Slow down or stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 4 AM when a driver approaches a stop sign, slows down, determines it's clear and goes on through it without stopping. He is immediately pulled over and explains to the Officer that the intersection was still clear whether he just slowed down or stopped. So what is the difference? The Officer says I'll show you the difference and you may not get a ticket when I'm done. The Officer then starts beating the man with his nightstick and says to him, now do you want me to slow down........or stop?

Originally Posted By: JimR

It's 4 AM when a driver approaches a stop sign, slows down, determines it's clear and goes on through it without stopping. He is immediately pulled over and explains to the Officer that the intersection was still clear whether he just slowed down or stopped. So what is the difference? The Officer says I'll show you the difference and you may not get a ticket when I'm done. The Officer then starts beating the man with his nightstick and says to him, now do you want me to slow down........or stop?

Not a necessary post.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: JimR

Not a necessary post.

I'd say yours was more pointless than his considering what section we're in.
thumbsup2.gif

Not a necessary post.

I agree. The post was funny and your post was unnecessary and added nothing to the conversation.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Not a necessary post.

I agree. The post was funny and your post was unnecessary and added nothing to the conversation.

I just don't think it was funny in the first place. Especially in light of the recent issues of police brutality.

It wasn't very funny, however this is the humor section... now if you would have followed the story with "to soon" ??? that would have been worth a chuckle.. but its still in bad taste right now.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
To be fair, it's a pretty old joke, I've heard this one years ago.

Yeah, it's old.

And yep, this is the Humor section. Nowhere does it says it has to be Good Humor......

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Not a necessary post.

I just don't think it was funny in the first place. Especially in light of the recent issues of police brutality.

Someone who shall remain anonymous here (Quattro Pete), once explained to me I expect too much from a forum populated by Walmart employees. Although I have no sense of humor, so I'm being told, I am glad this joke isn't about the difference of shooting someone point blank in the face in self-defense versus shooting someone cowardly in the back.

Have we (as a society) become so PC we can't laugh at serious things?

Saying JimR's joke was about police brutality is like saying the joke about the chicken, the pig, the eggs & bacon breakfast and the difference between being involved and being committed (the chicken was involved, the pig was committed) is about why everybody should be vegetarian. It's not, the animals are used to illustrate, in a humorous way, the difference between two concepts. It's funny because you aren't the pig, family of the pig or friends with the pig because the pig is fictional. Even a hard-core vegan with a pot-bellied pig as a pet has got to chuckle a bit at the joke unless they have zero sense of humour.

Not joking (even obliquely) about police brutality, or any other problems in society, is not going to make them go away. You could even say the joke is against the brutality as clearly the unfortunate motorist is going to want the beating to stop, the beating is a bad thing to him same as the pig ending up as bacon is quite the commitment on its part.

Last edited:
It's an old joke, very old, and quite funny...to be equating it today with Police brutality is to be overly PC/overly sensitive.

Here's an old one that's still funny too.

(Hope QP like it BRZED)

We're not entirely Walmart employees...and not all of us are so PC and/or easily offended that we've forgotten what a joke is...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
We're not entirely Walmart employees...and not all of us are so PC and/or easily offended that we've forgotten what a joke is...

I forget who said the following, but I don't think it was Dr Seuss: 'There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.' That joke has a sadistic streak, because it derives pleasure/laughter from pain. Can't you see how that might be offensive to someone? Would you tell a holocaust survivor the classic joke about the difference between a pizza and a Jew and expect him to find it funny? It's really about where do you draw the line? While I don't find the posted joke either particularly offensive nor very funny, I have the capacity to see how it can be objectionable to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back