Auto mechanic nightmare customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago I was looking at a nice, one owner early 90's Volvo RWD turbo sedan that was at a local Volvo dealership. The car was as spotless an impeccable inside as it was outside.

I got the repair and maint. records from when the car was new and noticed something funny. The owner actually had a complaint with the dash vents and requested that the Volvo service dept. re-align the dash vents. The owner actually paid for this service...totally blew me away that someone would be that OCD about something so insignificant

Originally Posted By: otis24
Idiots abound. Worse, they multiply!

Rapidly.

"I am stuck on stupid because stupid is stuck me."
A friend of mine sung this song at the hospital I work at.. It was awesome! Just like the old band aide brand song. Even better fact was she was singing this song in reference to one of our doctors:)
Almost no bounds to how foolish people can be. . there is a continuum with all things and people.

Both myself and my wife deal with several clients each day, every day except Sunday. Some are reasonable, some are not.

Learning how to deal with folks is a great skill. Many times I turn what appeared to be a completely irrational person into a tremendous asset and referral powerhouse by being skillfully diplomatic and calming them. My wife even deals with the elderly who can be in pain or mentally challenged by medical issues or prescriptions.

Maybe some folks are lucky and can make their daily bread by just doing something that does not require "people skills". But most folks can greatly improve their effectiveness with a few simple sales and relationship courses...

That first story really disgusted me,not because of the customer's ignorance,but because of the GM (dealership manager?) employee's childish low class name calling aimed at the angry costumer. If I ever got wind of someone calling my daughter those names (if I'd been her father) that guy would be meeting his maker. Such a shame and embarrassment to the human race when someone that old who's in a professional position behaves like a 2 year old.

Steve has is right. When someone is coming across as a real piece of work, it's usually a cry for help. Handle them right, and not only will they not want to go anywhere else for their vehicles; they may even start calling you to find out if you will do other things completely unrelated to your business.

There are those who are so brain damaged, you just can't help. A kindergarten teacher, hostage negotiator, foster parent, or drug counselor would be perfect for customer service at a repair facility.
laugh.gif

That Chevy Colorado brake job sounds like GHT, but a 2010 is too recent for his budget.

So far, I feel bad for the first story teller. The tire tech is a mixed bag. If the college professor wants to watch his baby and thinks it should come back better than before it went into the shop, well I tend to agree with that view. After all, if you are paying for a service, the expectation is not that the tires will get better, but the car will be worse in other ways.

I work in a service business, so I've had my share of outrageous customers. Sometimes, one is better off to fire a customer than to try to earn his money. I think that's what I would do if I was the first story teller. Fix the girls car and tell her that you no longer want to do business with her or her father. Politely, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back