Gearbox oil for Toyota Aygo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I am in a search for gearbox oil for my Peugeot 107 which is mechanically identical to Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1. These cars have the same gearboxes and engines however they seem to ask for different type of oils for gearbox:

- Toyota Aygo calls for API GL4 75W-90 (Toyota technical datasheet at http://oi44.tinypic.com/eq6hc.jpg)
- Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 calls for ExxonMobil LV 75 W GL.4 (Haynes manual)

I can conclude that GL4 75W-90 is not the same as GL4 75W, correct? Looking at different forums I can see that people are using sometimes 75W and sometimes 75W-90 oils and everything is fine.

Does it mean that these oils are interchangeable?

Gearbox will work fine on almost any GL4 MT fluid.
75w, 75w80, 75w85, 75w90... stick with a full synthetic and don't use a GL5 fluid.

Use the thinner fluids for colder climates and for fuel economy.

The new synthetic LV 75w 5.5-8cst fluids provide the same level of protection as the ol' factory fill 14cst conventional 90 grades.

The only issue with thin fluids is that a little more gearbox noise can be heard.

I can see a similar separation of opinions here as well: some people suggest 75W GL-4 and some people suggest 75W-90 GL-4.

So, which one is the correct?
smile.gif

Hmm. I've looked around more now, and I'm seeing both too. I even found mention of a straight grade 75w Toyota product. Having never seen that before, I could have been wrong.

Do you have access to a factory Peugeot manual? I'd like to see what that says.

Bandito440,

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Do you have access to a factory Peugeot manual? I'd like to see what that says.

Yep, I do have it. But the manual only states the specs for engine oil, not for gearbox. I went through all pages and there is nothing there related to gearbox.

Well, it appears I was wrong, and straight grade 75w is what the factory wants you to use.

http://www.c1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8276&start=10

I'm still looking for a factory shop manual. No luck yet.

I found a few products that meet the spec including Castrol Syntrans FE 75w. I've never seen anything like that in North America, but it's hard enough just to find a car with a manual transmission here.

Well, on the other hand it will be hard to explain this doc from Toyota as it recommends 75W-90 for the very same car:

8zr18m.jpg

Last edited:
Since mechanically the Aygo, is mechanically identical to the
Pug 107, and Citroen C1, I'm almost 100% certain that you should be using a straight 75W GL-4 gear oil. Castrol Syntrans 75 FE is an excellent product and readily available in Switzerland.

antiqueshell,

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Since mechanically the Aygo, is mechanically identical to the
Pug 107, and Citroen C1, I'm almost 100% certain that you should be using a straight 75W GL-4 gear oil. Castrol Syntrans 75 FE is an excellent product and readily available in Switzerland.

I actually bought two liters of Castrol Syntrans 75 FE a few months ago and now I was reading all these posts about 75W vs 75W-90 so I was hesitating of using it.

I will probably give it a try and see how it feels.

hi all, i wanted to do the gearbox oil change on the aygo too, but im not sure on the oil grade,
straight 75W crops up as well as 75w-90 so im not sure which to go with.

some people are saying straight 75W was used for the MPG and CO2 figures to be low and having 75-90 is a better solution. but im not sure.
any other opinions? i dont want to risk putting in 75w-90 and having a busted gearbox.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
i dont want to risk putting in 75w-90 and having a busted gearbox.

I cannot see failure here if you used GL-4 75W-90 in the gearbox. The Toyota manual shown in this thread approves its use. Do not use GL-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back