This is what I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of normal vehicles.

Sound check. My parents are buying a new Rav4, I was forced to go to the dealer. My god I hate those vehicles.

I still don't get the draw and I have said this to my dad. I would rather drive my outgoing 2005 Silverado to FL than a 2015 Rav.

Last edited:
2jzswapwithnas.jpg

I admit I would have no use for a Rav 4, but why the hate?

Have you had a bad experience with one?

I am guessing your parents are roughly Baby Boomer age? Boomers love Rav4s. There is something about that vehicle that is immensely appealing to many of them. My parents were looking at them too, but decided on a pickup instead.

Do your parents like 2005ish Silverados? Find them a clean SS or Denali with no modifications, and don't mention the 6.0 and all that. They might buy it just because it's clean and quiet and you will save them from Boomer Rav4dom.

Originally Posted By: expat
I admit I would have no use for a Rav 4, but why the hate?

Have you had a bad experience with one?
Rav 4 owner pulled me out of a snowbank this winter. I suppose it wasn't "keul" that it was not German.

It's called and SUV. Before 1980 they were called station wagons.

In the UK they not only drive on the wrong side of the road but they call them estates.

Your parents will appear to be a lot smarter when you grow older.

Hmm...well...

The Gen 4 RAV is a small wagon. A 4 cyl FWD/AWD with 6 inches of ground clearance is not an SUV. We drove 450 miles on 2 stops X2 in ours with no complaints. Not a car you sit in the garage and admire but not exactly something to hate either. If your dad is letting you mom pick out a car she likes he's a smart man. Learn something.

Last edited:
CUV...crossover.Started with CRV/Forester and now everybody sells 2 or 3 of things.Glorified cars with high roofed wagon bodies.

I don't go through life hating anything. I must say that I don't find the appeal in drifting a ratted-out old SEC around corners as you do. But I don't hate it. I'm glad that sort of stuff brings you joy.

I hope you can find happiness in what brings your parents joy, too. I think that you'd feel lucky that you still have your parents (many don't) and that they feel highly enough of you to "force" you to go to the dealer with them.

Car shopping fever must be in the air. Coworker bought a convertible and a motorcycle; boss bought a BRZ. I want to shop too.

I prefer the plain jane look of the prior RAV though. But I bet the six speed auto is a better fit with the I4, and many prefer the liftgate (not me, though).

In the snow you could drive a RAV4 pretty much like the drift car, then go buy some furniture and put it in the back...
The CUVs aren't my favorite thing either, but they do a lot of things pretty well for many people.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Sound check. My parents are buying a new Rav4, I was forced to go to the dealer. My god I hate those vehicles.

I still don't get the draw and I have said this to my dad. I would rather drive my outgoing 2005 Silverado to FL than a 2015 Rav.

I completely understand. CUV's and SUV's in my mind are poorly designed and are really overpriced minivans.

Introducing the new 2016 Ford Compromise XLT!

And over here we have the shiny 2016 Chevy Regret LT!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I thank God there are choices. it's a glorious time to buy a new car.

Drive what you want, and allow everyone else to, too!

^^^This

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In the snow you could drive a RAV4 pretty much like the drift car, then go buy some furniture and put it in the back...
The CUVs aren't my favorite thing either, but they do a lot of things pretty well for many people.

Yeah, but if they are not the vehicle for you, you're supposed to mock them as being worthless for anyone else.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Before 1980 they were called station wagons

Yep that's what all of those kind've vehicles are,modern day station wagons. I just don't get where the term "SUV" came from,to sound less square and more hip maybe? Imo,a utility vehicle is a box truck or work truck.

Modern day station wagon that gets decent MPG and has available AWD. Also sits higher so people feel "safe".

It's no wonder the things sell well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back