What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: =SYN=
If this product supposedly lasts for 20K-30K miles? Why in gods name would you have to add it EVERY oil change... This would end up being some Very Expensive Oil Changes...

Isn't that the reason for most of these OTC's?

As far as the boron nitride shedding from the surfaces, the particles are in nano-meters size and float around in the oil until the oil change.

My M3 has an oil level sensor that measures oil in the oil pan. Oil level dropped after I drove the car for 300 or so miles after the oil change/Cera-Tec application. So I reached two conclusions

1.Cera-Tec does indeed keeps itself suspended, away from the oil pan, or else my oil sensor would read the same after merely 300miles or so of driving.

2.Oil filter caught everything (LOL) and also kept the Cera-Tec out of the oil pan.

3.My green GC stash from years ago drained my oil in spite of my complete switch to TGMO and M1.

Again, I'm merely reporting, not an advocate for LM products.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I just want to report my observation and experience with Cera-Tec with my M3.

I changed the oil in my M3, and added two cans of Cera-Tec. The digital oil gauge gave me a sharp decrease in oil level reading after 300 miles or so. I had to put in roughly 600ml more oil to bring the oil level back up to full.

Two possibilities:

1.Cera-Tec coated the internal of my engine hence the sharp decrease of oil level in 300~350mi.

2.Oil filter caught all the solids in the Cera-Tec formula and now it's toast.

As far as engine smoothness/operations, my M3 has always been very smooth. You can barely feel the V8 running at a stop light. My MPG is all over the place, definitely not economical, it's a freakin' truck!

At least now I know Cera-Tec will coat the engine internals as advertised.

How does coating the internals give a sharp decrease in the oil level? That would be a pretty thick coating clinging to the internals. How soon after you shut the engine did you notice this?

I would however cut open the filter and see if 600 ml of solids were caught, that would mean the product would not be advisable to use. Thanks for your report.

Last edited:
I did hear a few times, but have no visual evidence, a significant reduction in oil consumption after use a solid like lubricants. One of idea the oil ring finally released or have some degree of free movements so it started to do a job. But, nobody wish to break the engine to see what inside happens, they happy of result and don't wanna touch it.

As well, i thinking, at first coating does happen, we use a metallurgical microscope. it shows the surface do changed. But, of course coating itself is soft, it will replenish in time. And definitely not the case of sealing gap between the piston and the wall.

Restore - metal can, that has some copper, silver, something else do settle metals on parts. Read some experiments result, parts do increase weight in opposite to lost (due to wear), again due to soft metal working only in specific areas of engine.

My M3 has an oil level sensor that measures oil in the oil pan. Oil level dropped after I drove the car for 300 or so miles after the oil change/Cera-Tec application. So I reached two conclusions

1.Cera-Tec does indeed keeps itself suspended, away from the oil pan, or else my oil sensor would read the same after merely 300miles or so of driving.

2.Oil filter caught everything (LOL) and also kept the Cera-Tec out of the oil pan.

1. Sorry Leonardo, it won't stay away from the oil pan.

2. Sorry Leonardo, the oil filter will not filter out nano-sized particles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

+1

Something else has to be impacting the oil level.

+1

And this something else being? I've never experienced this drastic oil level drop before. Unless Cera-Tec coated my oil level sensor making it go AWOL.

Last edited:
The oil level dropped because the engine burned the oil. I know it is not something that anybody wants to hear but that is the simplest and most logical answer!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The oil level dropped because the engine burned the oil. I know it is not something that anybody wants to hear but that is the simplest and most logical answer!

This^^^^

+1

And this something else being? I've never experienced this drastic oil level drop before. Unless Cera-Tec coated my oil level sensor making it go AWOL.

I think Vikas nailed it.

People have really weird way of rationalizing some of the stuff and trying to come up with way complicated answers where simple stuff is staring at them.

But that is human nature; I don't like to hear bad news either.

