2015 Kia Rio long-haul reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 100K powertrain warranty to me is just insurance that can be adjudicated by the manufacturer when something goes wrong. You might have to fight for it like any other manufacturer. Not a particular selling point for me when I bought my Hyundai but it could potentially come in handy. My 2009 Mazda had major ( inherent ) engine problems not long after their 60K warranty ran out. Never had a well maintained car bought new do that to me.

Not sure about the long term durability of the Gamma II engine but I'd probably agree that the weak spot may well be the transmissions with all the cars listed if you want to push 200K miles. CVTs aren't really transmissions to me so if you needed an automatic and only a CVT was offered on the Corolla, that would be a deal breaker. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
My 2009 Mazda had major ( inherent ) engine problems not long after their 60K warranty ran out. Never had a well maintained car bought new do that to me.

My 2000 Mazda MPV had a host of problems right around 96K miles. Purchased new and maintained it. Happy to sell it. Never again Mazda.

The 100K powertrain warranty to me is just insurance that can be adjudicated by the manufacturer when something goes wrong. You might have to fight for it like any other manufacturer. Not a particular selling point for me when I bought my Hyundai but it could potentially come in handy. My 2009 Mazda had major ( inherent ) engine problems not long after their 60K warranty ran out. Never had a well maintained car bought new do that to me.

Not sure about the long term durability of the Gamma II engine but I'd probably agree that the weak spot may well be the transmissions with all the cars listed if you want to push 200K miles. CVTs aren't really transmissions to me so if you needed an automatic and only a CVT was offered on the Corolla, that would be a deal breaker. YMMV.

You can get an old-design 4-speed auto on the base model, but its a real bare-bones car. Or a six speed manual on the base and the top trim line. Otherwise its CVT. I owned one briefly and I actually liked the CVT, and the fuel economy was awesome. I had the version which also had different valve management tech to maximize fuel economy. I averaged over 45 with it, but it was too uncomfortable for my knee and had to trade it. There have been multiple instances of the valve management system having a meltdown and stranding the car. Its a 2000 dollar repair out of warranty. I don't think the Corolla is going to be the reliability king anymore, at least for a while. The car did not seem well-assembled and a lot of the parts seemed dated on bottom-barrel, doors were very tinny sounding. Decided to return to the old tried and true Civic. no DI and an old-fashioned 5-speed stick, last year before they move them to Mexico assembly plant that has been very troubleseome with making the Fit. Feels more solid and little unknown tech in it. Gets about 41 mpg so far. It needs a sixth gear and it would probably get closer to 45.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
My 2009 Mazda had major ( inherent ) engine problems not long after their 60K warranty ran out. Never had a well maintained car bought new do that to me.

My 2000 Mazda MPV had a host of problems right around 96K miles. Purchased new and maintained it. Happy to sell it. Never again Mazda.

The MPV wasn't one of Mazda's better or more reliable vehicles.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
t it has one of the lowest crash scores.

Do you mean low HIC, chest, femur numbers? I can't find that information for the current Rio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back