out the hoses and thermostat. That will be at 350k miles on my vehicles if I still have them.

I inspect the hoses frequently and they seem fine.

I try to, but keep in mind to be extra careful especially on the heater core end. the heater core tube can be plastic and shatter when removing the hose.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie

Same here. I also replace them on my own vehicles at around 100k miles.

No, I trade my cars at 200,000 miles. Never had one go bad. But I do inspect them and do replace coolant at 50,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back