Long time lurker - registered just to post here. Seriously.... this thread is unbelievable. I just waded through 20 pages of this non-nonsensical garbage - my engine is smoother, my MPG went up by 0.1, there's a coating on my cams, etc.

Not ONE UOA? How is this thread supposed to be taken seriously? Is this seriously how you guys determine if a product is effective or not? By sticking a finger in the air and using something as inaccurate as a MPG estimate? It's embarrassing, really.

I just put a bottle of Ceratec with a fresh oil change of M1 0W-40 in my C63 with the 6.2L AMG V8. It's tracked hard and frequently. I'll post a before UOA and after, just to give this useless thread some credibility...

Originally Posted By: BLKROKT
Long time lurker - registered just to post here. Seriously.... this thread is unbelievable. I just waded through 20 pages of this non-nonsensical garbage - my engine is smoother, my MPG went up by 0.1, there's a coating on my cams, etc.

Not ONE UOA? How is this thread supposed to be taken seriously? Is this seriously how you guys determine if a product is effective or not? By sticking a finger in the air and using something as inaccurate as a MPG estimate? It's embarrassing, really.

I just put a bottle of Ceratec with a fresh oil change of M1 0W-40 in my C63 with the 6.2L AMG V8. It's tracked hard and frequently. I'll post a before UOA and after, just to give this useless thread some credibility...

THANK YOU!
thumbsup2.gif

Lime Rock, NJ Motorsports Park, Pocono?? (Where do you open track this beast)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

THANK YOU!
thumbsup2.gif

Lime Rock, NJ Motorsports Park, Pocono?? (Where do you open track this beast)

No problem. I'm a big believer in hard data. Put a 300ml bottle in for about 8.5 quarts of M1 0W-40. I'm trying this because with the flat-tappet design of these engines, the lifters and cams tend to wear prematurely as the oil on cold starts doesn't get to them fast enough, and they bleed out quickly on shutdown. Minor design flaw, but makes some noise as the lifters wear. Have put about 300mi on the new oil, and it may be a bit quieter but difficult to tell really.

This was my first track season with the car, and I did Watkins Glen, Pocono, VIR, Palmer, and NJMP a few times. FBO about 600hp, it's a handful. On top of that, I drag race it quite a bit at Atco. It gets driven in anger frequently, exactly how it was meant to be.

Will be back with a UOA in the spring probably with the amount I drive. Got my Blackstone bottles in the mail this week - 1 for the oil that I took out, and 1 for this oil when it's done. This new oil probably won't have any trackdays on it, although it will have some 1/4 mile passes and general high-rpm hooning. The oil I took out had 2 or 3 trackdays on it, and maybe 3k miles.

Last edited:
I don't know why the CERATEC is needed. Their Mos2 is a [censored] fine product.

BLKROKT (I assume your C63 AMG BEAST is black)
smile.gif
- Thank you for summing up the first 20 pages for me. This Internet, it's... really something, sometimes.

Ever took that bad boy to Englishtown, if they still call it that ?

Originally Posted By: BLKROKT

What's the UOA going to show to indicate its effectiveness?

The only way to show it's effectiveness (and MoS2, graphite and other anti-wear products)) would be if you have a lot of UOA including TBN and there's a definite reduction in TBN loss. This is only going to work if the product itself doesn't contribute to TBN and you're using the same oil for a while to establish a base line.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The only way to show it's effectiveness (and MoS2, graphite and other anti-wear products)) would be if you have a lot of UOA including TBN and there's a definite reduction in TBN loss. This is only going to work if the product itself doesn't contribute to TBN and you're using the same oil for a while to establish a base line.

Even with that I don't know what kind of conclusion you could make.

Originally Posted By: BreakerBreaker
Ever took that bad boy to Englishtown, if they still call it that ?

Actually, Atco (N.J.) is the 'faster' (drag strip) track somewhat local to him.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back