Protein Shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best out there? 25 years ago I didn't need any supplements to build muscle; putting on muscle back then was easy. Heck, I could put on muscle just by eating cheese burgers and french fries. Fast forward to today, it's a whole different ball game. I don't know if it's a reduction in natural testosterone level or what, all I know is it's struggle.

I try to do 60 situps and 10 pushups a day. While the situps are getting easier, the pushups are not. 25 years ago, if I wanted to, I could do 10 pushups on Sunday, 15 push ups on Monday, 20 pushups on Tuesday, 25 pushups on Wednesday, 30 pushups on Thursday, 35 pushups on Friday, and 40 pushups on Saturday.

Now if we go back even further, say 35 years ago when I was in basic training, I was doing at least 200 pushups a day. The more trouble you got in, the more pushups you'd do. I got in alotta trouble back then. My ears are still ringing from all the yelling directed at me.
grin2.gif

All they do is damage your kidneys. More exercise and and don't worry about intake. God knows we eat enough in this country.

Your physical decline supports my hypothesis that regular physical exertion is in the long run detrimental to your physical well-being. Take it easy or you'll pull your groin muscle or worse!

Depends on your goals. There are different supplements for different purposes/goals. Based on what you said, i'd say that your best bet is just getting a regular protein shake such as Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein (There are lots of other alternatives) and just eat healthy and exercise.
Try this site: www.bodybuilding.com

Last edited:
Protein shakes should not be meal replacement on a regular basis.

Another rule to follow is to only eat food and drink some extra water each day if you're working out. Skip the food substitutes, the chemicals, the fake sugars and other such nonsense.

You should be the one making the choices, not some slick advertising campaign.

Good food can sometimes be more expensive in the short run and often time consuming to prepare. But it's a screaming good deal in the long run.

Your digestive system is your immune system.

One secret to life that many people never learn is to keep busy. The human body and mind are meant to work. Once you kick back the slide begins.

I like MusclePharm Combat Powder - especially the Cookies & Cream when it goes on sale at Costco - about $36 for 5 lbs. I mix 8oz water with 8oz whole milk (11g carbs) with a big rounded scoop. I only use it as a meal replacement after a workout once or twice a week. Good flavor, mixes well. Most of the time I just eat 3 eggs with cheese cooked on low heat in coconut oil. We all need to eat more fat as well as protein. No vegetable oil - just olive & coconut oil or butter for me. Keep the carbs under 50g/day and you'll be fine.

If you tolerate milk well, studies show a big glass of chocolate milk after your workout is very effective.

I tried 5 or 6 different protein shakes, all made me pass blood out my butt when I took a poop.

Switched back to eggs, beef, chicken and pulses, feel healthier and don't bleed any more.

All natural FTW!!

Each person will metabolize protein a little differently from an efficiency perspective and the body's ability or tolerance of specific forms of protein may change over time and age. You'll need to experiment and see which form of protein seems to agree best with your gastro tract. If it doesn't agree with your tract, it's not absorbing well and it's wasted effort.

Also, do squats. Doesn't have to be barbell weighted squats, but at least a good number of reps in good form w/o weight similar to the number of push ups you mentioned. Increases blood flow to your stones which in turn helps with testosterone production, which in turn helps with building and maintaining muscle.

I buy Body Fortress whey protein powder from Walmart. It's only $15 for a 32 ounce container. 60 grams of protein per serving and zero sugars. Mixes in milk perfectly,leaving no residue on the bottom of the glass,not gritty,and tastes great. I always get vanilla flavor.

I swear by this brand,give it a try.

I like the Pea Protein from Now Sports. It doesn't taste at all, which is why my smoothie recipe includes that, almond milk, a banana and sometimes peanut butter.

When hormones are 'off', so are many other things. Both men and women are consuming far, far too many fake and xenoestrogens from the fact that our lives are inundated with plastics. The BPA and other plastic chemicals get into our food, water and personal products and hence they mimic estrogen in the body. Another source of bad estrogen is the Atrazine herbicide that's now showing up in many water supplies.

No disrespect but I'd be surprised if your T levels are not low. Its becoming very common for us chaps.

This is something that Ive been addressing for over a year. If you want to go down this road of hormones, methylation etc then PM me, I've learnt a lot!

As for the powders, if you can, use something organic, be careful of the sweeteners in excess. I cant tolerate whey and use all plant based products, buts thats me. The way we eat has changed but good quality, organic whole foods are THE foundation of eating, as Im sure you know.

After that, im a HUGE advocate of simple old school H.I.T. (High Intensity Training) as developed by Arthur Jones, founder of Nautilus 40 some years ago. Doing 1 set to failure on each of 11 to 12 machines (4-6 for lwr body & 6-8 for upr body) will take no more than 45 minutes and should be done of 3 non-consecutive days a week. This will have you KEEP muscles mass as you age and doesn't have you spending ridiculous amounts of time in a gym.

I am blessed, I guess. At 51, I still work out 2X a week, and as a former collegiate power lifter, I can maintain muscle mass with ease. Not many (naturally built) 50-somethings that still have a pronounced V shape.

The running abilities, well, that's a whole 'nother matter, LOL.

I'd rather have natural protein intake if trying to build/repair muscles. Couple boiled eggs, lean meats like turkey and tuna, and natural peanut butter by the spoonful.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's the best out there? 25 years ago I didn't need any supplements to build muscle; putting on muscle back then was easy. Heck, I could put on muscle just by eating cheese burgers and french fries. Fast forward to today, it's a whole different ball game. I don't know if it's a reduction in natural testosterone level or what, all I know is it's struggle.

I try to do 60 situps and 10 pushups a day. While the situps are getting easier, the pushups are not. 25 years ago, if I wanted to, I could do 10 pushups on Sunday, 15 push ups on Monday, 20 pushups on Tuesday, 25 pushups on Wednesday, 30 pushups on Thursday, 35 pushups on Friday, and 40 pushups on Saturday.

Now if we go back even further, say 35 years ago when I was in basic training, I was doing at least 200 pushups a day. The more trouble you got in, the more pushups you'd do. I got in alotta trouble back then. My ears are still ringing from all the yelling directed at me.
grin2.gif

I don't think your issue is protein intake. From the sound of it, the issue is age and/or being out of shape. Ease into the pushups slowly but steadily to build strength.

Your declining ability to perform various exercises and increase muscle mass just by merely thinking about it is a product of higher testosterone levels you had in your youth vs lower level now. As you age testosterone levels decrease. Just a fact of life. You can still gain muscle mass and do exercises but it will take a lot more work (to eat right and moderate exercise) and you still might not be able to get to where you once were. The days of eating garbage food and remaining fit are over. It takes real dedication past 40 years old.

Do a search online for protein shake: Do they really work? You will be surprised. Here is one for instance:

http://www.livescience.com/8086-protein-supplement-myth-revealed-body-work.html

Also look up scooby1961 on youtube. He also describes how protein powder is one of the.worst.ways. to obtain protein in your diet. The guy is unconventional but very intelligent and the proof is in the pudding.

Bottom line: eat real unprocessed protein/nutrient rich food in it's most natural forms and it will yield the most healthy results...and sugar is poison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
For testosterone levels, expose yourself to sunlight.

...and maintain regular intimate relations with your spouse.

...lol but not necessarily at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back