Automatic transmission temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: chuzie
.. I wonder why similar testing has not been accomplished other than the fact that the industry probably sells a lot more fluid at a higher price more frequently since we are probably changing fluid more than necessary based on old test results...

That part of your statement has not been established as fact but infers some kind of collusion or conspiracy that has not been proven.

I don't have access to any more statistics than chuzie, but I would hazard a guess that there's far more unmaintained automatic transmissions out there than properly maintained. It's not like BITOG types are in the majority in our society.

Then again, it's not really a conspiracy unless it can't be proven, right? Otherwise it's just a fact.

I think in most cases we are concerned that the OEM is saying the ATF will last forever, and we believe we should change more frequently.

I change out he first time at 25-30k. I replace OEM with a good brand name if itz not synthetic and run it another 25-30k. If itz synthetic then itz at least another 60k if not 80k miles. Besides adding a gauge and an aftermarket fan/cooler I added a remote throw away oil filter like I use for the engine. I always thought this should be the way OEM was done.

i checked my trans pan temp yesterday when i got home with a laser temp gun. mine said 150 degrees. and it was aprox 68 degrees outside at the time.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
i checked my trans pan temp yesterday when i got home with a laser temp gun. mine said 150 degrees. and it was aprox 68 degrees outside at the time.

And your ATF temp was most likely 175F.

On my Ram after it warms up to operating temperature the ATF is around 175 to 205F. To get it up to 205F we need to driving for hours up and down mountains.

My take away from this OP and White paper is that a modern synthetic fluid that is approved for the specification offers a significant improvement over the original mineral oil based specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back