get oil filter off volvo 245

Status
Not open for further replies.
recently bought 92 245 volvo, should have looked closer. finally got oil drain loose, tried to get china generic no flute oil filter off, damaged in process, cap type filter wrench does not fit on because no flutes to grip. Stabbed with screwdriver, bent screwdriver, tin can now damaged. Next move? Thanks!

Bent the screwdriver! [censored], you need some better tools. Above advise is good, there is always a way.

On my 245, which was turbo, things were very tight around the filter. I used a filter wrench, the metal strap kind. No room for anything else.

I use to own a Volvo 850, the filter was a pain to remove. It was very easy to get to just very very limited space..

Worst comes to worst (and I do mean worst) hammer a screw driver threw the filter and remover it like that. Iv had to do it a handful of times in the past 30 years when nothing else seemed to work.

Second option would be to take a screwdriver to the filters seal and bust it spray in some on blaster and give it 30 mins if you have to.

Best of luck!

Originally Posted By: expat
Hammer and chisel on the rim.

Cut a slot in the rim with a dremel...then hammer & chisel lightly

How did you make out with this? All I have ever used on my '91 740 B230F (same engine as your 240) is a strap type filter wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back