Mitsubishi Triton oil question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from Cambodia. When I was there my in-laws changed the oil in the 2010 Mitsubishi Triton truck so we could go on several long road trips.

The truck has a 2.5 liter Common-rail Turbo Diesel 4 cylinder engine. The truck has about 30,000 Kilometers (18,600 miles) on it, and usually gets 10,000 kilometer (6,200 miles) OCI's. The weather year around is 90 - 105 Fahrenheit, very dusty environment, and we load the truck full of passengers and coolers of drinks and food. The usual purpose of the truck is city driving, and it is some of the worst traffic jams, stop-and-go mess you could imagine. The rest of the time the truck is driven on the "open" road, and rugged off-road trails to get to waterfalls.

The owners manual says to use 15W40, but the local Caltex station used 20W50 Delo Silver. The Caltex shop says they use 20W50 in all diesel vehicles because of the year round hot and dusty environment. The truck seemed to run fine, didn't run any quieter or louder, but I worry about long term affects of the thicker oil. And, since I don't know diddly about oils...

My questions; Is 20W50 to thick for this application? Should I have my in-laws insist the shops use 15W40 as stated in the manual?

I doubt the 20w-50 would be too thick. I would like a ride in that truck.

Hi,
3for3 - Yes a 20W-50 lubricant is too viscous for these engines

I have a similar vehicle - it has Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 in it and it performs very well with this lubricant in all Ambients

The Handbook Lists;
SAE30 - 0C-40C
20W-40 - -10C-50C>
15W-40 - -15C-50C>
10W-30 - -20C-40C
5W-30 -
I live in the Australian Tropics in Temps up to 45C>

Standards;
ACEA = A3/A4, A3/B4, 0r A5/B5
API CF-4 or above

The 2.5Ltr DOHC turbo/intercooled engines sold in Tritons here are manufactured in Korea

A 20W-50 lubricant is not Listed for these Mitsubishi Diesel engines as you can see and would be way too viscous for use in these engines

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
3for3 - Yes a 20W-50 lubricant is too viscous for these engines

I have a similar vehicle - it has Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 in it and it performs very well with this lubricant in all Ambients

The Handbook Lists;
SAE30 - 0C-40C
20W-40 - -10C-50C>
15W-40 - -15C-50C>
10W-30 - -20C-40C
5W-30 -
I live in the Australian Tropics in Temps up to 45C>

Standards;
ACEA = A3/A4, A3/B4, 0r A5/B5
API CF-4 or above

The 2.5Ltr DOHC turbo/intercooled engines sold in Tritons here are manufactured in Korea

A 20W-50 lubricant is not Listed for these Mitsubishi Diesel engines as you can see and would be way too viscous for use in these engines

Thank you Doug Hillary,

You confirmed my suspicions. I will have my wife call her family and have them change out the oil to a proper viscosity semi-synthetic.

I tried to log-in and ask this question while I was in Cambodia over the past few weeks, but it did not allow me access, very strange. But I am thankful for your help now.

The Triton's in Cambodia are manufactured in Thailand. They are great trucks. I put on some Westlake Radial MT 245/75/16LT 10 ply while I was there. $104 per tire, no installation or tax fees. Flat $416 mounted and out the door. Not familiar with Westlake tires but choices are very limited in their neck of the woods. The tires held up fantastic to over 1,000 kilometers of abusive driving on and offroad. We drove all over Cambodia and to Thailand.

Hey honey. Call your parents on the other side of the globe and let them know I read on an internet forum that the oil in their truck is a smidge too viscous. While you're at it make sure to tell them I said to use a semi-synthetic.

I'm not thinking about the truck, just how this message from the concerned son in law may be received.

When I worked at a Mitsi dealership we would run them on a Fuchs CI-4 15/40. Or for warranty purposes we would use Mitsubishi's MSL - I have no idea what it was, nothing was said on the bottle, but maybe a 10/30, and we used it on everything, from Evo's to Tritons.

The 2.5 engine is the 4D56, it's been around forever and will run on anything. But in the Triton it's common rail and has a lot of egr - intake deposits can be a problem. I wouldn't go any thicker than 15/40.

Originally Posted By: Silk
When I worked at a Mitsi dealership we would run them on a Fuchs CI-4 15/40. Or for warranty purposes we would use Mitsubishi's MSL - I have no idea what it was, nothing was said on the bottle, but maybe a 10/30, and we used it on everything, from Evo's to Tritons.

The 2.5 engine is the 4D56, it's been around forever and will run on anything. But in the Triton it's common rail and has a lot of egr - intake deposits can be a problem. I wouldn't go any thicker than 15/40.

Thank you Silk,

I appreciate the confirmation.

My in-laws will be going with Total 10W40. They said it is a synthetic based product according to the technician at the Total shop. Sounds perfect for the very hot humid, dusty and hectic conditions out there. 10W30 and 5W30 were not available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back